Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longer electric races

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 07:10 AM
Suspended

Longer electric races

This topic may have been covered and discussed already, but I have just got back into racing after a 6+ year layoff and wanted to see what information might be available regarding longer races.

Was wondering what steps could be taken to lengthen the off-road and touring car races to 7 minutes, and 12th scale to 10 minutes. I understand this is a bigger issue than just ROAR, as IFMAR would also need to make this change.

As for 12th scale, we were running 8 minute races back when we were using the Sanyo 1200SC batteries. Now we have batteries with nearly 3 times the capacity, and the races are still 8 minutes. Back then (around 1986) we just ran 20 turn motors in modified. The same can be done now...run a 17 turn motor instead of a 14.

The same is true for off-road, and even touring car. Make the races 7 minutes. There's no need to be running 8-turn motors when you can simply make the races longer.

I'm sure there's plenty of racers that 'just want to go fast'. I'm sure there's a lot more that would like to have more track time when they spend a full day at the local races, or travel long distances to spend a weekend at a regional or national event.

I don't believe that this is going to create another battery war either. The capacity is there....you can run modified off road car for 10 minutes easily (as an example).

I realize that this is not an easy rule change, but it's got to start somewhere.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default longer race time

right on man longer touring 1/10 race.7mins is good 4 me.
my .2cents
Old 06-10-2004, 04:14 AM
Tech Champion

Mc Smooth- I agree with you again as I did when we extended the run time in the Florida State series 1-2 years before ROAR did.I don't go along with extending the 1/12th now because we are only running 4 cells( having trouble with run time now- got any killer cells).Then again maybe I should try some of those gear ratio's you did and race 1/2 throttle? Maybe when the new longer lasting cell comes out.But TC and Oval could be extend another minute.
Orange and Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2004, 04:40 AM
Suspended

OK, when I took my temporary leave of racing back in 1997, 1/12 still ran 6 cells. I can understand if everything is 4 cell now and 8 minutes can still be iffy sometimes.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:44 AM
Tech Champion

Yep but maybe some of the crazy gear ratios you did would work for me now. The question is now to convert more people into this thought- more racing time?GO Gators..............
Old 06-15-2004, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

just to clarify - IFMAR would not have to make the change because ROAR does, neither vice versa. ROAR is an IFMAR bloc, which means we send racers to their events - only way to get to worlds in the USA/Canada is through ROAR.

but... increasing the time limit to 7 or 10 minutes.. lets think about that... entrys would have to be decreased at national events due to length of time of the event. Therefore, membership would decrease, therefore membership fees would have to increase.

We have three days. So, if we increase from 5 minutes, which means 8 minutes between races to 10 minutes, now 13 to 14 minutes between races, that means less racing rounds, less numbers of mains... less racing... isn't that what you are trying to avoid??

well you get the point....

an idea worth discussing, but is it feasible for ROAR competition?

BTW - THIS IS JUST A PERSONAL OPINION. NOTHING OFFICIAL IN THE ABOVE STATEMENT.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:48 AM
Suspended

Compared to the late 80's/early 90's...the number of entries in the ROAR Nats is way down anyway. (For example, the 1987 1/12 Nationals in Orlando had 350-400 entries) I don't see the added 2 mintues per heat being a huge problem.

Even the Off-Road Nationals...the 2WD and Truck Mod classes used to go down to the "P" main and such. Haven't seen that happen at a Nationals in quite a while.

Maybe at a race like the Snowbirds (which isn't ROAR sanctioned anyways) or the US Indoor Champs where they still get 400+ entries, then I can see a problem.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not that it matters to anyone here in the good ole USA, but in Japan... all races are now 8 mintues for Stock (23t) and Mod Touring. Just a thought. But they always seem to accept change better than stateside. That's why you see more and more new cars come from Tamiya than AE. Anyways... consider it. I've always pushed for more run time. Kinda like how Nitro gets to run a 10 minute, 30 minute, or 1 hour main. We get stuck with 5 minutes. Of course for National Events... we do do triple A mains.. hehe..
Old 07-01-2004, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

and here in the good ole U. S. of A. - well, we do AAA mains as well....

how many entrys in a typical national event with 8 minute races and how many days to complete qualifying and main events?

Old 07-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That's what I said.. We do triple A mains... I should have clarified that... we do it here in the USA hehe... As far as what the turnout was for the Japanese Nationals.. I don't know. I do know they separate the Stock Nationals from the Mod Nationals. Combine the 2 and I'm sure it's bigger than it was here in NC last year. Of course we are talking about NC.. If it were in Cali... it would be bigger.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I dont think longer heats or mains are good for the hobby,You guy's talk alot about wanting to get more people into racing,If you start having 8min races the norm for TC's in stock,You better have some really good batterys,and your motors are not going to last as long,I'm all for a 8min. brushless class but until that happens, the longer the races the more it costs,and that puts alot of kids out of racing..
Old 07-05-2004, 08:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Longer Races????????????

Why do you want longer races? You want play the battery game some more. I am sure old Ernie and the battery and motor boys would really like to have some more of your money. so if you like to give more money to the pros, have you some longer races and spend you some more money.

MORE MONEY FOR THE BIG BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

mike sorry to dissagree withyou!

right now feathering the throttle and gearing like bill says with these 4 cell cars and 19t motors we are pushing it!
I mean I get team packs and i come of the track with 10 to 20 seconds of battery.
I am sorry but I dont want to live the battery war of the 90's that is a reason I quit the first time!
second touring car stock and 19t could go maybe (pushing the motors) to six minutes.

the motors are getting hot now within a five minute race imagine after 8.
Increasing rave length isnt the answer.
for the first time in r/c racing we actually pull the trigger and dont worry about dumping with sedan! Its a peace of mind and makes for better driving when the racers arent thinking while they are racing "am I going to dump"

we DO NOT NEED ANOTHER BATTERY WAR" please!
Old 07-08-2004, 05:06 AM
Suspended

Hector, as I stated above, leave 12th scale alone if the runtime is still an issue.

As for Mod Touring cars, those guys are running EIGHT TURN MOTORS! They'd probably run fewer turns if the rules would allow them to. That's why the motors are getting so hot. If you make the race 7 minutes, you just run a milder motor. I'm sure runtime isn't a problem in any stock or 19-turn class.

I know if off-road, you can run a 12-turn motor in a buggy, and run for at least 10 minutes. This is why I'd like to see the races run longer.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.