Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100% new with no clue

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

I won't get into the nitro vs electric bit, but I am a fairly recent return to RC. I had some experience but not a huge amount. I bought a Traxxas Jato 3.3 (nitro). Its an RTR and I have been extremely pleased.

If you are straight out of the box 100 new, I would start with something a little less powerful as the 3.3 is very fast. They have several less powerful RTR's. The Traxxas support is superb and the documentation is excellent for a newb. I had several conversations with their technical staff resolving some engine tuning problems and was very happy with their support. Traxxas parts and aftermarket grade-ups are plentiful and everyone seems to carry them.

I don't know how the Traxxas RTR's do for racing but for bashing they are easy to operate, pretty easy to work on, and not that expensive to fix (and you will break stuff).
Old 01-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've heard a lot about the new Duratrax Evader ETX being a really good truck, and seeing as my Nitro Evader ST has been really good to me, I would say get the ETX
Old 01-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

On the nitro..To me it would depend on the mechanical skills of the "rookie"..and what they expect from the hobby..You cant really go wrong with most of the "name brand" cars/trucks on the market nowadays..Just keep away from the no name ebay stuff and you'll be fine..
Old 01-02-2008, 03:11 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

even if u dont wanna race, check out tracks in ur area (and shops if they have em) and get a better idea of whats out there and what works for you. be a shame to get a stadium, then see a track thats a good time that has all buggies for example.

btw, most upgrades, purely hype and $ wastes, the base truck (or buggy) is more than fine for the purpose at hand. we just kid ourselves sometimes that if we spend more we have to go faster, its just not possible to not be true. sadly many cases, it is.

R
Old 01-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

ONLY BUY NAME BRAND i cant stress this enough and make sure they can gat or have parts traxxas is a great beginer truck if you dont want to go racing but if you want to race add 1-200 to your budget if you can and buy a PRO car it will pay for its self in the long run