Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
Trex 450 Sport a good newbie helicopter? >

Trex 450 Sport a good newbie helicopter?

Trex 450 Sport a good newbie helicopter?

Old 09-21-2015, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Trex 450 Sport a good newbie helicopter?

A friend has a Align Trex 450 Sport for sale, complete minus the radio and batteries. My RC helicopter experience is very limited to just micro and fixed pitch choppers. Would this model be a good starter in terms of stability and user friendliness? He also has a Trex 450 Pro for sale for a bit more.

Keen to get into choppers but not 100% sure what i should be buying.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Coopz
A friend has a Align Trex 450 Sport for sale, complete minus the radio and batteries. My RC helicopter experience is very limited to just micro and fixed pitch choppers. Would this model be a good starter in terms of stability and user friendliness? He also has a Trex 450 Pro for sale for a bit more.

Keen to get into choppers but not 100% sure what i should be buying.
I learned on a T-rex 450 clone. they are good to learn on in the sense that parts are readily available which is important because you will be crashing and rebuilding. I must advise if you dont already know. Dont underestimate the potential danger involved. I havent hurt anyone but came real close to it on a couple of occasions.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I learned on a MCPX. I put a welt on my wife one time. Turns out, even the small ones do hurt.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I would never recommend actually learning on a CP heli. I would start out with a quad or a CX heli. You're best way to learn is to get a simulator like Real Flight. The one thing you got going for you is the bigger the heli the more stable it is. I did a bit of learning on a 450 and I wish I hadn't. I had to rebuild the head on it almost every time I flew it. And CopperCanyon is right, even the little ones can be dangerous. The 450 can put someone in a hospital real quick so fly it alone in a large area. You're gonna wanna stock up on head parts. Mainshaft, grips, links, pretty much everything but the swash. And another real common thing that breaks when learning is tail pieces. You'll get a lot of tail strikes when trying to land. Is it a belt drive heli or torque tube? Belt drive helis are slightly easier to fly cause the tail isn't as responsive as a torque tube is. I know a busted a few tail booms and tail gears on my Blade 450 when I had it.