Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Never been to a track, had a question... >

Never been to a track, had a question...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never been to a track, had a question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Never been to a track, had a question...

I've always been a basher, looking to get into racing. I've never been to a track before, but plan on going to one very soon. I had a question though. Do I need to bring extra crystals for my transmitter and receiver in case someone is already using the one I use now? If so, how many/what channels should I bring?

Thanks, and sorry if I sound like a complete no0b. Haha
Old 01-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Welcome to the world of racing!!!

Unless you are running a spektrum type setup, yes, definately take extra sets of crystals.

Most hobby shops will carry them. Some places will actually let you "borrow" some. The best advice I could give you is check ahead of time with the person running the races and see what are the most popular channels that are ran and then buy a not so popular channel. At the tracks I have been to, I have always gotten there early and signed up right away. First come first serve so to speak. And get your channel reserved before anyone else does.

Most tracks have what they call a "channel board" Like mine, it is just a bunch of clothes pins on a board with a different channel number on them, pick the one that is your channel, put it at the base of your antenna on your radio when you practice. when finished turn off your radio and put the clip back up on the board, but do NOT turn your radio on until you have that clip or its your turn to race.

Got any more questions? Just ask. Thats what we are here for. Hope you have fun....
Old 01-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

its ok bro we all have to start somewhere man its been a long time since i have used crystals but yes back in the day i would take 3 sets including the ones i was using at that point makes things a whole ton easier

if you are running those kinds of radios still word of advice leave it off if you are not racing if it is on in the pits and you cause a racer to glitch he will be very mad cause a simple glitch can cost a race so keep your radio off during the races every one will love you for it
Old 01-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for the info! Helps me a lot. I think I should get a better radio soon
Old 01-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

i think i better invest in some crystals B4 MV next week then cos i have only got the crystal that came with the car back to the hobby shop i go....
Old 01-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)

Well if you go to a racetrack, 90% of people are on 2.4g so it leaves the channels open, you will prob be safe with two channels.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

ok cheers
Old 01-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i would say find the track that you are wanting to go to and go scope t out the first time. check it all out (spend a few hours) look for problems to arise and see how they are handled then if you like it go and if they offer different nights or days scope them out first if you do go race the first day take everything that you can you never know what you will need better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it. and if you dont have it see if you can borrow it (with in reason)
Old 01-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

yes, well atm i have zero spare parts, so ill go to the first race meeting so i can get my truck running good, and then ill spend some cash on parts that i will need. ROOKIE4.6, and a FREAK, offered there expertise and labour to help me set my truck up for racing, the motor i have in my truck mow is ok for bashing, but im going to get a race engine soon, so that it can be sorta competative, with the help of a few guys im sure ill be fine, thanks mate.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

i was looking at buying a pair of front and rear alloy bumpers for my LST, it would look tuff as, BUT, what i want to know is will it be good for racing? i know they weigh heaps more than the plastic ones... its not like im gonna finish anywhere near first anyway but as far as it being strong when it crashes, is it a good idea to get these?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

also, what are the most common parts that break or wear out first on LST's, what parts should i buy first?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Tech Adept

with that question i would go to the monster truck forum and start a thread and ask the guys there
Old 01-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

ok thanks, ill try that
Old 01-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Tech Adept

also when i started racing (sounds sarcastic) i bought what broke first titanium pins and turn buckles and you might want to invest (25.00) in a forward only tranny gears and they also have cows it is a Center One Way System it allows the front wheels to roll instead of pulling the rears with it you can also look at what the lst2 has that you dont and some of the guys are going lst2 muggy hybrid hope this helps
Old 01-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

ok thanks for that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.