Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HEY, IM NEW TO THIS AND HAVE SOME QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Default HEY, IM NEW TO THIS AND HAVE SOME QUESTIONS

HELLO EVERYONE IM KINDA NEW TO THE R/C THING AND I REALLY WANNA GET INTO IT. I BOUGHT AN ELECTRONIC TRAXXAS RUSTLER ABOUT 2 YEARS AGAO AND THEN SCREWED UP THE SPUR GEAR AND LET IT SIT FOR A WHILE, I JUST STARTED TO USE IT AGAIN AND I REALLY WANNA MESS WITH IT. I WAS WONDERING IF YOU GUYS COULD HELP ME OUT, I WANNA MAKE IT FASTER IT HAS A 20 TURN MOTOR AND I'VE BEEN TOLD THE LESS THE TURNS THE QUICKER IT IS, I ALSO SEEN THAT THE RUSTLER NOW COMES WITH A 12 TURN MOTOR, I WOULD LIKE TO GET SOMETHING LIKE THAT. WELL I WANNA STAY AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE BEING THAT I CAN'T DUMP MORE MONEY INTO THIS THEN MY REAL CAR SO I WAS WONDERING IF THERE WAS ANY GOOD OPTIONS OUT THERE. AND ALSO IM REALLY CONFUSED ON BATTERIES AND THEIR CHARGERS, COULD YOU GUYS POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION TO A GOOD QUICK CHARGER AND SOME LONG LASTING BATTERIES. THE BATTERIES I HAVE NOW LAST NOT EVEN 5 MINUTES AND I DON'T KNOW HOW THE HELL TO CHARGE THEM ON MY CHARGER SO PLEASE IF ANYONE COULD HELP ME OUT IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 03-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ok first of all, it makes it easier to read if you type usng proper cases, not all capitals.
if you want a 12 turn motor no probs they arn't too expensive, algthough you may need a new esc (electronic speed controller). there are a bit more expensive. i don't know about thems coz i dont have any cars that use them. and for cheap batteries, get some 3000mah ni-mh packs from tower hobbies or something like that. ne carefull not to buy receiver packs as these will not run the car. what you are looking for are sub-c cells. as for charger, i have no idea...
Old 03-31-2007, 04:39 AM
DKB
Tech Adept

Thumbs up GOOGLE IT

Hey mate I am new as well I found most of the info I needed from sites I found googling.

check out some of the other threads and you'll get some cool websites with lots of info you may even find a thread that talks about your particular r/c I was luck enough to find one some of the crew really know thier stuff.

Any how mate good luck
Old 03-31-2007, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i'd start with batteries cuz it could be the cheapest way to go. reason i say this is becuase if you bought a 12 turn motor you'll probably burn up you stock esc with it. so with that being said, if you buy a 12 turn motor you better buy a new esc (good one for $80 or so).

look at some 3300-3600 mah ni-mh sport packs. you can usually find them somewhat cheap on some websites. for chargers, all i know is some good ones that need a power supply. There are good ones out there that all you do is plug them into the wall and start charging but im not sure of any.

it's really your choice. start with either the motor and esc or battery and charger.

good luck to ya!
Old 03-31-2007, 07:31 PM
Tech Initiate

make sure you read the manual thoroughly. it's one of the best and most official pieces of reference material that's already at your fingertips
Old 04-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Or you could gear it up. I'm not sure if the rustler will except larger pinons. Just a though. you will have a slower off the line but once you get going it should be faster. Just curious are you still useing the org. motor. Have you changed the brushed. and cut the com. if you can't cut the com, Check with you LHS they might be able to to it for a fee.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Tech Initiate

a good charger is a super brain 989. i have one, its great for quick charge. don't let the programing options trip u up w/ it. all you have to do on the 989 is hit up and start charge. works for 1-8 cell ni-cd or nimh batteries. as for a batery, not much of an electric guy, buth the higher the milli amp rating the longer you will have power, sugest a nimh.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Yes the less turns the motor has the faster it will be. But be careful, if you go to low it might not have enough torque. Also a better battery pack would increase power output and run times. But learn to drive well before you go so fast you cant control it. Fast is fun, but only if you can keep things going where you want them to.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

got for a 14x2 aka 14 double and some 3300 + nimh packs,the motor has heaps of torq and heaps of top endfor a buggy or w/e it is

jump on www.cheapbatterypacks.com for batteries and chargers....

get an all in one charger if u can.....better in te long run
Old 04-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Tech Rookie

look if your trying to buy cheap get your stuff from online shops not from your local hobby shop its a lot cheaper.

www.frontlinehobbies.com.au
www.rcboys.com
www.towerhobbies.com