Community
Wiki Posts
Search

overheat problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Default overheat problem

hopefully someone can help me out here. i have a new team tc4 and i keep thermaling out. my speed control overheats and shuts down after aprox 5-7 min of running. i have no binding issues and my gear mesh is fine. i am running a 19turn t-bang motor with a f2000 speed control. i am also running a 72t spur and have tried 25-28t pinions. there is only a slight difference in run times with the different pinions. the car's manual recommends a 30t pinion with 72t spur on a 19turn motor. it barely handles 5 min of the 28t pinion. the speed control recommends not going below a 13t turn. how can i tell if the motor is too much for the speed control or what might my problem be?
Old 09-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Not sure what the problem would be, but a 19 turn motor should be good? How old is the ESC? Possibly been abused in a former setup? Are you using good batteries and good battery connectors?
Old 09-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

First off that ESC is not the problem it can handle down to 13Turn

Your rollout with a 25tooth and rubber tires is about 28mm and with 30tooth about 33mm... Both are extremly high for bashing till your packs dump.

would be gearing for something a little more concervative like a 25-27mm rollout wich you should get running 22-24tooth range.

IT all depends on your application but if your out in the streets just hammering it for 10minutes dont expect the motro or eSC to stay kool running high rollouts.. Like your running now.

We run on carpet with foam tires and will hit rollouts in that range but we are talking 5 minute races with light foam tires and race quality gear.

Drop the pinion down to 22 and work your way up from there.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What ESC are you running. Once it thermals generally it will keep doing it.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

he is running an airtronics f2000 and its good to 13t motors, i think his problem is heavy finger and overgearing
Old 09-07-2007, 01:26 AM
Tech Regular

thx for the info joel. i think you may be right. i do have a heavy finger and i am trying to gear it as high as possible, as i want to race it. could you please explain the term roll out. i think i know what you mean, but i want to be sure.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 AM
Tech Elite

The highest gearing you can go is not always the fastest way around the track, wether your racing or not there is limitations to how high you gear. Locally i have seen many new guys run slowly with equal gear only to find out they are about 2-3teeth to large on the pinion gear, if you over gear the motor it will struggle off the line and at top speed. Typically for any given track there is a starting point for rollout depending on the layout. For out door bashing u still need to use caution as your less likely to stop every 5minutes you more or less run till u dump, wich could be 10minutes if your over geared and using a heavy finger youll burn up motors and esc. Even no limit ESCs have limits

for charts go to www.gearchart.com

Rollout takes into account your spur/pinion internal gear ratios and tire diameter to give you a rollout ratio that is universally comparable to other cars. Regardless of car or equipment when you ask a race buddy what his rollout is you can easily compare it to your Brand XYZ car to his BRAND ABC.

GREAT WRITE UP ON GEARING AND ROLLOUT HERE:
http://forum.teamxray.com/viewtopic....9080d00b4bcc59
Old 09-07-2007, 07:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Mainly sounds like a gearing issue. Also try running a fan on the ESC. This will help with lower temps.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

Which T-Bang 19T are you running? Silver Can (Type C) or Blue Can (Type K)?

T
Old 09-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

thx guys. i'll take a look at that chart. i'm pretty new at r/c stuff and this is my first on road car. i really appreciate your help.

hi BigDaddyT. i'm running your hemi X19K. any suggestions would be great.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

perhaps i am using the wrong tbang motor for the Kamloops track