Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New on Nitro and this forum >

New on Nitro and this forum

New on Nitro and this forum

Old 02-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New on Nitro and this forum

Well as the title says i new to nitro cars. For the last year i have been driving and modding my E-maxx.

I recently picked up a used Nitro buggy that needs work. I have had it start a few times and it will stay running but it takes a while to start it. And once i shut it off it wont start up again for a while, and it is totally untuned.

Im hoping someone can point me in the right directions as to fix those 2 problems. For the tuning im living up at 7500 feet right now so i know it is going to be difficult. But as for it taking about 15-30 minutes just to start it...kind of annoying.

And pointers in the right direction would be great

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

The first thing I would do to an engine that I am unsure of is rebuild it. There are tons of rebuild info threads on here. And if there isn't don't be afraid to ask someone at a local track. Or start a new thread on here. But IMO, you should have stuck with the electric. They can be a lot faster, are so much easier to deal with and maintain. You know, there are brushless and LiPo conversions for a lot of 1/8 buggies. Or with a little fabrication, you could create your own conversion out of an existing conversion kit.

On another note, a rebuild shouldn't be that expensive. Probably about $50-$70 to do a complete rebuild. It would bring a complete new life to your engine.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info. I didnt even know there were rebuild kits out there.

I still have the electric and it is running strong. I just picked up the nitro as the kid couldnt get it running up at this altitude so i practically stole it from him. The Emaxx is my main car, i just want something i can bea the shit out of whenever i feel like it. lol
Old 02-05-2008, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Emaxx rider
Thanks for the info. I didnt even know there were rebuild kits out there.

I still have the electric and it is running strong. I just picked up the nitro as the kid couldnt get it running up at this altitude so i practically stole it from him. The Emaxx is my main car, i just want something i can bea the shit out of whenever i feel like it. lol
theres less air at high altitude so tune it lean accordingly. it was probably at factory, and theres no way it'll work at those settings up there.

p.s. how high up are you in meters?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Nitro Blues

You have two different problems that may be linked.
How hot does your engine get while running, does your engine idle steady?

The problem with hard starting can be several things.
(1) Air leak in fuel line or around fuel filters or leaking engine back plate.
(2) Not priming and charging engine correctly, getting fuel to pull up to the carb.
(3) Old fuel

All will make starting a hard job. Also will cause restarting to be hard.

A good suggestion, Find a Nitro group in your area. Most of these guys will bend over backwards to help a neweby with a car problem. That is what I would try first. Newbys & Nitro cars are not a good match to many variables to go wrong.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Tech Rookie

i dont really know how hot the engine is running. I dont particulaly want to touch the engine and dont have a thermometer. Also, I dont really know how it runs at idle. I have it turned up to get it to start and as i turn it back down slowly it just dies out.

I know its not old fuel, and im priming it right. When it is running i can see the fuel running through the lie and there is no air bubbles in it.

What exactly is the back plate?

Oh and im at about 2200 meters
Old 02-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Nitro NO NO

Well if you do not see any bubbles don't worry about the engine back plate.
It may be that the top in air mixture is set incorrectly, try to needle back you engine for less RPM's at top speed.

Have you changed you glow plug?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:53 AM
Tech Adept

WHAT MOTOR/ THE MOTOR BRAND AND SIZE SHOULD BE WRITTEN ON THE SIDE OF THE BLOCK AND THE MANUFACTURER IS THERE AS WELL.DOES THE MOTOR HAVE TWO NEEDLES OR THREE? TO FIND OUT LOOK AT THE CARBY THE BRASS TUBRE THAT GOES UP IS THE TOP,THE ONE IN THE BARREL IS THE BOTTON,THE ONE IN THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CARB BODY IS THE MIDDLE AND THE FOURTH SCREW IS THE IDLE SET SCREW
WHAT ARE THEY SET AT AND WHAT FUEL AND PLUG ARE YOU USING
Old 02-06-2008, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by little man
WHAT MOTOR/ THE MOTOR BRAND AND SIZE SHOULD BE WRITTEN ON THE SIDE OF THE BLOCK AND THE MANUFACTURER IS THERE AS WELL.DOES THE MOTOR HAVE TWO NEEDLES OR THREE? TO FIND OUT LOOK AT THE CARBY THE BRASS TUBRE THAT GOES UP IS THE TOP,THE ONE IN THE BARREL IS THE BOTTON,THE ONE IN THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CARB BODY IS THE MIDDLE AND THE FOURTH SCREW IS THE IDLE SET SCREW
WHAT ARE THEY SET AT AND WHAT FUEL AND PLUG ARE YOU USING
*bangs head on table*
Attached Thumbnails New on Nitro and this forum-caps_lock.jpg