Wiki Posts
Search

LST Spitting Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default LST Spitting Fuel

Hello everyone,
I was having trouble starting up my new LST1 so I brought it over to my buddy's place, who when he couldn't figure out the problem, directed me here. So here I am.

I picked up an LST1 and got it all ready to run. I finally got a chance to start it up when the weather was nice and I got the fuel in it, popped on the igniter, started it spinning and the thing literally spits fuel out the exhaust pipe. If I do get it running it continues to spray fuel out the pipe. If I get it running and hit the gas on the transmitter it immediately stalls. The only time we've gotten it to even move we had it on part throttle as we spun it on, then it hesitated for several moments before it finally took off leaving a streak of fuel down the driveway. We turned it around and brought it back and got it going agtain and it left a refreshed trail of fuel. We stopped it again and it idled down a little and stalled out when we tried the gas again.

Please help me out... We've reset the carb screws to factory direct and tried tuning it a bit with no results.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (95%+)

Originally Posted by Shannador
Hello everyone,
I was having trouble starting up my new LST1 so I brought it over to my buddy's place, who when he couldn't figure out the problem, directed me here. So here I am.

I picked up an LST1 and got it all ready to run. I finally got a chance to start it up when the weather was nice and I got the fuel in it, popped on the igniter, started it spinning and the thing literally spits fuel out the exhaust pipe. If I do get it running it continues to spray fuel out the pipe. If I get it running and hit the gas on the transmitter it immediately stalls. The only time we've gotten it to even move we had it on part throttle as we spun it on, then it hesitated for several moments before it finally took off leaving a streak of fuel down the driveway. We turned it around and brought it back and got it going agtain and it left a refreshed trail of fuel. We stopped it again and it idled down a little and stalled out when we tried the gas again.

Please help me out... We've reset the carb screws to factory direct and tried tuning it a bit with no results.

Thanks

try going in on each needle 1 hour

imagine the needle as a clock and each number is one hour thats all you need it is really rich and will not hurt to take them in.

if it still too much then take the top in another hour if it doesnt help put it back and take the bottom on an hour.

just remember to take it slow and if you make an adjustment and it doesnt work put it back that way you wont get lost.

good luck
Old 02-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

The engine is spitting fuel out of the exhaust because its running rich....you`ll need to make sure you run the engine in properly (so that the piston & sleeve are correctly matched) before you go leaning the engine out too far.
Follow the running-in instructions on Josh Cyrul`s website (www.cefx.net), and then theres also instructions there on how to tune the engine once its run-in.
Once its run-in and correctly tuned you`ll find you have a nice trail of smoke out of the exhaust rather than it spittting fuel.
Cheers
Old 02-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (95%+)

Originally Posted by AndyT ©
The engine is spitting fuel out of the exhaust because its running rich....you`ll need to make sure you run the engine in properly (so that the piston & sleeve are correctly matched) before you go leaning the engine out too far.
Follow the running-in instructions on Josh Cyrul`s website (www.cefx.net), and then theres also instructions there on how to tune the engine once its run-in.
Once its run-in and correctly tuned you`ll find you have a nice trail of smoke out of the exhaust rather than it spittting fuel.
Cheers
if it is running so rich as to be spitting fuel out just idling it will do no harm what so ever to lean it out an hour on each needle.

follow the instructions in the owners manual to a tee when breaking it in doing so will insure that when there is a problem you can tell them it was broke in properly.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Well, everyone was right, and I guess I knew it myself, that the truck was running to rich, but I confirmed it... I had not touched the screw since I got it home so I'd assumed that it was at the factory preset. I was wrong.

I pulled out the manual and it says that the stock setting should be 2.5 turns out from the the closed position... well, I screwed it in to closed and it went in 4 turns...

So, we went out to try it out again, but by that time all the other parts involved had been sitting in my car and my igniter was too cold/dead to light up the glow plug anymore... but just spinning it it sounded healthier... it's about 16 degrees here now and everything freshly charged, so if it warm up a little more I'm gonna give it another go.

Thanks everyone.