Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MORE TURNS=MORE SPEED

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ahhh of course thats where the extra torque is coming from. run them on a regulated psu at however many amps and the higher the turns the more torque.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by joe of loath
ahhh of course thats where the extra torque is coming from. run them on a regulated psu at however many amps and the higher the turns the more torque.
? Less power means less torque.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Less copper length in the arm web, less resistance more current more power and torque because of armature excitation and field pole strength.

The phatter the wire that you can stick around a arm web will ultimatly have more torque because the resistance drops even more, RPM may suffer some as the rotational mass is more on phat wire.

Other factors do apply not just wind or how many turns, placement of wire on the core, wire gauge, use of number 1 or 2 copper, armature size and plate thickness and amount of steel heavy or light, magnet strength, and balance. Endbell timing.

I have a hot 12X1 that I wound by hand using Aqua bond and is my feature spinner.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Juglenaut
Less copper length in the arm web, less resistance more current more power and torque because of armature excitation and field pole strength.

The phatter the wire that you can stick around a arm web will ultimatly have more torque because the resistance drops even more, RPM may suffer some as the rotational mass is more on phat wire.

Other factors do apply not just wind or how many turns, placement of wire on the core, wire gauge, use of number 1 or 2 copper, armature size and plate thickness and amount of steel heavy or light, magnet strength, and balance. Endbell timing.

I have a hot 12X1 that I wound by hand using Aqua bond and is my feature spinner.
All this is true, but I think as a general rule less winds increases power. It was posted that a stocker will have more torque than a mod motor or one with less winds, so I tried to get the info as simple as possible without getting too technical, but yeah even brush compounds, springs, shape of brush, angle of brush, how its wound (Hemi, etc.), shape of armature (how the stack is done), will have an affect on RPM and Torque, but in general more power with less wires (if everything else is equal) equals more torque. Just check the header on the thread, misleading already and since this is a rookie area, I tried to keep as simple as possible. BTW, how bout trying to wrap a 14 1/2 gauge wire 7 turn to work in a checkpoint can; if you can do it, you'll be reaching what many have failed at.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

If I could get a checkpoint blank arm I will try.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

RC Crawlers use 55t lathe motors for extreme torgue and low RPMs, just thought I would mention.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

If you could provide a place to get a specific blank or I could just get a money spec and strip it.

I can't find 14.5, I can find 14 high temp.

Last edited by Juglenaut; 10-31-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Juglenaut
If you could provide a place to get a specific blank or I could just get a money spec and strip it.

I can't find 14.5, I can find 14 high temp.
It doesn't have to be a checkpoint arm, in fact I think Checkpoint uses the standard arm with small comm that is in most mod motors other than big comm Reedy stuff. Guys like Chris Tosolini have always wanted to try a big gauge 7t, but it hasn't been possible to fit it around the arm. Derek Furatani has tried in the past (considered by many pros to be the best at wrapping mod arms) but not sure why he was having issues. Many of the top pros don't like the feel and inefficiency of a 6t, so trying to get a big gauge 7t has been elusive.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Tech Rookie

If we're talking strictly about 1/10 scale, there are only 4 sizes of motors worth mentioning: 380, 540, 550, and 750. The VAST majority use 540-sized motors, which is 54 mm in length. The Tamiya Grasshopper comes with a 380-sized motor stock, but can be upgraded to a 540-sized motor. Some Traxxas vehicles come with the 550-sized motor, and the Tamiya 3-speed trucks featured a 750-sized motor.

Lower turn motors = more RPMs, but in general, less torque than higher wind motors. Since off-road vehicles need more torque than on-road vehicles, motor manufacturers incorporate a larger commutator in off-road motors to make up that torque.

Also factor in the wind of the motor. A 12x1, or 12 turn single, has one wire wrapped 12 times around each motor pole. A 12x3, or 12 turn triple, will have 3 strands of wire wrapped around each motor pole. A low wind motor achieves max power at lower rpms. That's good if you need fast acceleration on a small track. A higher wind motor hits max power at high rpms. You'll want this for larger tracks.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)

so which would be faster 12x1 or 12x3?
Old 11-15-2007, 03:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jatoman1992
so which would be faster 12x1 or 12x3?
not much difference, but the 12x1 will be 'snappier' and have better throttle response.