Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
1st timer: Electric on-road for the street? >

1st timer: Electric on-road for the street?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1st timer: Electric on-road for the street?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 1st timer: Electric on-road for the street?

Hi,

I would like to get started in RC cars. I would like to drive on my street (large cul-de-sac) and the parking lot at work.

I want electric and am not really interested in off-road. I work part time in professional open wheel racing and would like to play with caster, camber, toe, springs, shocks, etc.

Should I get an on-road car or an off-road truck with street tires?

I've been told that on-road cars have such a low ride height that even 1/4" bumps can be a problem.

Thanks,

-tom
Old 05-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tambrose
Hi,

I would like to get started in RC cars. I would like to drive on my street (large cul-de-sac) and the parking lot at work.

I want electric and am not really interested in off-road. I work part time in professional open wheel racing and would like to play with caster, camber, toe, springs, shocks, etc.

Should I get an on-road car or an off-road truck with street tires?

I've been told that on-road cars have such a low ride height that even 1/4" bumps can be a problem.

Thanks,

-tom
Depends on the surface. Most parking lots can handle onroad cars. All the adjustments can be done to most cars either on or offroad, but Onroad usually has the most. My suggestion, if it isn't too crazy bumpy keep the offroad for dirt.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Are there on road cars that generally have more ride height with adding a bunch of preload?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If your worried about clearance issues you could also look into a rally type rc car. I have run sedans that are mostly for carpet racing on road before and at work in the parking lot. I recently got a tc4 with dreams of carpet racing it but never did, so I raised the body pan all the way up. Now it stands with just about 1/2" of clearance, which is more than enough for the worst of payments. I put some aggresive road tires on it and run it on my gravel driveway and street now. Instant 1/10 4wd rally car! Just watch carefully what you get and make sure you can raise the hieght enough to your liking. If you want to play with the car as a test model to learn what adjustments do for your open wheel race car, don't get a cheap car. I'd say stick with losi or associated, there cars have all the real adjustments like real cars. Enough to keep me confused and fustrated for months.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSA0285

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=ASC30111

They may look low to the ground Tom but they can be raised ALOT more than they are shown here. Good luck, have fun and hope this info helps you in some way . And yet another RC addict is born
Old 05-15-2007, 05:46 AM
Tech Regular

the Losi XXX-S great for you..
Old 05-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd say get a Tamiya TB01 or a TT01. Both those cars have sealed drivetrains so you don't have to worry about rocks. Simple to run and fix also.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Initiate

I've heard that Tamiya parts are somewhat hard to get right now. My LHS said this has been the case for a little while. I guess Tamiya is moving to a new location.

Originally Posted by minijosh
I'd say get a Tamiya TB01 or a TT01. Both those cars have sealed drivetrains so you don't have to worry about rocks. Simple to run and fix also.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Tech Addict

Yea I had to tape up the bottom to keep debris from getting in the motor and other places. I'm planning to use a piece of lexan on the bottom to eventually seal off the bottom perfectly.

Ya tamiya's are good cars no doubt but part support allways seems to stink at most LHS. I'd suggest going with a car that your LHS carries parts for, which will prolly be a losi or associated
Old 05-16-2007, 02:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

problem with getting a tt-01 is its lack of adjustabilty (without upgrades of course).

unless you plan to eventually race onroad i would go for a rally or offroad type car.

just my 2 cents
Old 05-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Tech Initiate

What's a good Rally car? I don't recall seeing any.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Tech Initiate

It looks like there was one from HPI and one from Associated, but both appear to be discontinued.

Is that correct?
Old 05-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, that's correct. Associated does have the 18R rally car, but it's 18th scale and it defeats the purpose.

What is available still is the TC3 rally conversion kit, it's at Tower Hobbies. Knowing that the TC3 is no longer available, but, parts are everywhere still. Just buy a used TC3 from the "For Sale" section or eBay, which should be very cheap, maybe $80 for a roller in really good shape, and buy the conversion kit. Done!

Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Tech Addict

There you go excellent advise from killing time . Even thou the tc3 is a little older it has part support bigtime. Alot of guys still run them in sedan classes. You could prolly find somebody selling one off with tons of goodies for dirt cheap too on e-bay.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I bought my first on-road and choose the Losi XXX-S. My club races on parking lots, so we deal with dirty surfaces. Plus I like to bash around, so you want to avoid open drive trains due to grime and dirt.

There is plenty of adjustments you can make, and with add on parts, you can really tweak this thing out. Ride height is not a problem, you can raise it up a bit with shock settings.

You have tons of support with Losi and aftermarket parts. And the Losi comes with a pretty nice radio for a RTR.

HTML Code:
http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSA0285
I am very happy with it. It will work well on concrete and asphalt surfaces, mine does. And just google xxx-s rally conversion. Plenty of links to show you how.