Search

NEW ENGINE REFUSING TO START

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default NEW ENGINE REFUSING TO START

Hi,
I'm not a noob, and I've always managed to solve problems before, and have used this forum for help many times. I've got a brand new buggy with a Kyosho .28 engine in. I've tried for ages to get it started, using factory settings, changed settings, changed glow plugs a few times, even changed fuel and the engine just shows no signs of wanting to start, not even close. Anyone any ideas ? It is driving me to despair and is really no fun. I bought the buggy to try to introduce my kids to RC and at this rate it is never going to happen.

I drive on road and have had no problems with my on road car. My old on road cars have given me no problems either, it's just this buggy will not start.

Any help is appreciated
Old 10-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

check the cylinder is not flooded. take the glow plug out and pull the starter (or whizz it a few times on the starter box, whatever you have) and put the glow plug back in.
if it still refuses to start send it back to kyosho and they will probably send you a new one back.
i have heard kyosho engines aren't great, so if you want to, visit want to buy forum and post that you want an engine (somewhere between .21 and .28) that runs ok. there will probably be some deals from racers who use an engine till the performance drops. the engine will be totally usable, just not competitive enough to race.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 32819toon
Hi,
I'm not a noob, and I've always managed to solve problems before, and have used this forum for help many times. I've got a brand new buggy with a Kyosho .28 engine in. I've tried for ages to get it started, using factory settings, changed settings, changed glow plugs a few times, even changed fuel and the engine just shows no signs of wanting to start, not even close. Anyone any ideas ? It is driving me to despair and is really no fun. I bought the buggy to try to introduce my kids to RC and at this rate it is never going to happen.

I drive on road and have had no problems with my on road car. My old on road cars have given me no problems either, it's just this buggy will not start.

Any help is appreciated
So will the pull start pull out like wene trying to start it or will it not pull?
If it does pull out what kinda nosie does it make?
Did you prime it????

Old 10-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the reply joe, I've tried all of that, that's why I'm so frustrated.

xsxracing - thanks for your help also. I've primed the engine, and the pullstart is normal.

I've also tried putting a couple of drops of fuel directly into the carb, but that hasn't worked either.

Any more suggestions anyone ???
Old 10-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

all i can say is send it back. there's probably a maufacturing problem. i was a bit frustrated when my firestorm took a while to start first time. but compared to the amount of times you've tried mine took no time.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had the same trouble with my RB engine - which yer supposedly meant to be able to just start right form the box for run in.

i assume you're not having difficulty in turning it over?

What i had to do was lean it a whole crap-ton away from run-in settings, loosen the plug, -and- give it a good bit of throttle to get it going. once it started, quickly tightened the plug, and richened it with a bit of open throttle set on the controller to keep it going. after that, it got a lot easier to start a good bit richer each time for run-in.

I only skimmed over the posts, but a stupid mistake i always make is not checking the idle setting by taking off the the filter, and peering into the carbie, to see how much gap there is between the slider and the mouth of the carb (about 1mm, i think) ... try raising the idle too, i guess!
Old 10-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Bud
Tech Master

Have you taken the motor apart to make sure it's put together right? The reason I say this is that a friend bought a rtr hydroplane early this summer and had the same symptoms you describe. I finally pulled the motor out and tore it down. The sleeve was in about 180 degrees backwards. The pin that was supposed to locate it in the right place was bent out of the way and the sleeve put in backwards. We straightened the pin and put the sleeve in right. Ran like a top. I'd never seen that before and I've been playing with these things a long time. Anyway, it's something to think about and maybe check.
good luck
Old 10-02-2007, 03:34 AM
Tech Addict

Weasely, Bud, thanks for your help. I've spoken to the distributor and they're going to have a look at it. I think it may have something wrong with it like you say.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks guys,

32819toon