Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
TRANSFORMING VTOL EDF JET DRONE (VARITECH) – ROBOTECH PROJECT >

TRANSFORMING VTOL EDF JET DRONE (VARITECH) – ROBOTECH PROJECT

TRANSFORMING VTOL EDF JET DRONE (VARITECH) – ROBOTECH PROJECT

Old 08-25-2016, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

I broke my rule and tried multiple things together. Servo change along with aerodynamic changes. As a result, it took me a while to pinpoint the problems. Finally, figured it out and had a good flight.

The fact is that the elevator/rudder combination on the legs didn’t sit well. Because of the nozzle design, they got into the airflow and disturbed smooth operation or the nozzles. Also, the servos turned out to be more responsive than the old ones, which caused me having to operate with the lowest P value in the history of Monos.

Now, since I need the elevators and the rudders in horizontal flight, I will need to come up with a solution which will not disturb vertical flight.

Below is the first long flight. Considering that there have been some major aerodynamic additions, it is very good. I felt very comfortable and did a couple of small loops around the park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuzY4C_8qrM

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

This is the first flight that I tested the transition. 25-30% into the transition, the unit started to lose balance. I think the reason is the lack of tail input. So, I had to find a better design for the tail wings, which will not disturb the horizontal flight by disturbing the nozzle air flow. This will be tested next.

My other observation was that the unit speeds up very quickly during transition. So, I hoping to be able to control it at a distance that I can see it, when the aerodynamics are suitable for the transition.

The flight was pretty good, towards the end I had a little fun, and got some flight close-ups. Vertical flight is very stable and fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5wt...ature=youtu.be

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

The new face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHi_xntXzLE

+ YouTube Video
Old 09-02-2016, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

I am working on tuning the FC for horizontal flight and finding the right design for the rudder/elevator combination which will not interfere with the nozzle air flow and disturb the vertical flight. I will keep on posting the improvements.

A good flight with the new head. I really liked the looks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nEbQf5KCkg

+ YouTube Video
Old 09-04-2016, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

At this point, where I am dealing with all kinds of problems from servo alignment to resonance, I am judging myself for trying to achieve this hard task one more time.

As opposed to 1 design which I was able to successfully take to horizontal flight and back, I had 5 or 6 different designs that were not successful. And I may be on the route to another failure with this one. Well, at least I made a humanoid fly vertically and can live with not being able to convert into a flying jet…

I am learning a lot with this though. For example, the design didn’t like me to make the servo connections sturdier and whole structure was caught in a resonance shake in the air. So, a flexible aluminum sheet bracket is holding the servos, which got rid of that.

I tested many designs for the rudder/elevator and came up with the correct design which doesn’t disturb the horizontal flight. I also changed the canopy to a smaller version that I really liked… Pics attached.

One problem that I don’t have a solution for yet is that while transitioning, the yaw response is horrible. The unit is barely responding to full stick input. I had this problem with my first unit that I kicked the project off with, which utilized a similar thrust vectoring design. I believe the response will start coming back when it gets closer to horizontal, but then I need to keep the unit straight until I get the yaw response back. Will it still be in sight???

I also need to raise the center of lateral resistance, based on the response that I am getting from the unit…

Very tough project. Hope I don’t end up collecting debris from the field one more time.
Attached Thumbnails -20160904_180626.jpg   -20160904_180545.jpg   -20160904_180539.jpg  
Old 05-12-2018, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

The new generation prototype that I will build on. I found this to be a very responsive and successful setup. Hopefully some amazing new units will emerge from this concept.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

It’s alive My own little Varitech lives & flies!

Parts from a plastic kit of my favorite fighter Jet of all times F-14 Tomcat was merged with my flying robot. There is still work to do, as I attached the wings and parts with tape and stuff just to test the aerodynamics. I was pretty sure that it would immediately go head down and crash with all the extra surfaces which will interfere with the balance of the unit. But it didn’t.

I got out half a sleep first thing in the morning to do a test before the winds picked up. I couldn’t catch the really calm hours but it was calm enough to test. The plastic parts added some weight and the unit has never been this heavy before.

It flew beautifully. The handling was almost like the additional surfaces has not been added, which means that the additional surfaces are very well balanced. Before the additions the unit was a little too eager to tilt and required me to intervene and correct. I was hoping that the wings would fix that but it didn’t. So, I will need do work on that. I got sun blinded and even made contact with the unit towards the end of the test.

For this 35mm unit, I install everything permanently and do everything that I can to make it look real. I want to try some weathering, too.

This means that the next step is to build a unit that can walk AND transition to a Jet!

Old 05-15-2018, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

Here is a much better flight video with some higher speed passes. It’s surprisingly stable when I tilt it for fast forward flight. It holds the angle and speeds up nicely. I want to fly more and understand the flight dynamics better. I broke the canopy in today’s first attempt, where I the genius launched it without activating the accelerometers!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxUtZBXFOr8
Old 05-03-2020, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

I have been testing my Autonomous ArduPilot + Arduino hybrid control system with different frames and setups. I had many failures and totaled a number of units.

I think I finally found the correct frame and setup. This is the “very careful” maiden of the new setup. A little more tuning is necessary but the unit feels very stable and controllable.

Old 05-08-2020, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

The unit flies good. Testing the GPS and Baro. Some drift but overall good.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Very impressed I wish I had it in me to design something I have no patience. It’s amazing how you write the programming as well