Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slipper pegs or ball bearings

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 11:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Slipper pegs or ball bearings

I have just gotten my truck, electric stampede, I would like input on slipper clutch. Do ball bearings have any pros or cons over 6/12 stock pegs? Came with 6 pegs stock.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Try 12 pegs for starters... the balls are a good idea but they might provide too much slipper action.

First off, buy some oversized bearings and some RPM bearing carriers, then the rest is up to you......................
Old 03-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up thanks for slipper tip

Thanks, That makes sense about too much slipping. I have put 5x8 wheel bearings in for now (didn't know about larger carriers until i had already ordered bearing kit, thats next) Truck hasn't even been turned on yet but the diff in spinning the wheels just by hand was unreal. The tranny already had bearings so i already have 6 of the 5x11 when i get the new carriers. Hope you check back I'm sure to have more questions as i get into this.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The pegs are all u should be using in the slipper clutch. Adding diff balls to the spur gear not really an option. The only time u would be doing that is if that spur gear was to be used in a pan car. In that case it would become the diff for that car. Using balls in your slipper clutch will result in a slipper that slips all the time. If it does work it will bark loudly when it slips. On losi and ae buggies they use slipper pads instead of begs, different material same function
Old 03-24-2006, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Well the ball bearing idea has been around for a while. I personally have never tried it, but some people claim it works in that type of system. I can't really see it working too good myself, but it is possible, and in theory it would work, the only problem is how well it would work and for how long.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Default slipper clutch

After a little more thought, i am not going to try them. It might even wear the spur gear more with the balls spinning inside the holes. I only wasted $1.50 on 'em. I'm waiting on the charger and some more batteries before i determine what my next dilema will be.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Well the next time you have a problem, there will still be 30,705 people here on RCTech waiting to help you out.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up beyond slipper pads now

Been doing a lot of tearing up the backyard since the last post. Even hit the pond once with a stylish type of piroutting cartwheel thingy after zipping over the turn banking with a new 17t trinity motor. caught it as quck as possible and pulled battry. NO DAMAGE... Just had to dry and clean. Back running sane day. Anyway 12 pegs in the slipper is the set up i ended up with.
Only have 30 hrs run time and other than the submarine trip, only general maintenance has been done. Love this stampede....
Old 06-01-2006, 02:44 AM
Tech Elite

lol nice