Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Nitro or Electric >

Nitro or Electric

Nitro or Electric

Old 03-10-2007, 06:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Nitro or Electric

Hey guys, I posted on track locator a couple days ago (for Colorado), found a few offroad tracks around Denver, Burlington and some in Wyoming (All outdoors). I wanted to see if its better to go with nitro instead of electric, since the tracks are outdoors. I used to mess around with an electric 1/10 truck but never really enjoyed it because of the battery/motor. I've done some research about the nitro; time consuming, harder to maintain, etc. So from that I'm a bit hesitant to jump right into nitro after years away from the R/C world. Any feedback on what to do, I know there isnt a 100% answer for me and its soley up to me on what I want to race, I'd just like to hear from you guys.

Also, I'm looking at any option for electric or nitro, not limiting myself to just one brand.

Aaron
Old 03-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

well if you like to tinker alot and dont minde spinding the time cleaning and maitaing thin go with nitro but if you dont have all the time to do this go with electric
Old 03-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It's up to you. I prefer electric cause I can't deal with the smell of Nitro.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Cmon Shawn you know gas rules.
Although Lipo and brushless may change electric altogether, plenty of power good run times and much cheaper.

Just something about a race going on and you cant hear any racin
Old 03-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrohead1
Cmon Shawn you know gas rules.
Although Lipo and brushless may change electric altogether, plenty of power good run times and much cheaper.

Just something about a race going on and you cant hear any racin

dont get me wrong i love gas cars in fact the 1st good(not radioshak)r/c car i had was a 1:10 on-road nitro and i plane to get a nitro mt sometime soon. but racing wize i like my electric xxx-t

O nitrohead1 by the way mini-t's and li-po i have seen thim blow the tire's off of nitro car's and truck's lol
Old 03-12-2007, 01:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

i like EP, plug and play but can cost a little more to get started.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

IMO, electric is easier to maintain than nitro. An electric motor that has not been properly broken-in will still run. In fact, most beginner/intermediate level racers would not notice any differences. A nitro engine that has not been properly broken-in will be a headache because it will not run. Cleanup is an issue also. Dirt and oil don't mix all too well and it can make for a tedious task. But the power and speed that nitro put out are incredible. Electric vehicles can match the speed and power but it cost a lot of money to get there. Maybe you should check out the race track and see what the flavor of the moment is.

Good luck
Loren
Old 03-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info guys, I think I'm going to Rat Raceway in Denver to check out the nitros. The dirt sticking to everything isnt an issue (used to race motocross, all that stuff I'm used to). Either way it sounds like I can't go wrong - both are fun to drive/race. I think I'll be going Team Associated T4 or GT2..now I just need to read up on controllers and whatever else doesnt come in that nice little box.

Aaron
Old 03-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

I still like nitro just not for cars.......
Old 03-13-2007, 03:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

electric has a subtlety that can only be used for on road. nitro enignes are just too bruteish to run on road, but off road doesn't need subtlety.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Brushless li-po any of this ring a bell lol
Old 03-17-2007, 04:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

First off Aaron, its up to you what you want. Electrics and gas both have there ups-n-downs. Both can be used on or offroad, depending on what type of rc you get ofcourse. I myself am addicted to both nitro and electric. On one hand I love the power and simplicity of running electrics, the newer brushless set-ups are awsome. On the other hand there's the Raw violent power of a nitro 2stoke that can't be beat,the sound,the smell...gotta love it. Something about hearing a mess of nitros running around gets a chill in me still to this day. Now if you used be a moto-x guy you'll fall in love with a nitro! I promise... Give Traxxas RTR kits a looky see, all come with everything needed except batterys and fuel. The easy start system(I call it the butter start system) also helps out alot when your first getting into nitro. The 3.3 Revo,T-maxx,Jato and 4-tec are awsome machines outta the box.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Well I've been messin around with my old (10 years ago) Traxxas Rustler (electric). Still on the fence about charging batteries/cool down. Now all I need is a nitro to give that a test run and then I'll know exactly what I want . But then again it may be the fact that I have a 10 year old setup, times have changed in the RC world it seems like. Best answer is to just buy both but thatd piss off the girlfriend haha.

For now I'm still leaning towards nitro, electric is still an option for me. No point in limiting myself just yet.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:02 AM
Tech Addict

for me, NITRO all the way!!! i like to tinker and love the sound of high revving engine... and electric always gets me to this investment issue:

"you need to have more batt sets in electric to have more run time, - nowadays you will always doubt your car's performance if your not using Li-Po. and when you multiply the # of battery sets you need to have to the price of Li-Po, whew!!! and you will probably need a pricey charger/discharger to fully make use of your batts."

that's me. maybe somebody here can convince me otherwise...
Old 03-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RevMaxx
for me, NITRO all the way!!! i like to tinker and love the sound of high revving engine... and electric always gets me to this investment issue:

"you need to have more batt sets in electric to have more run time, - nowadays you will always doubt your car's performance if your not using Li-Po. and when you multiply the # of battery sets you need to have to the price of Li-Po, whew!!! and you will probably need a pricey charger/discharger to fully make use of your batts."

that's me. maybe somebody here can convince me otherwise...

At that rate you can buy tons of nitro!!!! For the price of one lipo battery!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.