Wiki Posts
Search

Major Noob Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 12:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Major Noob Question

Hello, I am what you would classufy as a Major noob to this hobby. I am wanting to start a RC club here on campus (Liberty University Lynchburg, VA).

I need help with what to do and how to do it.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:53 AM
Tech Master

I'd have to say that the best move right now, is to find other people that would love to help you start up this club. Obviously, they would have to already be familiar with RC cars (otherwise they wouldn't be much help). So try find people that run rc around.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

where is that in VA south?

there are already quite a few places to race in VA

starting a club without first having spent some time racing would probably be a mistake

first you must crawl before you can run
Old 03-02-2003, 11:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by jason102276
where is that in VA south?

there are already quite a few places to race in VA

starting a club without first having spent some time racing would probably be a mistake

first you must crawl before you can run
I am in Southwest Virginia, about an hour away from Danville. I will be racing back home when I go for Spring Break in about two weeks. I also will be doing a lot of racing over the summer. I am actually looking into this for next year (considering that it really wont be worth my while to try to start it up with only two months to go in the academic year). This idea isnt as "pie in the sky" as my motorcross idea, I just want to get something going, kind of noobies helping and learning from other noobies sort of thing
Old 03-02-2003, 04:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

check out linneville hobbies

when i went there it was near skyline dr and lurray caverns

i dont know how far that is from you

i live in MD near DC so i am not to familiar with southeren VA

where is back home?

lots of race tracks around in VA if your not afraid to drive

there is alot of things that go with starting a club gotta build a track then buy a scoring system expect nearly 10k or more to get everything you would need plus you must find a place where they will let you run

and it is seriously aggrevating when the race directors dont know what they are doing especially when the computer seems to screw up usually half way through the main
Old 03-03-2003, 03:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by jason102276
check out linneville hobbies

when i went there it was near skyline dr and lurray caverns

i dont know how far that is from you

i live in MD near DC so i am not to familiar with southeren VA

where is back home?

lots of race tracks around in VA if your not afraid to drive

there is alot of things that go with starting a club gotta build a track then buy a scoring system expect nearly 10k or more to get everything you would need plus you must find a place where they will let you run

and it is seriously aggrevating when the race directors dont know what they are doing especially when the computer seems to screw up usually half way through the main

Well, maybe you cut a few too many corners and it wont register your transponder anymore

But seriously, I am from Portsmouth, VA and my LHS are (yes I have two) Hobbytown USA and Debbies RC World, bith in Va Beach. Im going to get some ideas from them when I go home for spring break in two weeks
Old 03-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yeah, if you ask for information on starting a club from ROAR.... You dont get much at All. I combed the net, and found a base set of by laws, and such. Setting up a club is a serious commitment, and can be difficult if you do not have support from a group of racers. As Jason said it is also a big financial nut to crack. If you want any of the documents I drafted, I can sent them to ya. just PM me.