Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's with rookies and nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

What's with rookies and nitro?

What's with these people that have never touched an RC, and say, "Oh Im getting a gas!" WTF!?!? I hate that!! My friend's always saying that. It pisses me off. Why dont beginners understand that gas is no way to start the RC world?
Old 06-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I don't see anything wrong with that. Its true gas is a little more difficult at first but it depends on the person and their mechanical ability.

I know plenty of people who started into gas before electric and they're doing pretty well.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

LosiFromHell986 - Why did you start this thread?, it is completely pointless and stupid. Newbies can start with what ever they want, nitro isn't that hard as long as you are willing to do some work to get results. Break in the engine, tune it and your pretty much set except for a little bit of tuning now and then if required. Sure there are complications sometimes with the powerplant but it's the same with electric unless your running a brushless or a sealed motor.

Please close this topic someone.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think its just all about the speed of one and the sound. All my friends at school are like that. They see mine run and think its the easiest thing, but its not.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Nitro for beginners

Hi,

I have been in the hobby for 25 years.

If I were to start today, I would probably choose nitro because of the speed and realism (even if I were a total beginner).

Nitro also requires less equipment, and is cheaper in the long run.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Attached Thumbnails What's with rookies and nitro?-group120.jpg  
Old 06-13-2003, 02:29 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Why newbies like Nitro...

10) noise!
9) smell!
8) the noise!
7) they think it "goes faster"
6) they make noise!
5) boys like dirty things
4) lotsa noise!
3) hot engine to burn your hand on
2) makes hella racket...
1) electric car sure can't as easily annoy your neighbours/family/grandparents...
Old 06-13-2003, 05:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

I was pretty much a newbie to RC about 2 months ago when I bought my RC10GT. However, I am not a newbie to 2 stroke engines, so I didn't find it difficult at all. The same concepts still apply.
Old 06-14-2003, 01:16 AM
Tech Master

RTR's .

That's it and all that matters. Traxxas has a nitro RTR that goes 60mph!

Whippee they all say and then they hear one, yell whippee yet again.

When people come into the hobby, they think they will be mistaken for a little kid with a Radio shak car if their's runs on batteries. Men don't like being taken for boys. Even if they end up looking like an idiot when they fry their clutch, burn out their engine, destroy their servos from bad EPA settings and vibration, and crash their car into 6 pieces while figuring out at top speed how to turn the car right when it is coming from straight ahead.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

I see no problem with it. Running electric cars first doesn't teach you anything about tuning a nitro, they have nothing to do with each other.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Losi,

I started out with nitro about 3 months ago. Before this the only R/C cars i ever had was tyco cars. the reason i wanted nitro was because of one thing. I HATE RECHARGING BATTERIES! It takes too much time, plus you have to get expensive dischager/rechargers if you want your batteries to last. Plus not to mention batteries that only last about 5 minutes that cost about 70 to over 100 bucks. Before i bought my first car i weighed the pros and cons of nitro and battery. I chose nitro because i would rather have to tune the engine (which i know is no easy task and i'm still learning how to tune all the time) and clean a little mess than have to deal with chargers, batteries, motors, motor lathes, esc's, etc. I think electric is more expensive than nitro, especially if you want to go fast and be able to spend more than 5 minutes on the track.

now with that said, i may later on get an electric because in miami it rains alot in the summer and i wouldnt mind trying my hand at a little carpet racing. And when the recharging/discharging get on my nerves i'll sell it to a newbie. XRAY T1R here i come...once i save about a grand

oh i forgot one thing...........soldering, bah humbug
Old 06-15-2003, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

see thats me. I just decided to get a gas. My charger just melted 4/5 of my effing batts. +its time to move up.
BTW i hate charging batts too!
Old 06-20-2003, 05:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I also have been in the hobby for quite a few years,I own both and i prefer electric over nitro,I never found it hard to push a button on my chargers..LOL,but i really dont play i just like to race so the wait on batterys is not to bad,if you are just playing i think nitro is good..well racing them is cool also.I think that in the long run nitro is also cheaper(well if you dont count broken parts)As long as you enjoy thats all that matters,plus one more cool thing with rookies buying nitro's for their first cars..when they quit cause they cant keep them running right you can buy them for real cheap and most of the time it's an easy fix..
Old 07-02-2003, 11:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by LosiFromHell986
see thats me. I just decided to get a gas. My charger just melted 4/5 of my effing batts. +its time to move up.
BTW i hate charging batts too!

Losi...AFter a month, I finally understand. Your mad because you dont have a nitro yet!
Old 07-24-2003, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Talking

nitrosaurus - You figured me out! See I really blew it when i bought a T3 instead of a GT, I want a GT really bad, but cant afford it right now, + my parents wont let me get a gas.....they think its bulls*** that I have "3 cars!!!!" whoopdedoo!! My Buddy has 12! they think the hobby is a financial Drain. At least I'm not spending it on bad stuff!! (Drugs, etc)
Old 07-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by LosiFromHell986
At least I'm not spending it on bad stuff!! (Drugs, etc)
True dat my brutha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.