Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Im2lazy

Traxxasdude, nothing to insult, but have you driven a 2wd onroad car and compared it to a touring car? If you haven't had the opportunity (as most people haven't had the chance either), I'll make a pretty good example that quite easily shows the performance advatage of 4wd in RC cars:
I have a 2 wheel drive truck and when I drive it on the street then I can tell a difference.

he doesn't want a 4wd because (I think) if something gets stuck inside it you have to take apart the chassis, but on a simple f1 you don't have as much problems with matinance.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Yes, that's it exactly.

I want as little chance as possible of something breaking. With a 4WD car, the chances are almost doubled.

Plus, I'm not used to having that much traction on turns cause of my buggy so would it be that much different?
Old 05-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

a 2wd on-road car has faster sininp tires usually so they break free if you just flor it.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Well if you want something that is basically bomb proof and you can get RTR then look at the Tamiya XB line up. You have to go to great lengths to break a TL01 and for $200 RTR it's a good deal.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

Thats exactly what I have and I not such a fan of it, btw there is a week spot on the tl-01, the place where the grub screw goes in the pinion gear strips easily.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:37 PM
Tech Master

Like I said somewhere else, the motor heat is the only contributor to that problem. Keep a motor like a stock motor, or a 19 turn motor with relatively little advanced timing, and give it a break between packs and it should be fine. I've driven one off-road (rally), and it took the abuse.

oh yeah, there is a big difference between a two-wheel drive truck and two-wheel drive onroad car.

C3pacer,
quite frankly, most of the 2 wheel drive cars I have seen are quite brittle. The rear pod is only held in three spots by screws, and canbe shorn straight off if you clip the rear wheels on something. But Duratrax does have that stress-tech 6month parts guarantee.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If your worried about breaking,your looking at the wrong car,A arms are a problem with this car,very thin,looks scale but they are a problem,Have you looked at the Traxxas 4 Tec ? It does not fit your 2wd only but 4wd does not break any more than 2wd does and your really limiting your choices for an on road car,For "bashing" it's real hard to beat a traxxas,I have had one and for parking lot or street it was alot of fun,I never had any problems with the drive train..yes I did break a few parts here and their..curb's dont give.. ,I now have a few "racing" TCs that I dont use on the street(dont want to scrach up the chassis)I think the 4 Tech is a better car for what you want to do..but the Delphi is cool looking. BTW my LHS quit carring the Delphi, to many people were bringing them back..broken wanting them fixed for free or their money back.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:41 PM
Tech Rookie

I looked at the TL-01 cars from Tamiya and the Traxxas 4-Tec but they both have mechanical speed controllers.

Aren't they slower, less-efficient, and you have to replace them every 3 or 4 months???

Hey, but I did find this TT-01 car. It looks pretty good, fairly simple, but what is a combined reciever/electronic speed controller???

Have any of you had experience w/this car or know anything about its durability cause that is my #1 concern.

Thanks for all the ideas so far and I'm starting to become swayed from the Delphi.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

a mechanical speed control is great just for driving around, but yes you will nedd to replace it. When you replace it though you can just get an esc.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by C3pacer
I looked at the TL-01 cars from Tamiya and the Traxxas 4-Tec but they both have mechanical speed controllers.

Aren't they slower, less-efficient, and you have to replace them every 3 or 4 months???

Hey, but I did find this TT-01 car. It looks pretty good, fairly simple, but what is a combined reciever/electronic speed controller???

Have any of you had experience w/this car or know anything about its durability cause that is my #1 concern.

Thanks for all the ideas so far and I'm starting to become swayed from the Delphi.
that combined electronics package is relatively robust, so long as you stick with equiment similar to stock. To hot of a replacement motor and it'll be toast.

My vote is the 4tec. It is a complete package, and relatively fast for a rtr. As long as you keep the contacts clean on the msc, it should work quite well. If it gets too dirty, it is like having a bad plug, and things overheat and the msc will go poof. To clean it, just use a rubber eraser (onthe end of a pencil or similar equivilent). Should keep things going for a while. Plus it is real cheap for the entire package.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Tamiya and Traxxas both make good cars,Parts for the cars and cost of the parts is something you should also consider,Parts support is very good on the Traxxas and the cost is lower than what it is for the Tamiya.My pick would be the 4 Tech.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

My pick would be the TT-01 you listed above.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok, well how fast would this combination for the TT-01 go? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCRM8&P=0

What about the 4-Tec?
Old 05-13-2003, 03:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by C3pacer

mechanical speed controls are less eficient because every time you drive at a speed less than full than a transistor limits the electricity that goes through the wire and wastes energy in the form of heat. You won't have to replace it every 3-4 months but you should use switch lube on them every now and then.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

well after reading all the posts i must say his original post stated that he did not have much money and he was only 14 years old.

my advise is to start mowing lawns and goto ebay and search for a pan car. you can usually find one all set up for under $100
2wd easy to fix

myself i have 2 rs4 touring sedans that are 4x4
they are extremely easy to work on and fun to build as a kit
once you build a kit you know everything about the car
and that makes working on it easier.
i also have a duratrax evader that i set up for both on and off road. so i can have fun in the dirt and jumps and then switch the tires and goto a parking lot and race the on road guys (who hate getting beat by a truck ......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.