Community
Wiki Posts
Search

novak tc2 touring troubleshooting help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Default novak tc2 touring troubleshooting help

I have a Novak TC2 cyclone, bought it used a month ago. I plugged it into my old Tamiya buggy. On a full charged battery, the car goes really slow, like 5 mph or less and it only runs for less than a minute before it starts to slow down and stop.

i suspect there is something wrong with the ESC. is there an easy way to troubleshoot the ESC? i tried resetting it by pushing the button per the instructions manual, but that didn't help.

any help would be appreciated.

thx.
Attached Thumbnails novak tc2 touring troubleshooting help-esc1.jpg   novak tc2 touring troubleshooting help-esc2.jpg  
Old 03-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default speedie

Have you reset the C2 to your radio check the instructions of speedie.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Have you got everything wired properly? I had similar issues with a motorcycle battery dying while it was sitting. Turns out I had two wires incorrectly connected for a blinker.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks for the responses. I tried resetting it but that didn't help. I will double check my connections.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by newm5
thanks for the responses. I tried resetting it but that didn't help. I will double check my connections.
how about checking your motor!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 05:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default tc2

i have one of those, i love mine. never had a problem with it.. sounds like eather the motor is junk or your radio is not set right. does the light on the esc turn green when it's floored??? if not check mannual and set radio to what the esc needs.?
Old 03-02-2006, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I know what your problem is, i looked at your pictures(very good of u to post) And they tell a thousand words.

You need to get someone with proper soldering iron and skills to rewire that esc.
You have cold solder joints right at the esc, the wires are not properly tinned. The connectors used at your motor are very high resitance and likely crimped on rather then soldered on, also the tamiya connector is another high resistance connection, also u have frayed wires and i just hope that under that black tape there is wires soldered together and not just twisted together ") ...

Proof? Last week at the track a new racer complained of the same issues u had, i found the same connectors used at the motor and bullet connectors going to the esc. All of wich came off hot after a short run and he managed to speed up his car almost twice as fast after i re-wired his car..

Solder the wires direct to the motor for max run time and punch, For a few bucks get some deans ultra plugs to connect to your battery pack and esc. Re-tin the wires and get a good solid solder joint going to the esc. Im an very confident this is the majority of your problem. TReat your esc to fresh wire would not be such a bad idea either

Please tell us how it goes.

Last edited by Joel Lagace; 03-02-2006 at 07:14 AM. Reason: more info
Old 03-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Suspended

you need to invest in some servo tape!!, The wiring scares me just by looking at it. Rewire it, sounds like maybe your motor brushes are hanging up.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
how about checking your motor!!!
I think Marcos is throwing you a little hint Hit up the link in the sig.

Elsewise that is a great speedo, I have a very used one- it always delivers. With all the resistance of your current wiring job it is probably shutting itself off before actual damage occurs. You dont want anything touching anything, keep the soldering clean and use deans plus or hardwire. It's a pain but once I started hardwiring i noticed the difference...
Old 03-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Tech Initiate

thanks for the responses. I switched the motor to a different one the other day and that helped a little. the car would go pretty fast for about 30 seconds or so before it died down again.

I will resolder and fix the wiring mess sometime this week and let you guys know how it went.

Last edited by newm5; 03-09-2006 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

YA for sure its your wiring. You can try 10 motors they will all slow down after the bad connections heat up and resistance goes through the roof
Old 03-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

I did a bad wiring job and burned up a 100 esc.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

clean wiring is like an art form. i've redone the wiring on my esc a number of times before i was happy. every couple months i will start from scratch just to try to get it better...