Mono-Phan "Twin" Technology: Virtuoso of Thrust

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mono-Phan "Twin" Technology: Virtuoso of Thrust

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 10:41 PM
Tech Regular

Awesome power of Genace 70c lipo! OMG! Does it ever lose any power until the last minute??? NO! You pay double, you get triple. AND THIS IS A CAR BATTERY WITH HARDCASE!!!! What else could I want? It doesn’t get damaged! Forgive my excitement on this. But I have been spending hundreds of dollars for the right battery and I finally found it.

Before this flight I had a couple of crashes. At first, I didn't get what was going on. Then I realized that one of the ESC was giving in due to heat during the flight, and reducing the power to protect itself, which was causing the unit to lose balance and crash. Increasing the KV ratings of the motors and extreme heat over 100 degrees didn't help. So, I pulled off the many years old simple and bulky hobby king ESCs from one of my old units. These ESCs cannot even be throttle calibrated but they sure did the job. They got a little too hot but I have some experience and ideas to resolve that. Installed aluminum homemade heat sinks on the ESCs and they worked very well. This flight is over 5 minutes. The theoretical flight time of the unit is 6 minutes. So, I should land between 5 to 5 and a half minutes.
I also installed a small cam with a 1 axis servo gimbal. At the end of the video there a couple of pieces of aerial video.

I consider this mission accomplished

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6IRmCQvR8U

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:30 PM
Tech Regular

This unit looks badass in the air. Almost scary. I think it is because of its potential. It is VERY responsive. Vectoring the fans instead of using nozzles improved the responsiveness compared to my older twin units. I cut the flight short because I realized the fans fluttered a little. I am looking forward to the day that the tuning is complete and I will fly this beast at its limits…

Meanwhile working on the wing with the carbon reinforcement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNJfRfLzz0A
Attached Thumbnails Mono-Phan "Twin" Technology: Virtuoso of Thrust-20180128_145135.jpg   Mono-Phan "Twin" Technology: Virtuoso of Thrust-20180128_145141.jpg  
Old 05-05-2018, 04:56 PM
Tech Regular

#DuoPhan35 #MonoPhan #MonoModule #TriPhan #ThrustVectoring

It took me 7 broken impellers, 1 broken fan, 1 broken servo, tens of tests & crashes, unbelievable amount of frustration and tens of different tunings to get this beauty to fly. It was worth all after flying it!!! It flies like nothing else. I don’t think there is wind that it cannot beat despite its size, except a storm or something I am just touching the sticks for it to go as fast as does in the video!!!

Old 05-13-2018, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

It’s alive My own little Varitech lives & flies!

Parts from a plastic kit of my favorite fighter Jet of all times F-14 Tomcat was merged with my flying robot. There is still work to do, as I attached the wings and parts with tape and stuff just to test the aerodynamics. I was pretty sure that it would immediately go head down and crash with all the extra surfaces which will interfere with the balance of the unit. But it didn’t.

I got out half a sleep first thing in the morning to do a test before the winds picked up. I couldn’t catch the really calm hours but it was calm enough to test. The plastic parts added some weight and the unit has never been this heavy before.

It flew beautifully. The handling was almost like the additional surfaces has not been added, which means that the additional surfaces are very well balanced. Before the additions the unit was a little too eager to tilt and required me to intervene and correct. I was hoping that the wings would fix that but it didn’t. So, I will need do work on that. I got sun blinded and even made contact with the unit towards the end of the test.

For this 35mm unit, I install everything permanently and do everything that I can to make it look real. I want to try some weathering, too.

This means that the next step is to build a unit that can walk AND transition to a Jet!