Rookie Looking to Buy First RC Car!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rookie Looking to Buy First RC Car!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Rookie Looking to Buy First RC Car!

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the RC world and I am looking to be a good starting RC car. Something along the lines of HPI RTR. Money really isnt an issue, but I dont want to go too too crazy on my first car. Maybe something around $300-$400 at most. I'm unsure if I want to go Nitro or Electric. What are the pros and cons? Are most of the popular street cars 1:10? How do I know what bodies are interchangable with what model? Thanks for the help!
Old 01-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Tech Adept

For your electric vs. nitro question check this out: http://www.mattsrcstuff.com/nitroelectric.htm

Most street cars are 1/10, yes. But there is also the option of offroad (buggy, truggy, stadium truck, or truck)

You don't necesarly need RTR... building the car is half the fun.

Normally I would just go with the body that is meant for the car but you can try other things and see if the fit (or make them fit)
Old 01-23-2007, 02:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Depends what you want to do with it. I've started with $500 to start and in a few short months has increased to around $1500. Once you figure that out it's just a case of picking up something suited.... good luck
Old 01-23-2007, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by donm3ga
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the RC world and I am looking to be a good starting RC car. Something along the lines of HPI RTR. Money really isnt an issue, but I dont want to go too too crazy on my first car. Maybe something around $300-$400 at most. I'm unsure if I want to go Nitro or Electric. What are the pros and cons? Are most of the popular street cars 1:10? How do I know what bodies are interchangable with what model? Thanks for the help!
a good kit to start is something like the tc4 rtr and electric would probably be easier to drive than a nitro
Old 01-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Like a previous poster said, it all depends on what you want to do with it... If you are just going to bash around with friends, a Traxxas RTR kit is all you need, but if you plan on wanting to race then I would suggest a Team Associated car, as for RTR's they are usually good, and can be upgraded fairly easily.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Another choice?????

Originally Posted by donm3ga
Hey everyone,

Don't forget about the Xray T2R......$250.00 Cdn......and completely upgradable to 007 status later!!!! Very durable and very popular up here!!! Just my opinion!!!!
Old 01-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

the best thing to do is to go around to a couple of your LHS (local hobby shops) and see wat they stock cause the worst thing is to break something and wait 1-2 weeks to get it shipped, also if you are going to race a T2r is a great option as it is cheap but still gets the job done

Depends what you want to do with it. I've started with $500 to start and in a few short months has increased to around $1500. Once you figure that out it's just a case of picking up something suited.... good luck
watch out for this i did the same lol
Old 01-29-2007, 01:04 AM
Tech Champion

The Tamiya ta05 is a very under rated car, its strong, cheap for what you get and can be upgraded for better performance as your skill improves. (lighter parts, or alloy if you prefer). It comes fully ballraced (except the steering arms) straight out the box.

The standard plastic parts are rather durable, even the cheapest kit comes with a motor, add your r/c equipement to the cost (handset,reciever,servo, battery pack(s), charger and speed control and you have a cheap way into rc cars.

Maybe its a biased opinion as I have one myself, but if you see one for yourself in a shop you can see for yourself how i've come to my own conclusion
Old 01-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Yep

Originally Posted by DirkB

watch out for this i did the same lol
Old 02-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up new eighth sccale buggy

hello
Iam somewhat new to rc'ing. I used to race when the losi xxnt was brand new on the market and a few months after that I sut it down until one week ago.
Now since this three or so years the rc industry has leaped forward trmendously i think.
To make a long question short, I know what a wel engineered rc vehicle should drive/fly like, so now I want to know what is the best all around buggy for my buck.
Also tips on motors (.21), new tech radios, turbo glow plugs, e.t.c. ( all the new stuff will be helpfull.
I would sure appreciate some info regarding these topics to hopefully get me on the right track, within six months i'll say.
Thank you very much!!!

[email protected] or doze [email protected]
Old 02-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Default differences of xxx-nt

hello,
recently my little bro' has became very fond of this fine sport like all of us and searched e-bay for a xxx-nt. An adam drake series 1 is available but my little bro wants a new xxx-nt drake series #2. what are the differences between the ad1 vs. the ad2 drake trucks? Are they similar in perormance features? and second question is, what motor is available (.12) for the xxx-nt that would be excellent right out of the box for competition?
And as of my own question, What motor set up can I buy for the Losi 8ight buggy (.21) that would be capable of performing well in races as well?

We both would appreciate a response asap on these questions before the purchase deadline on e-bay expires. Thank you guys so much for the info!!

Doze jr & lil bro'
Old 02-11-2007, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

the AD2 (adam drake 2) has more adjustments. don't know much more than that. A good motor for a 1/10 truck is an o.s. max cv-r. it's a good motor to start with (around $110. give or take a few).

as far as the buggy thing goes im in the same spot as you are. going to buy a hyper 7 pretty soon.

hope this helps a little.

alex.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The AD2 is lighter than the AD1, theAD2 has quick release rear wheels and uses the same wheels front and rear. I think they have different trans. as well