R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 10-20-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Diff tension/setup

I haveing been racing for a couple of months now and loving it, we run on polished wood where there is low grip but I am coming to terms with it, however last week my car was really tail happy and would snap into over steer. All settings remain the same I wonder whether my diff on my Mi3 has backed off/loosened up? It feels very free running and smooth but not sure if its right. Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to setting the tightness of a diff and how to check its ok??

Ollie
qcamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Tech Regular

the diffs should be nice and smooth. also u can dd more rear tow to your car to stop it form snaping out like that. also play with your rear springs and oil waights.
amain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:08 AM   #3
Tech Champion

check both front and rear diff's just by turning the wheel and seeing how much resistance there is. If they both feel like they have the same resistance you should be ok.

some guys will tune their car with looser/tighter differentials but it can be difficult to master if youre not familiar with it, so just go for front and rear being the same for now

If anything run, the diff a little loose than a little too tight, as you can then try it for a lap, if it sounds like the motor is revving but not getting to speed properly bring it in, tighten and repeat until your happy

If you run the diff too tight from the start you can easily damage the thrust plates and balls

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
Tech Elite

A trick Chris Tosolini taught me years ago. Grab the right rear tire and spur gear simultaneously, with your left hand rotate the left rear wheel. It should be tight but have a slight rotation. If the left wheel rotates freely, tighten it, if it doesn't move at all, loosen it. Make sure the diff is very smooth and has no gritty feel or notches of any sort. If it does you will need a rebuild. The tension should always be like this, the front diff is a different story, it should be slightly tighter as a rule of thumb since you are trying to get the car easier to drive, so less diff action up front will make the wheels spin a little tight closer to the action of a spool and lose less power through the diff action.