Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Any suggestions? >

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

Old 05-09-2003, 04:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Any suggestions?

Hey everyone! This is my first post here and these forums look pretty cool!

But, I have a problem.

You see, last August, my brother went off to college. And before he left, he showed me how to drive his XXX Graphite buggy and how everything works b/c he wanted me to drive it while he was gone.

Since then, I've really gotten into rc cars and think they're a blast! The buggy's top speed was around 30 mph and I mostly drove it on some jumps I made in my backyard. The only problem is he's coming back in a couple of weeks and says that I won't need to drive it anymore so I have to buy my own car.

Since I'm only 14 though, I can't get a real job but I do manage to do odd ball chores which have added up to about $200. So I want to buy something that costs about $150 and I want it to be on-road and VERY DURABLE and mostly maintenance free.

The two cars I have come up with are the Kyosho Mini-Z and the Duratrax Delphi Indy Car RTR. Have any of you driven either of these and what is your opinion on them?

I think I might get bored with the Mini-Z b/c of its low top speed but I'm not sure if the Delphi Indy Car goes so fast that things will start to break.

Oh, one last thing. I don't really plan on racing them so durability and fun factor are the most important thing to me.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help!
Old 05-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Oh ya, how do you think the Delphi Indy Car would perform if I put in a Traxxas 20-turn stinger motor? Would it be compatible with the Delphi's esc?
Old 05-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

the stinger (540 motor) will work with any esc. I would not recomend getting a mini-z because you can't even buy new motors.

If you want good durability than make sure you conget a foam bumper for it. the indy won't crash as long as you drive carefuly. get a reverse esc with brakes and whenever your about to crash just brake.

The stinger motor will make the indy go probably 30mph with a 3000mah batt
Old 05-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Tech Rookie

The Indy RTR comes with a reversing esc but I'm not sure if it has breaks or not.

Is it even possible to install a foam bumper on the Indy?
Old 05-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

To tell you the truth, I would suggest soething else. That car is two wheel-drive, with horrible tires.

Two wheel-drive+horrible tires= spinouts for everyone on the block.

Not that much fun when all you can do is turn without being able to go much forward.

There are other cars more exciting and racy than this IMO.

The Evader from Duratrax, is better then its stablemate the Indy. It is based on an aged, but still capable racer, the Losi XX-T. Then there is Traxxas' extensive line of cheap RTR's.

No Foam bumper for the Indy

The reverse kicks in after a little while of braking, probably around one-two seconds of brake time b4 reverse.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Ya, I know, but I want an on-road car. Very simple, no 4WD.

Couldn't I just fix that with new tires?
Old 05-10-2003, 03:41 AM
Tech Master

yep, that should be the first hop up. If you could get other F1 styled-cars' tires on it, that would be even better than anything Duratrax could offer, but I don't know enough about this car.

Why no 4wd? Just wondering, nothing much more...

Old 05-10-2003, 05:57 AM
Tech Regular

Tamiya makes alot of good "parking lot" cars that are designed for people who just think up a course on a parking lot and then race and some cars are even indy cars.

Im2lazy- I believe he doesn't want 4wd because it has a drive shaft, gear box, etc. plus a 4wd car will get less turning traction because of this rule for full sized race cars:

60% traction for turning, 40% traction for throttle and so on.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by C3pacer
The Indy RTR comes with a reversing esc but I'm not sure if it has breaks or not.

Is it even possible to install a foam bumper on the Indy?
it comes with the sprint right? I have a sprint and it does have brakes
Old 05-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

get a traxxas electric rustler.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:21 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Intermision
A traxxas rutler is not a on-road car.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Intermision
I have a rustler and I am happy with it except I think it should have stronger bellcrank steering but like rc king said, it is not a on-road car.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:12 AM
Tech Master

Its just that an onroad 4wd drive car is so much easier to drive. In a parking lot or tennis court or something less then a dedicated track, 2wd cars just spin the tires too much for it to come out of corners with more then a lightly feathered throttle application.

In my opinion, 2wd onroad cars should be saved for racing only. Outside of that venue or rc'ing, 2wd is a problem because of its performance.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by traxxasdude
60% traction for turning, 40% traction for throttle and so on.
Unfortunately such a numerical equation will not work. You also have to take into account the design of suspension and similar vehicle dynamics. Touring cars have independent suspension. Just about every 2wd car has a pan chassis with a flexible rear pod that supports a straight axle. On most surfaces encountered by Onroad r/c cars, including racing ones, this type of a configuration is a setback.

Traxxasdude, nothing to insult, but have you driven a 2wd onroad car and compared it to a touring car? If you haven't had the opportunity (as most people haven't had the chance either), I'll make a pretty good example that quite easily shows the performance advatage of 4wd in RC cars:

Ifmar onroad 1/10 fuel world champs. 1/10 2wd onroad and 1/10 Touring car ran simultaneously. Though the 2wd cars have big block .15's and the touring cars only had .12's (which is a huge difference as the track was wide open at 235x130 feet) the 2wd's had top speeds of 60mph on the straight and tourer's had top speeds of 55 and yet the touring cars had an average lap that was .5 seconds faster than the 2wd 1/10 onroad vehicles. This is 2wd drive cars with wider front/rear tires, and more powerful engines, longer wheelbase and track widths' and high downforce wedge bodies.
Even on this track on which many thought the main concern was HP, it was actually 4wd that made the most difference.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Micro RS4!!!

I say you go for the HPI Micro RS4!

It's way fun! and run times are great!

Check out these hopped up micros!

http://www.micrors4zone.com/gallery/g3/micrors4.htm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.