Wiki Posts
Search

interchangable heads and carbs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
interchangable heads and carbs?

I am new to nitro's obviously if i am asking this but oh well i wont know until I ask. I have a Team Assostiated monster GT running a 2.5, Traxxas Jato running a JBConcepts v.12, I have a spare Traxxas 2.5 from my Jato and then a Sirio engine. I started wondering if the heads and carbs were at all interchangable. I started thinking that if they are maybe some ponies were available. This question also goes for carbs. Can you swap carbs on most engines to gain power and such?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Short answer, no and yes.

Heads usually don't get interchanged. Aftermarket heads that are available are designed for better cooling, but nearly all engines do well stock. More often than not, an aftermarket head that overcools the engine will only promote inexperienced engine tuners to lean the engine too much and shorten its life.

Carbs on the other hand are interchangable. For .12 size engines there are two dominant sizes for the outside diameter that inserts into the crankcase (I'll just call it large and small). Engines like your Sirio and RB will be a large size, I don't know what Traxxas uses. Most often racers will use an O.S. carb (often a 10E) on engines like an RB to smooth out the power and give a wider tuning range. The 10E is what I would call the "small" size and requires an adaptor to fit.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gubbs3
Short answer, no and yes.

Heads usually don't get interchanged. Aftermarket heads that are available are designed for better cooling, but nearly all engines do well stock. More often than not, an aftermarket head that overcools the engine will only promote inexperienced engine tuners to lean the engine too much and shorten its life.

Carbs on the other hand are interchangable. For .12 size engines there are two dominant sizes for the outside diameter that inserts into the crankcase (I'll just call it large and small). Engines like your Sirio and RB will be a large size, I don't know what Traxxas uses. Most often racers will use an O.S. carb (often a 10E) on engines like an RB to smooth out the power and give a wider tuning range. The 10E is what I would call the "small" size and requires an adaptor to fit.
thanks very much for your reply.