Community
Wiki Posts
Search

problem with charging...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

Default problem with charging...

ok heres my problem, i just bought a tc4 a month ago wirh a epic 3000 battery and a tower power ac/dc 400 quick charger....ok that charger, charged my battery in like 30 minutes and i had like 15min of play....some poeple told me that this charger was dangerous and was really a bad charger...soo i went and bought a intellipeak digital pulse charger...ok my problem is this....dont know if the charger is ok or i dont know how to use it...i charge the battery in slow charge and dont know how much time i have to leave it charging..i left it today like 2 hours charging and went out and it gave me like 3 of 4 mines of play...whats happening? how much time does this charger take to charge my battery? do i have to leave it charging more hours?

sorry about this thread but im a newb in RC lol...thanks for the help..
Old 05-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I looked up that tower 400 charger, it looks to be very low end peak charger charging at low amp rates. ITs ok for bashing but its not high quality and i would not trust the latest 3300-4200 cells on it as you should have adjustable delta peak settings. AT LEAST its not a timer charger!

You new charger is a step in the right direction but again its lacking adjustable peak values but im sure it will work safely regardless. I used to run the APEX version of that charger for years good bang for the buck.. I beleive your not using it properly though, if you set it to 5 or 6amps you should be able to charge your back in 30-45 minutes. IT had trickle charge and you dont want to charge that way. READ the manual agian, if i recall it takes a sereis of button pushing to swithc modes, one push was discharge, 2 was charge and 3 was discharge before going into charge. Dont quote me on that read the manual again.

PS never "LEAVE" a battery charging un attended. IF you must do it on a concrete floor away from anything flamable.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
I looked up that tower 400 charger, it looks to be very low end peak charger charging at low amp rates. ITs ok for bashing but its not high quality and i would not trust the latest 3300-4200 cells on it as you should have adjustable delta peak settings. AT LEAST its not a timer charger!

You new charger is a step in the right direction but again its lacking adjustable peak values but im sure it will work safely regardless. I used to run the APEX version of that charger for years good bang for the buck.. I beleive your not using it properly though, if you set it to 5 or 6amps you should be able to charge your back in 30-45 minutes. IT had trickle charge and you dont want to charge that way. READ the manual agian, if i recall it takes a sereis of button pushing to swithc modes, one push was discharge, 2 was charge and 3 was discharge before going into charge. Dont quote me on that read the manual again.

PS never "LEAVE" a battery charging un attended. IF you must do it on a concrete floor away from anything flamable.

ok there are 2 switched that i dont know what to do with them...at the back of the charger i have a switch...2a and 10a...where do i put it? a friend of mine told me that 10a was too much for my battery, is that right?

and on the front i have this peak charge amps..0.5 to 6.5...where do i put it?
Old 05-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Those switches are for disharging the batteries not charging. 10A discharge is not going to hurt the batteries.

Did you figure out how to charge the batteries?

Should be able to set the amps - I recommend 5.5 and hit start and cannot remember how to kill the trickle - you do not want that happening.

Like Joel said - read the manual and also be patient on figuring out how to use it.

See ya later,

mc
Old 05-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Yep 2amp or 10 amp discharge both are safe use the 10 amp. The only slight risk you could run is if your running the tamiya white connectors on your esc and battery that sometimes they can melt. But i have seen them melt during charging and runnign in a car. The connectors are high resistance low quality. But again run them till they are problem, i dont want to start telling to go buy plugs.... well unless u want too (get deans)

Charge at 5 to 6amps.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Yep 2amp or 10 amp discharge both are safe use the 10 amp. The only slight risk you could run is if your running the tamiya white connectors on your esc and battery that sometimes they can melt. But i have seen them melt during charging and runnign in a car. The connectors are high resistance low quality. But again run them till they are problem, i dont want to start telling to go buy plugs.... well unless u want too (get deans)

Charge at 5 to 6amps.
yea i got tamiya connectors, ok im understanding now...soo the switch at the back is for discharging purpose only....the one at the front i had it at 3.0 was that why it was charging soo slow?

ok another question...it has to charge in peak charge or slow charge?

thanks for the help
Old 05-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

another thing...what is the numbers im seeing in the screen? output voltage, output amps and capacity in mah??
Old 05-22-2006, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

-You need to be peak charging only, slow charge is for tranmitter or receiver batteries at 1amp

-3amps is too low, turn it up to 5-6amps, this will reduce charge time and give the packs punch

-Voltage is the voltage of the pack during charge, if you watch near the end you will see the voltage hit a peak then start to drop in number.
-AMP is the amp rate at witch you are charging at
-Mah is milliamp hours. In a perfect world your 3000mah pack will peak at or around 3000. Sometimes higher or lower many things can effect this(was it full discharged? was it parially charged?) Either way its a visual for you to see how far along the pack is and how close it is to peaking.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

-You need to be peak charging only, slow charge is for tranmitter or receiver batteries at 1amp

-3amps is too low, turn it up to 5-6amps, this will reduce charge time and give the packs punch

-Voltage is the voltage of the pack during charge, if you watch near the end you will see the voltage hit a peak then start to drop in number.
-AMP is the amp rate at witch you are charging at
-Mah is milliamp hours. In a perfect world your 3000mah pack will peak at or around 3000. Sometimes higher or lower many things can effect this(was it full discharged? was it parially charged?) Either way its a visual for you to see how far along the pack is and how close it is to peaking.

ok i think i fixed my problem...i peak charged it at 6amps, and the mah peaked at 2,500...dont know why...then it went to slow charge...took it like that and went for a run..and it gave me like 15min of play..lol...im happy now...the only strange thing was that the batteri got really hot during charging...why??
Old 05-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

nimh batteries work well at temps around 120-130.

if you look further into chargers consider a pulsar (sport/version 1/version 2)
they can be had for a decent price, last forever and give a very consistent charge....
Old 05-23-2006, 04:06 AM
Tech Elite

hot is normal at 6amps, if its bothering you charge at 5amps, your running sport packs so you can go a little easier on them at 5amps.

Slow charge is the default after charge. i am not sure if you can turn that off on that charger. Best thing is to remove the pack after fast charge ends..

Have fun!