Wiki Posts
Search

Frozen Carburetor?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)
Default Frozen Carburetor?!

I have an OS TZ 5 port engine - (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJFY9&P=3)

This morning I was performing some repairs on my model (HPI r40). When I reached the engine to adjust the carburetor position, I loosened the carburetor nut. I tried to move the carburetor to a new position (in the past this worked fine) but I noticed it wasn’t moving. So, I took the engine completely out and tried moving the carburetor completely out of the crankcase. It wouldn’t budge! I took the engine and used a rubber tapping hammer to loosen the carb but it didn’t go anywhere.

I completed removed the carb nut but still no go.

The engine has been run of 3/4 gallon of nitro (20%) since July. I have the feeling that the locking plastic piece inside is roasted in place (is this possible?). Are there any other methods I should try to get this carb loose? I do not want to apply too much force to get it apart. What is an amateur to do!?

Thanks
Surreal
Old 09-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Tech Regular

the last time u tightnd the carb on u tightnd it to tight and have put a groov on the carb. now there is a lip on the carb so u cant get the carb out of the crank case. this happend to a guy at our track. it took a huge ass pair of channel lock's and 2 big guys to pull it out.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

Thanks. I was able to pull out the carb this morning. There is some damage to the carb plastic seal, but nothing too bad. What helped was I tapped on the carb retainer rod to loosen the grip. I didn't need channel locks but it was still difficult to remove.