Wiki Posts
Search

Need Help with Gearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

Default Need Help with Gearing

I need help with gearing a Losi xxx-s/stock motor
I asked a near hobby shop and they gave me a blue spur gear that's 122 th and a pinion that's 36 th. Is that too high because in my manual it says stock motors gearing is 22th pinion and 88 spur. So if it is too high and not ok, please help me find the right one for a stock motor
Old 12-13-2002, 12:51 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Need Help with Gearing

Originally posted by NeO-pRo-3
I need help with gearing a Losi xxx-s/stock motor
I asked a near hobby shop and they gave me a blue spur gear that's 122 th and a pinion that's 36 th. Is that too high because in my manual it says stock motors gearing is 22th pinion and 88 spur. So if it is too high and not ok, please help me find the right one for a stock motor
If I remember right didn't the manual recommend a 26t pinion to go with the 88t spur? Anyway with what you're listing from your hobby store the final ratio would be 6.20. This is close to what I remember the manual recommendation of 6.19.

A problem I see is that a 122t 48 pitch spur will be huge. I don't think Losi even makes a 48 pitch this big. If it's 64 pitch then make sure the pinion is 64 pitch.

You can start with the recommended final ratio but you'll have to play with it. For instance if the motor gets too hot then you'll have to get a big final ratio. Make 1 or 2 teeth changes at a time and see how the motor is.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:54 AM
Tech Adept

i would recommend an overall drive ratio of 7.

that works pretty well for most stock motors, sorry haven't a clue what gearing that would be on your car as i don't have it.

have a nice day

sanj
Old 12-13-2002, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Here's how you calculate the gear ratio on an rc car:

<spur teeth> / <pinion teeth> X <internal transmission ratio>

The internal transmission ratio on the XXX-S is 1.83

So, you calculate as follows:

122/36=3.389 3.889X1.83=6.20167 (close enough, sydewinder ) The final gear ratio is expressed as 6.20:1

The blue 122T spur is 64 pitch.

You always want to gear your car to the track, not based on other people's recommendations. Two of the exact same type of motor can gear completely differently, so that's why you always want to gear to the track. The way you gear for the track is to start with the gearing that you have, which should be in the ballpark for a stock motor. Do a hot lap and watch where the speed tops out on the longest straightaway. You want it to top out just as you enter the turn at the end of the straightaway. If it tops out early, you're geared too low, so go up a tooth on the pinion. If it seems like it still has more speed as you let off, you are geared too high and you should go down a tooth on the pinion. Once you get that set, then you may want to make a change to get better performance in the infield section. It's kind of a trial and error thing until you figure the car out. Once you have more experience racing the car, you'll know exactly what combination you need depending on how the car feels on the track. If you plan to stick with 64P, you should pick up pinions in the 5.8:1 to 7:1 range and you'll be ready for any track layout.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:46 PM
Tech Regular

alright thank you guys
Old 12-16-2002, 03:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by psycho
Here's how you calculate the gear ratio on an rc car:

<spur teeth> / <pinion teeth> X <internal transmission ratio>

The internal transmission ratio on the XXX-S is 1.83

So, you calculate as follows:

122/36=3.389 3.889X1.83=6.20167 (close enough, sydewinder ) The final gear ratio is expressed as 6.20:1

The blue 122T spur is 64 pitch.

You always want to gear your car to the track, not based on other people's recommendations. Two of the exact same type of motor can gear completely differently, so that's why you always want to gear to the track. The way you gear for the track is to start with the gearing that you have, which should be in the ballpark for a stock motor. Do a hot lap and watch where the speed tops out on the longest straightaway. You want it to top out just as you enter the turn at the end of the straightaway. If it tops out early, you're geared too low, so go up a tooth on the pinion. If it seems like it still has more speed as you let off, you are geared too high and you should go down a tooth on the pinion. Once you get that set, then you may want to make a change to get better performance in the infield section. It's kind of a trial and error thing until you figure the car out. Once you have more experience racing the car, you'll know exactly what combination you need depending on how the car feels on the track. If you plan to stick with 64P, you should pick up pinions in the 5.8:1 to 7:1 range and you'll be ready for any track layout.

I rounded my calculations so I chopped off the 0.00167 Sorry I'm not as precise as you are.