Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Best charger for NiMH batteries >

Best charger for NiMH batteries

Best charger for NiMH batteries

Old 04-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Best charger for NiMH batteries

I just bought a car used and it came with NiMH batteries and a "DuraTrax Piranha AC/DC Peak Power Charger". After reading online that you shouldn't use that charger with NiMH batteries, I'm in the market for a new charger. Any suggestions? I'd like for it to be able to do two at once, if possible. Other than that, no requirements, although the more automatic the better, if it doesn't add too much to the cost.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Tech Regular

try checking out the MRC super brain 977, that charger can charge 2 batteries at the same time and it already comes with a power supply. price aint so bad as well
Old 04-11-2007, 06:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Looks nice... but a little expensive for me

That looks like a great charger, but I'm just a casual weekend driver and this may be overkill (at least for my budget).

Is it worth it? Is there another dual-charger more budget-suited for my needs?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

If you go to tower hobbies and type in duratrax chargers you will find some good chargers they sell a charger for 100$ that is really good but if thats to much you can go with the 75$ charger.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Tech Adept

Arrkerr,

I asked the same question at my LHS and they didn't like the Superbrain there, but highly recommended the Twin Peak: it will do 2 packs, any combination of 4-5 cell or 6-7 cells, nicad or nimh, at once. cost $70. ac/dc and just plug n play, no menus. I just wanted something good / automatic to charge stick packs w/o costing a fortune or ruining batteries. Charges at 1 or 4 amps depending on what the machine decides is best for your pack(s).

Just bought mine today, so can't really give you an opinion [plus I really don't know much about the subject] but this is what I bought based on the advice of some guys who haven't steered me wrong yet. They have been pretty straight up when I asked for recommendations for general bashing and noobie advice.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

we had two of them for a few years when we started racing. They work just fine, especially for bashing.

I used two of them in combination with a 20amp discharge light tree that I made myself.

The only reason I got out of them was so I could charge at higher amp ratings for racing.