Search

Stangas - QAV250 Racing Quad

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 04:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Stangas - QAV250 Racing Quad

Morning all..

Just finished putting together my QAV250 quad.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/391155740950

Bought it off ebay for $400 AUD from hong kong and it arrived in only 4 days. The batteries I ordered from within Australia at the same time only to get an email yesterday saying they have just been sent and could take 45 days

As for the build.. it took me a couple of days due to inexperience. Big thanks to youtube as it was the sole tuition that got me through.

Only dramas I had was with the CC3D flight controller.. the video said the colours of the wires are XYZ and this was not the case for mine, mine were all the same colour. But did find out (after several hours if investigation) that you just plug them all into the radio receiver and the software sorts it all out after.

The major problem I had was with the instructions.. or lack of them.. there were no clear instructions for the video system, and I have had to guess how the connections were made.. for an absolute novice, this could have been quite difficult.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

Smile

Check it out
Attached Thumbnails Stangas - QAV250 Racing Quad-image.jpg  
Old 07-20-2015, 04:51 PM
Tech Addict

And another
Attached Thumbnails Stangas - QAV250 Racing Quad-image.jpg  
Old 07-21-2015, 09:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Build looking good, glad to hear you got everything figured out.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:46 PM
Tech Addict

yeah it was quite easy, and if I was to build another it would go together in only hours

As for the batteries, I found someone local with some, so should be in the mail when I get home from work tonight.

Looking forward to the maiden voyage
Old 07-23-2015, 04:21 AM
Tech Addict

Had the maiden voyage today..

I think I have some practice to do.. broke 6 props in 25mins.. LOL
The first prop was within 10 seconds of take off as it swung around and clipped a limestone block. One was a full blown crash. The other was landing in a small shrub.

Got a feeling the props were pretty cheaply made, so gonna look around for some original GEMFAN props. And lots of em. Once I stop hitting things I will head down the carbon fibre path.

As for the operations.. I am looking at fine tuning tips on google tonight while at work.. It is all working, but either I am too new to this flying thing or there is some balance stuff that I need to take into consideration.

I moved the battery around to try and get a central COG using very technical methods.. lol.. two fingers at about the centre and see which way it swings.

One other problem, again probably just me, but it takes almost full throttle to get it off the ground.. then the slightest back off of throttle and it plummets to the ground.

All part of the reason for buying and building this little one. It has been a great experience so far with the research that has gone into it.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Tech Addict

Ok.. good googling results..

It seems that I have designated an analogue dial for the flight mode selector instead of a switch.

So I need to, in my radio, reallocate channel 5 to a toggle switch. My radio only has 2 position toggle switches, so I need to change the flight mode choices to only 2 options.. I think I will stick with just the 2 already designated stabilized options for now.

This should at least calm the thing down.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:23 PM
Tech Addict

My nephew has the same controller like you have (flysky T6) and it doesn't have three position toggle switch for the 3 setting flight mode so I program it to 2 flight mode. His having real fun with the 250mm racing quadcopter I gave him. Meanwhile, I'm learning to fly facing forward and I'm getting the hang of it but one thing for sure learning it from a small micro quad is very forgiving lol, I've crashed my 330mm quadcopter multiple times and got stuck up in the tree 30 feet high lol.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:51 AM
Tech Addict

you must be on great uncle.. good stuff

Now that I have got it flying, I am now looking at the FPV.. got it here at work tonight to try and figure it out.

I have wired it all up the way I thought it should be wired.

I have the RC832 receiver and the TS5823 Transmitter modules.

I have wired the red to the 12V+ on the distribution board, the black to the 12V- on the dist board. Same with the camera which has 12V written on the back of the casing. Then joined the yellow from the transmitter module to the camera.

The RC832 has got lights on and it is switching between modes and channels.
The monitor is working.. but cant get a signal through.

The only thing I can think of is the transmitter module has dip switches on it and I didn't touch them?

Time to play
Old 07-25-2015, 05:56 AM
Tech Addict

yup.. dip switches.

had em all back to front.. lol

Its working great, with great clarity of the video.

