Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine related question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Engine related question

I recently bought a Hyper 8 with a RB S5. It's the first engine that I need to break-in and setup on my own. I have a few questions:

1) What kind of damage could be caused by break-in the engine at rather cool tempreature like 60F? The place that I can break-in has no immediate access to electrical outlet to heat up the engine before starting.

2) I can start the engine successfully, but it stalls whenever I tried to pull the throttle even a little bit. Should I lean the high-speed needle a bit first?

3) What are the signs of the clutch springs is too hard?

4) When I was trying to return the low-speed needle back to factory setting (as a starting point so that I can start tuning the engine from the beginning), I accidently pushed in the slider and close the needle, will I damage the carburetor?

TIA
Old 10-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi there!

1. You'll want to break in your engine at temps of around 200F ambient temp. Breaking in an engine too cold will lead to premature wear and shorter engine life.

2. Try clearing the engine out first by blipping the throttle , but its probably too rich. Start with the factory settings and remember its always better to be too rich than too lean. For break in - just lean it slowly till it runs rich but doesn't cut out everytime you give it some throttle.

3. If the springs are too hard , your engine will be revving hard without the car moving. But stock clutches are usually too soft if anything. You probably won't need to tune this for the moment.

4. If you mean you pushed the carb in while tuning the screw then no , they are supposed to slide in and out.

All the best.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Tech Regular

i am a hyper 8 driver as well you can look up the hyper 8 thread i posted a really good base setup a while back. as far as the engine problems here goes.

1. If you can't find a elec. outlet to get the ngine up to temp it will not effect the engine but it will be very hard to start. Heat causes expansion and at the tempature the sleeve is cold and tight so it will be hard to get a starter box to turn it over without sticking at top dead center. Room tempature has no effect on break in other than what i mentioned, if you don't get the engine over 200f degrees during the breakin process the sleeve wil not have expanded properly and you will be forcing the piston into a too tight sleeve causeing extreme strain on the connecting rod and possibly premature wear to the sleeve. and engine that is broken in below 200f degrees is in danger of breaking a connecting rod unexpectidly (not during break in but maybe the 2-3 gallon mark) and short engine life due to a damaged sleeve.

2. more than likely your running one the rich side, lean out the hsn a hour at a time until it runs and be sure to blip the throttle as soon as it fires up so incase your low speed is overlly rich it is not loading up and causeing the problem. make sure you have your idle gap set at 1-1.5mm.

3. if the clutch springs are too stiff the clutch will slip under acceleration or the engine could hit too hard and cause the tires to spin, for a rb s5 i reccomend alumn. or carbon shoes with 1.0 springs.

4. the only time this can damage the carb. is if you screw the lsn all the way in with the throttle body all the way in. At factory settings it should be a problem at all.

have fun with your hyper 8 its a great car