Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
GTX question for electric noob >

GTX question for electric noob

GTX question for electric noob

Old 02-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Default GTX question for electric noob

I am trying to change the hardwiring on the ESC and I am having trouble, I have a 60 watt iron, I should be able to get those black wires off of the solder tabs right? It seems like my iron doesn't loosen it up at all and I'm worried about frying the ESC. So I cut off the wires and soldered the wires to the left over solder, and turned on the ESC, w/o turning on the radio, immediately the motor took off then eventually died into a loud humm. I played with the connections from the receiver to the esc, but now i cant get the motor to respond, just that humm.

The connector from the esc goes in the throttle connection on the receiver or the aux. Sorry man, I am a total newbie
any ideas...
Old 02-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

make sure that there isnt any sodder on the tabs it should be some space beteen the wires on the tab. if there if the sodder is touching each other DONT TURN ON THE ESC. go to raido scack and pick up some stuff that sokes up sodder and that stuff is good.idk the name of it but they will. hope this helps you
Old 02-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Solder wick, great stuff by the way. It is flat braided copper that just "wicks" up solder.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bignotch
It seems like my iron doesn't loosen it up at all and I'm worried about frying the ESC.
use some flux on the joint before heating it up, it'll definitely help. old solder can be hard to melt even with the appropriate iron