Cant wait to get home tomorrow morning and try it out in anger on the paddock across the road.

First test is distance checks
Old 08-15-2015, 05:51 PM
Tech Addict

well after ditching this thing in a tree, i have decided to take it a bit slower

I have never flown a plane before, so very inexperienced with a stick controller.

So took off all the camera stuff to give me less stuff to break until i get the hang of it.

I am up to 4 batteries in a row, just hovering. Getting the hang..
Off to the very large park today to try and move it around two traffic cones

Very stable tho... this machine.

Is there a way of changing the throttle curve and make it a bit more relaxed?
To hover there is very minute changes in throttle to make it move either up ir down (not too much).. can never really make it still... This might even be called normal... LOL
Old 08-28-2015, 04:00 AM
Tech Addict

lol.. had my first mid air disaster.

I think an esc went mid flight and lost 1 fan, which made the thing veer off to one side and keep going.. when it failed, all my visual LEDs flashed on and off. Lost all radio communication and off it went, flying into the distance.

Face book found it at the local skate park.. LOL
Thank goodness it didn't hit someone..

But.. I think it went either in a deep puddle or into the small creek

The CC3D has moisture inside.. all 4 esc smell.. the motors seem ok. I assume the radio rx might have failed also..

So might be investigating a different flight card.. maybe something with GPS this time. Also upgrading to Spektrum radio.. DX6i
Old 09-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

well this flying game is getting expensive.

i have used simulators, i have played with micros and now playing with a 250 sized quad.

I am still unable to ensure a safe flight. I think that 1 in every 2 flights ends in some form of failure. Be it wind, esc failure, fan failure, trees.. i have lost the 250, 3 times now. Luckily it was retrieved, but each time come with a cost of repairs.

Just last night my blade nano is stuck in a tree after a slight wind picked it up and threw it at the tree.. my missus is standing next to me saying 'why did you aim at the tree' LOL

I am rebuilding this 250 one last time and if it fails again i feel this will be my trial of aircraft complete and focus back on my 1/8th offroad buggies... which incidentally i drove for 5 complete batteries without a single problem

I am not bagging the sport, but just making the conclusion that it will be expensive to get good at flying these things, and maybe i am just not up to it.

I can hover and move it around, but as soon as i try and bank turn the thing, i lose control of it and I make it do stupid things and either hit the ground or send it away and normally fail to retrieve it.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:09 AM
Tech Addict

I did the transition from land rc to flying rc early this year March to be exact, and my first purchase was a rtf 250mm racing quadcopter from china but I didn't fly it right away, instead I got a small micro quads to learn and my first one was a syma x5c, that only took one flight and stuck up in the tree and still up in the tree now, 2nd one was a aviator similar to latrax alias did 3 flights and that one owned by a tree lol, then decided to get a 2nd aviator quadcopter did get better in flying but still get disoriented and landed inside school campus with 12ft fence (Flying It at night) so no way I can get it and decided to wait in the day time when it open so I can grab it but before even sunrise someone got it before I did After all that loses I went and open up my 250mm racing quadcopter, got some confident to fly, everything went well until you miscalculated the distance and up goes the tree lol, got it retrieved though with just broken props. After that incident I went ahead buy another quad, micro quadcopter for indoor flying, very fun little quad take lots of abuse and you constantly change props (always good to have extra spare props). One night flew it outside got a little crazy flying and landed on my neighbor's backyard pool. (are you counting how many quads I've gone so far?) Still not quitting, got another 2x micro quads to get better at flying and at the same time building 330mm quadcopter as well as 250mm racing quadcopter. Both my micro quads are still going strong indoor and outdoor flight without getting caught up in the tree lol.
I have to say that with all my loses and waste of money I still enjoy this hobby and not going back to land rc.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:22 AM
Tech Addict

LOL... your right... you have made me feel better

I will continue with this quad as I have already ordered all the parts required, and don't get me wrong, I do really enjoy it. Just getting a bit frustrated I suppose.

I have all the gear now and heaps of props, so I will take it to a bigger park from now on until I get the hang of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.