B4: Kit vs RTR, Questions.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B4: Kit vs RTR, Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

I really liked HPI's E-Firestorm platform, but it only comes in an RTR. So, I enjoyed the underpowered truck right out of the box. I knew I would be hopping it up, something here, something there after I picked it up, but I wasn't necessarily sure what everything was that I wanted..which goes for tools as well as parts. So I was able to enjoy the vehicle while I worked throught those decisions, plus actually having something to run helped me to understand what I needed or simply just wanted. The items that evenually were replaced are useful as either spares, or just out-right throw-away items which in reality didn't add a whole lot to the initial cost of the RTR to begin with. By this point the only items I haven't had disassembled or out of the truck yet are the steering servo, servo saver, front bulkhead, rear toe blocks, and steering uprights. I haven't glued the tires for this yet but I had the joy of doing 8 tires in one sitting for my 1/16 Tamiya Tamtech-Gear GB-01 buggies so I know the joy of that experience. I guess the only other thing I haven't spent a ton of time doing is cutting plastic parts off of sprues.

So, I really don't feel like I missed out on building the truck up from kit. I've wrenched on it plenty by this point, and now I have the truck I wanted (short of a high torque servo, but I think I've got one lined up for a great price).

I'm sure building a truck up from a kit is a great experience (and if there's a kit out there I want to run and have the time for I'll do it), but it isn't in all cases a better value for everyone, even newbs. I was up and running for a grand total of $250. Now I'm invested quite a bit more than that but I've had the time to be pretty deliberate about every purchase I have made since.