Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Region 12

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 07:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sorry I didnt mean to sound like an azz and figured it was smething like that.

So did you make your husband Stinky1? or was it a self admission : )

Either way it is nice that ROAR employees are even posting here.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

thanks.. actually, Rick, Randy Holst and I are the moderators of this forum. We wanted to open this site simply for these kind of discussions and hope they can be held to an adult level...

so, of course, I completely respect your comment and erased the post I made.

I have no idea why he chose Stinky1... its kinda funny though. He's on the off road electric committee so he comes here as well to receive ideas and make use of the committee work to better improve RC racing... sometimes, though.. he's a bit confrontational which is why I was jabbing at Rick...
Old 08-19-2004, 07:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Last edited by Stinky1; 08-23-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well you are right about the Nationals and entry limits. I guess what I should have said was more classes would take more time at an event as opposed to just more entries in less classes to a point.

I don’t know where ABQ is but I know what you mean I got into this hobby in Colorado Springs back n the early 90’s. All military guys looking for something to do indoors but there was not as much of a separation at the time between basher and racer cars at least in off road.

I agree 100% about the largest market being the bashers (crappy name for them) and ROAR should look at how to get them in. It makes sense but I would guess is a lot of work for someone?

I don’t know how ROAR would go about getting the manufactures to sign up for manufacturing cars that fit within ROAR rules even if ROAR makes them more all inclusive then they are now?

But I agree more people bash or play then race. I think the cost is one major issue in that factor simply because the lack of competition. Competition cost more money and if there were a way or rules that make competition affordable to the bashing consumers we all win.

Maybe there is a way to incorporate Sportsman classes with cost control in mind?
Old 08-19-2004, 08:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

How is the Racing in AZ. I am thinking of moving there next year due to the cost of living here in Nor cal ?
Old 08-20-2004, 09:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Last edited by Stinky1; 08-23-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:05 PM
Tech Regular

I also think ROAR needs to step up and penalize cheaters, and just plain bad sportsmanship..........

I was out in Vegas looking for a home, and happened to find that the Gas nats was out here. Awesome I thought, I'll check out the action.............I saw 1/8 scale C-main... A tight race for 1-3 place with 1and 2 bumping up.

With about 1 minute left I saw 3rd place jump a pipe....he waited oh about a nanosecond then proceded to go........hence overtaking second place. During this portion of the race things got even more heated as the now 3rd place proceeded to catch up to 2nd (meanwhile 1st was long gone). with 20 secs left 2nd place crashed and flipped........he was overtaken by 3rd..........

So what did he do? Instead of finishing the race he threw his transmitter off the drivers stand onto the track! It broke into about 3 pieces........and the turnmarshell had to pick it up so it didn't interfere with other drivers.

The race was still happening and a buggy did crash in that same corner (though the turnmarshall was now to busy to help!).

IMO that driver should be banned from next yrs ROAR Nats or even more races. I even think that he should have his membership banned for 1 yr.

--1. he could have hurt/killed a turnmarshal if he hit him in the head (the main reason we join ROAR at tracks if for the insurance......do you want to pay more next yr cuz of some idiot throwing his radio?)
---2. There were still 7 other cars racing for spots on that track......though they may not be bumping up they may be sponsored or just thrilled to make the C-main in the nats and everyspot to them counts!
--3. There were lots of spectators and kids around the track area seeing this. (would you want your kid out their with this guy?)

--4. Just plain B.S............if your that mad break your stuff on your own time.

Now I don't know if roar did anything about this or the track owners. I also don't know the name of the guy involved. But it wouldn't be hard to find out.......just go back over the results. And lastly if someone says the race director didn't see it.........especially at a Nats there should be more than one official watching a race and the turnmarshall at least should have turned him in.

Needless to say I left..........dissappointed with yet another ROAR run race. And you wonder why Snowbirds is so big!
Old 08-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

FYI - the person throwing the transmitter was DQ'd from the event. He was removed from the track, immediately.

The Designated ROAR Official, The Track Referee and the Race Director were present and handled that situation very promptly and professionally. I was present for the conversation and for the penalty phase as a ROAR observer.

I am sorry you left immediately afterwards and mostly, I'm sorry you have lived with this story in your mind since then without knowing the complete facts.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:59 PM
Tech Regular

Well that's awesome..........I'm glad that something was done.......

Maybe there is hope for ROAR after all.

Lastly I'd like ROAR to look into the issue for miltary members.....

Seems I have moved Regions.......yet I was told last year that I couldn't switch Regions mid way through. How is that fair, I don't have a choice on where they send me..........

AMA for Airplanes is accomadationg, why not ROAR?
Old 08-29-2004, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Sweetpea - who informed you of that? That would be incorrect. There is a ROAR rule stating a certain amount of time to compete for regional titles but nothing that prevents you from switching due to a move.

Again, another piece of misinformation.... I'm glad you mentioned it... time to clean this stuff up!!

please email me: full name, new address, new phone number and ROAR number. I'll get it handled for you.

Last edited by Dawn Sanchez; 08-29-2004 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:46 AM
Tech Regular

That would be my old ROAR region director Ed from MS.........I knew you could race a regional from outside your region, but if you win then your out for the rest of the regionals (if I understand the rule correctly)

No need to worry about switching my membership.........my local track closed so I let my ROAR expire. I'll renew here shortly in Region 12

Thanks for correcting me on the incident of bad sportsmanship, but I still think it should have been made public of what was done on the ROAR site........that way people can see that we take care of our own! And that bad sportsmanship has no place in our Hobby
Old 09-01-2004, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by sweetpea
I knew you could race a regional from outside your region, but if you win then your out for the rest of the regionals
actually, you may compete outside your region with effected region directors permission but you may not compete in another regional event that year if you do.. has nothing to do with where you place.

Old 09-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Yes.........that sounds right.............that is what happened with me.

I moved regions and the "new" region director was going to let me race but said I couldn't accept first place. Basically I was there as a place filler but wasn't welcome. He also never mentioned anything about being able to switch regions. So I got a bad taste for ROAR..............

I do understand the whole running diff regions the same yr isn't allowed........but with the low turnout of Region races, maybe that rule should be looked at again.

I would also like to see a Region championship race.

Put it at the nats............All Region champs get invited to a Region race(with the new AMB system they can all run at once). The top 3 get invites to race in the class with the pros the following yr.

Just some ideas to keep the intrest in Regionals up........
Old 09-01-2004, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

I have always liked the idea of qualifying to get to nationals.. but in the same thought, I also don't like excluding a ROAR member from any event should they choose to go...

ok, but consider this.. we establish a program that you have to race a regional to get to a national... who will keep track of all that information? Remember, this is something that each regional event would be required to report results to and who would it be to verify the entry list at a national to allow that person to race... and, does ROAR have the right to refuse racing to a member in good standing??

Just thoughts to ponder.... not looking for any bashing out there guys... just looking for ideas to make this work because trust me, this idea has been approached before but we couldn't figure an efficient and accurate method to achieve our goal.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

BTW Sweetpea - you were giving the WRONG information and I am very sorry that happened to you... even more so, I wish I could prevent that from happening again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.