Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo Battery + HPI Micro

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Lipo Battery + HPI Micro

So the short version is that I hooked up a (2-cell) lipo battery to my HPI micro RC car. It ran great!!!! So speedy and all. The next day, it would hardly move (goes very slowly). Plus the wires started melting (wires to ESC).

So I've learned my lesson: Don't use LiPo on RC cars because the batteries allow too much current to be drawn. I want to repair my HPI Micro. But I don't want to buy a new ESC + a new motor. Any ideas what part needs to be replaced? What do you think burnt out? (ESC, motor bushings, etc?)

Thanks for your help.

--Newbie.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Li-po is safe in cars
Something may have been suck in the drivetrain causeig it to go slowly and the extra effort required to move the load caused the current to melt the wires. I seen people using three cell lipo packs in cars with success.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks man. I'm hoping this is the case. When I get home this weekend, I'll check the drivetrain.

If anyone else has any ideas, then let me know.

Well, actually, if Lipo is okay, then why don't more people use them in RC cars? They're so fricken good as far as I can tell (other than cost and extra care in handling)
Old 02-22-2006, 01:32 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by hawkz
Thanks man. I'm hoping this is the case. When I get home this weekend, I'll check the drivetrain.

If anyone else has any ideas, then let me know.

Well, actually, if Lipo is okay, then why don't more people use them in RC cars? They're so fricken good as far as I can tell (other than cost and extra care in handling)
Mainly because they are not legal for racing yet and until thry are most people won't buy them.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:01 AM
Tech Rookie

I have another question. I have stuck it (the 7.4V 2-cell lipo) into my 1/10 sized car with a 20T motor and it'll barely move the motor. What gives?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

If u pick it up off the ground and give it a rev does it spools u quick it may be geared to tall but i don't think so with a 20T. Check ur radio u may have bumped or changed the throttle percentange and its only giving u like 10% throttle.

Hope this helps