newbie ?s

Old 09-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default newbie ?s

So here's the deal, it's been about 10 years since I've messed with rc cars and I really want to get into on road electric racing. I'm looking at a TC4 factory team but I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to use the radio that I need... some sort of 2 stick (quadriplegic, very little finger use).
Also, any suggestions as far as motors and ESC combos would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-30-2007, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbinny
So here's the deal, it's been about 10 years since I've messed with rc cars and I really want to get into on road electric racing. I'm looking at a TC4 factory team but I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to use the radio that I need... some sort of 2 stick (quadriplegic, very little finger use).
Also, any suggestions as far as motors and ESC combos would be greatly appreciated
I don't know anything about electric cars i still learning my gas car and am still lost
Old 09-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Difficult to say on radio for your situation. On the motor and ESC side I would recommend like a brushless setup. What is ur budget, cause RC is very $$$ to run.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbinny
You can still get 2channel sticks, a few guys at my club use sticks.

What class will u race? Stock or Mod? That will determine your EC and motor
Old 10-01-2007, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XXXCRRacer
Difficult to say on radio for your situation. On the motor and ESC side I would recommend like a brushless setup. What is ur budget, cause RC is very $$$ to run.
ya i agree with you too matt.if you run brushless use novak.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

i really don't want to drop a ton into it, but money isn't a huge issue.
not sure on which class... what's the difference, just the motors? like i said, i'm kind of a newbie, esp. to racing
Old 10-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

the motor and car type is usually the only difference between classes, athough sometimes they are seperated into sub classes IE foam/rubber tyres.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

for the cost of a ae car you should just go with the tc5...i dont like ae cars but my friend has a tc5 and i drove it....way better than his ft tc4 that he had.

as for radios and speedo goes..you can score really good deals on here in the for sale forum...

alot of people are going brushless...i was thinking of going to it myself.

a bit much money to spend though...

as for motors.........any based co27 stock motor.

need any other info pm me i can hook you up with a good deal..

matt
Old 10-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I would say start with the stock class. Get acclimated with the car and how it handles. Once you get a little more experience under your belt then you can move into the modified class. Dont go all out and spend a ton of money, but dont cheap out either. A little more cash now could save you alot more in the long run. Especially in the form of electronics. Make sure to get a decent radio and speed control and you should be fine.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

i figured the tc4 would probably be the best way for me to go since the local shop has a huge selection of parts on hand and the guys here who race run those or tc3s.
i really don't wanna get something lower end and have to rely on my buddies to swap stuff out when something breaks or i decide to upgrade [very little finger use, but i CAN drve]. plus, i'm not too thrilled about something w/ a belt.
tc4 rtr or factory team? any others i should consider?
Old 10-02-2007, 05:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Are you buying a new kit or something that is used? If you are buying new then you would have to find someone to build the factory team for you since it is only available in kit version. This kit is nice though since it has most all of the upgrades for the car already included in the kit like graphite parts, titanium trunbuckles and hingepins, aluminum screws and a bunch of other stuff. If you are buying a used car then this is definitely the way to go. That way down the road you wont have to find someone to put the upgrades on that you want because more than likely your car already has them. The rtr is a starter level car and is just like the factory team but it doesnt have all the upgrades and this one comes with everything you need to get started. A radio (which you cant use since its a pistol grip), esc and motor. You will most likely end up getting rid of all these electronics in the near future anyway i would suggest to go ahead find someone to build you a factory team car, get the electronics you want. That means a radio that you feel comfortable using, a good esc that can handle low turns because eventually you will want to go faster, and a stock motor or 19 turn motor to start out with. You might also want a esc that has reverse with a reverse lockout so you can use it for racing as well. Sorry for the long post hope something in it helps out.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:59 AM
Tech Champion

it may be hard finding a new tc4 factory team kit now as the tc5 is gaining popularity, but building it can take some jiggery pokery if the tc3 I had was anything to go by.

The parts mouldings can be a little off so things bind up without filing, so if you do get the tc4, just be wary that you might need to spend time getting everything working well.

They are a very capable car though in the right hands, so dont let the build put you off
Old 10-02-2007, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you are starting without a car. I would buy a tc5. I just got on about 2 months ago. It is a great car, easy to build, fast and strong. if you are going to race don't waste your money buying a tc4, some thing that is out dated and if you want to sell it no one wants it.

good luck with the racing!!