Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
XXX-4 nose dives on jumps... what to do. >

XXX-4 nose dives on jumps... what to do.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XXX-4 nose dives on jumps... what to do.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default XXX-4 nose dives on jumps... what to do.

Hey guys,

I just purchased a used XXX-4 G+ roller and i took it to the track the other day. Seems like every time i tried to take a jump, it would look good but then the nose would start to come down. By the time the car landed, it was at a 45 degree angle or worse, and would dig in and start flipping end over end.

Can you guys suggest some thing to help this? Right now im running a 12t double. It seems like too much motor for the car on the small track that we are on. I have it geared 19/92. I am not very used to driving the car yet, but anything past about half throttle the car would get out of control, and even on the longest straights was WAY too fast.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hit the throttle in the air it should level it out
Old 12-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Tech Adept

That didn't seem to help.

When you jump, do you throttle into the jump, then let off for a second, then use throttle to level it?
Old 12-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

PUT A FASTER MOTOR IN IT AND THAN HIT THE THROTTLE, THAT WILL HELP LOL,

IN ALL REALITY THE THROTTLE TRICK NORMALLY WORKS BUT BALANCE COULD BE OFF ARE ALL ELECTRONICS TO REAR AND THE BATTERIES , IF NOT TRY MOVING THEM, IF SO TRY PUTTING SOME LEAD WEIGHT IN REAR TO HELP BALANCE

HOPE IT HELPS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT SERIOUSLY YOU PUT A FASTER MOTOR IN THAT THING IT WILL AND I MEAN IT WILLLLLL PULL UP ...........
Old 12-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

is the belt tighen up?
Old 12-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

I think the last thing this car needs is a faster motor, at least on this track. I cant see that being the problem, especially when people run these things with 19t or stock motors and dont have this problem.

The belt is fairly tight. I didn't want to get it TOO tight so i put a decent amount of tension on it. It isn't slipping.

Right now i have the battery in the rear position. The ESC is sitting behind the motor, and the reciever is as far back as it can be.

If i stiffen up the front, so it doesn't squat as much then unload in the air, would this help?
Old 12-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Are you running the battery positioned towards the back of the car? If not run it in the back position, this should help alot.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is it every jump on the track or just one in particular? At my track there was one jump i had nose dive issues on but the rest where fine, its tuff to reset up a car for one jump, so i found rolling the jump or letting off before it was faster then trying to jump it and risk rolling over.

Where is the jump on the track? infront of a long straigh? A short strait? Whats the approach like?

First thing i wanna look at is your spring and dampening combo, if your too soft in the rear you could be bottoming out at the base of the jump and that causes your azz-end to come up once in the air.

IF your comming at this thing from a long straight a WOT its possible your simply not sprung right to make the jump.

Slipper is not too loose? if too loose you may not get your in air throttle responce
Old 12-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
Is it every jump on the track or just one in particular? At my track there was one jump i had nose dive issues on but the rest where fine, its tuff to reset up a car for one jump, so i found rolling the jump or letting off before it was faster then trying to jump it and risk rolling over.

Where is the jump on the track? infront of a long straigh? A short strait? Whats the approach like?

First thing i wanna look at is your spring and dampening combo, if your too soft in the rear you could be bottoming out at the base of the jump and that causes your azz-end to come up once in the air.

IF your comming at this thing from a long straight a WOT its possible your simply not sprung right to make the jump.

Slipper is not too loose? if too loose you may not get your in air throttle responce
This is a fairly small track. Its an oval, with the rest of the course inside it. This particular jump is shortly after a turn. If i barely get air, im fine, but if i try to punch it before the jump so that i get a decent amount of air, it nose dives. Basically it seems the higher the car comes off the ground the worse the problem is. I have as much weight in the rear of the car as possible. Battery is in rear position, electronics are as far to the rear as they can be. Im running silver springs on the front and pinks in the rear. Im not sure what weight the shock oil is in the car, as i bought it used. I need to set it up to be able to get good air on this jump, as its one of the longest straights inside the oval, so i would be losing a lot of speed if i had to baby it through this section.

A friend suggested maybe putting a bit of weight in the front. The theory behind that was so that the front would come up harder and with more inertia?

I used to race 2wd trucks a long time ago, and never had this problem... but on the trucks all the weight was in the rear...
Old 12-21-2007, 05:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Do you have any drag brake set on it? It goes on the same basic theory as tapping the brakes in mid air. Causing nose dives. The only reason I'm pointing this out is because my friend had the same issue long ago with his 4wd. Check to make sure it "free" wheels best as possible. Then start moving the CG as far back as possible as stated. Ofcourse you can never have it "SETUP" perfect for every jump known to man. 4wd wheelers take a fair amount of skill to control in mid air w/the throttle. I suggest practice how your launching off the jumps in the first place also. GL
Old 12-21-2007, 05:51 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the advise guys.

I took it to the track Wednesday night and was getting the hang of it better. I let a friend of mine drive it, and he was getting it to jump fairly well, so its just my lack of experience for the most part i think.

In regards to the drag brake setup. I run a Novak GTS speed control, i dont think it has any adjustments for that kind of thing.

I found that the buggy jumped best if i stayed into the throttle the same amount, or slightly let off once i was in the air.

I purchased a 2wd buggy, and hopefully it will arrive today. I think im gona race it untill i can get this 4wd thing down. I didn't realize how fast these things where, and how fast they could accelerate due to having 4 tires pulling rather than just 2.