Search

UMX Radian from E-flite

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 01:08 AM
Tech Addict

That is awesome! lol
Old 05-15-2014, 11:11 PM
Tech Addict

This video centers around me nearly losing my new Ultra Micro Radian RC plane last night on a bright and sunny evening. While it was missing from my sight for what seemed like forever, in that helpless span of time I decided I needed to ensure this wasn't going to happen again with my next plane since this one was likely gone forever.

Thankfully, I was able to regain sight with it after spinning circles for a bit. What you will find in this video are a few ideas I applied literally to the surfaces of this RC Plane.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GBLynden
That is awesome! lol
Is it still awesome? LOL I see you had the same exact experience as I did! hahahaha I already had the black stripes on my plane and still had problems. LOL I think I'm going to paint the rudder and elevator control surfaces black on both sides. Hopefully that will help some.

It gets small real quick. Side note, I lost one of the props and had to order a new set. I missed the plane having to wait for the parts. LOL I flew it yesterday in some heavy wind. I'd guess 15+ with 25 gusts. It could barely keep moving forward at wot. hahaha

Last edited by GregH; 05-16-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:04 AM
Tech Elite

Forgot to mention, I picked up the UMX Radian's big brother yesterday. Had it in the air within a few minutes. Flies good but I think I'm going to do the mods to it that Paul Naton points out in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5dQVqPivXY
Old 05-22-2014, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

I find myself going after the little Radian most of the time. It flies so good that I use trees and other stuff to make a course of sorts to fly around. It's fun to let it float a foot off the ground and just cruise around.

I did the mods to the big Radian and it flies funny now. It doesn't want to fly level. No matter what I do to trim it, it will either climb or dive depending on the speed it's going.Fast, it climbs, slow it dives. Back to the drawing board. LOL
Old 05-26-2014, 03:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by GregH
I find myself going after the little Radian most of the time. It flies so good that I use trees and other stuff to make a course of sorts to fly around. It's fun to let it float a foot off the ground and just cruise around.

I did the mods to the big Radian and it flies funny now. It doesn't want to fly level. No matter what I do to trim it, it will either climb or dive depending on the speed it's going.Fast, it climbs, slow it dives. Back to the drawing board. LOL
Oh man! That is horrible. That is why I tinker with my planes as little as possible. I almost started heading down the "I have to mod everything" path early on once I learned to fly decent. What stopped it in its tracks was a mod that was suggest to me about my UM T-28. It pretty much just said to use some carbon fiber on the main wing to make it handle wind better and be stronger in case of a crash. The problem was that it made it fly like garbage and almost caused me to crash! I was able to remove it and never looked back

Back to the UMX Radian. This is the highest I have taken my UMX Radian on video (I am guessing at least 500 plus feet) and I decided to keep the video shown below pretty raw. It includes some pretty funny parts that show the interaction between my camera woman and myself:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

I tried the mods on the big Radian that Paul Naton did but I didn't quite do them all. LOL I'm going to make the changes to put it back to where it was at new. It flew just fine out of the box. I figured it would make it better being the way he talked and it probably does to someone that flies gliders in competition. I didn't do anything that can't be changed back to stock so it should fly good when finished. Need to do some nose repairs after a few vertical drops to the ground.

As for the small umx Radian, I flew that today at a friend's place. He has some huge trees and I was a little skeptical about flying around there but I sent it up anyway. Nothing bad came of it. The kids loved it. I'd dive down at them and pull back a few feet over their heads and they'd all scream. I heard one mom say "it scared the $hit out of me" then I glided in slow and smooth, dipped in fast, flared it off hard at the last minute and caught it with my left hand. The parent were like %$#@*(^*%#$!(# did you just see that? LOL It was fun.....
Old 09-22-2014, 12:22 AM
Tech Addict

I tried the mods on the big Radian that Paul Naton did but I didn't quite do them all. LOL I'm going to make the changes to put it back to where it was at new. It flew just fine out of the box. I figured it would make it better being the way he talked and it probably does to someone that flies gliders in competition. I didn't do anything that can't be changed back to stock so it should fly good when finished. Need to do some nose repairs after a few vertical drops to the ground.

As for the small umx Radian, I flew that today at a friend's place. He has some huge trees and I was a little skeptical about flying around there but I sent it up anyway. Nothing bad came of it. The kids loved it. I'd dive down at them and pull back a few feet over their heads and they'd all scream. I heard one mom say "it scared the $hit out of me" then I glided in slow and smooth, dipped in fast, flared it off hard at the last minute and caught it with my left hand. The parent were like %$#@*(^*%#$!(# did you just see that? LOL It was fun.....
That does sound like a lot of fun!

This is the first "Flight and glide" video I have made post-crash with my Ultra Micro Radian onto my neighbor's roof. The cause is unknown, but after I crashed my UMX Pitts, on video the cause seemed similar. I put fresh batteries in my DX6i and I haven't had a problem since with any of my planes.

+ YouTube Video
Old 10-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

I picked up another umx Radian the other day. wore the first one out. LOL
Old 10-24-2014, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Gotta love the QC at HH. The UMX Radian I got had a bad elevator servo right out of the box. Can't even fly it. Have to wait for the LHS to get another one in.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:08 PM
Tech Addict

Gotta love the QC at HH. The UMX Radian I got had a bad elevator servo right out of the box. Can't even fly it. Have to wait for the LHS to get another one in.
Man, their QC has been garbage lately. I am sorry to hear that man
Old 10-29-2014, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

I hear ya. The umx Radian is my go to favorite plane. It goes everywhere with me. LOL The thing just flies great and is extremely predictable to fly.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Did you get it all worked out with HH?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:00 AM
Tech Elite

I did. However, the plane flies great but the motor will lock up or stick. So when you hit the throttle while gliding, it doesn't come on, it just hums. Then once it lands (or crashes) it works fine again. If I jog the throttle a bunch, it will kick in. So, yeah, I got a completely new kit and this one has a issue as well. I'm not even going to send it in. I have a few motors and esc's laying around that will work if I decide to mess with it.

Even with the problems, it's one of the easiest and predictable planes to fly. I fly around a bunch of trees and use them as a obstetrical course! Fly 2ft off the ground and go under and out around all the canopies. Just crazy stuff. I tell my customers (I own a lawn care company) that when I die, I'll still be 17 years old. LOL
Old 11-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

Hahaha! I will get that age as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.