Wiki Posts
Search

1st Plane.....Sweet!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Thumbs up 1st Plane.....Sweet!

Ive been bashin trucks and buggies for ahwile now. Owned a few boats and a Blade Micro heli. But I decieded to pick up a Champ RTF plane at the hobby shop and all I have to say ... "SWEET" I was only able to do a few circles and worked on perfecting my landing today after attemping to get the trim right. But I can see these things takin over. There so much fun. My LHS owners been telling me forever to get a plane. Shoulda listened! But any helpful tips for a newbie? I understand the basic parts and thats about it.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default more practice

Especially with the smaller planes, don't fly in wind! After lots of practice I can fly in some wind but as a noobie it was hard to learn with the wind throwing you around. With any rc I feel the reactions have to be second nature. Once your brain can react correctly to a plane or helis movements in the air you'll have a lot more fun. Practice, practice, practice.

Last edited by ChrisPfligler; 11-09-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Cool

A better transmitter in ur hands hanging from a lanyard makes it really nice. If you think ur gunna get more planes get a dx6i... besides that practice slow flying, practise coming in for landings on power. Just get ur orientation down and once ur pretty comfortable step it up to a plane with alerons. The pole cat is a great next step or even more stable is the micro t28, but u sacrifice a lil speed and agility. After that a great next step is a full size parkzone t28. So stable and ez to fly and land. Just keep flying as much as possible and do yourself a favor and pick up a dx6i..
Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

in my opinion get the transmitter once so you dont have to get a better one later.
when i first started flying a member of the local club took me to a hobby shop i was drooling over a biplane there i so wanted that bad boy. he handed me a parkzone super cub and a sim to purchase. his words will never leave my memory "buy this. every time you crash and hit the reset button, throw a dollar in a jar, when you have enough to buy a sig kadet, a real transmitter and the power equipment, then you fly the kadet"

when you get hungry for more, look for a trainer type "sig kadet" "nexstar" type dihedral aileron trainer
Old 11-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (98%+)
Default champ

bro the champ is awesome i got one too. it is a super fun beginner rc airplane. the best 70 bucks i spent yet. are you gonna move up in skill after it? just asking because i know your big into rc cars and trucks. anyway keep flying brother because it is great on the daily stress.

Cheers!
Old 11-20-2011, 03:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

just wait untill you get bitten by the speed bug then the addiction begins
Old 11-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

I had a champ. I used both my bf dx7 and the stock radio and let just say the stock radio has no range. I flew the champ out like I do with all my planes it didn't loose range till I used the stock radio. You should get a better radio. Personally I would get a DX7 Love mine. They don't sell dx7 any longer cause of a disagreement between spektrem and JR. But they are coming out with a dx7s. If you want a good TX go online and find a used dx7 or get the dx8. Some planes you want atleast a 7 channel. As for the wind, it will fly in some wind. People new to flying won't be able to handle the wind. I have been flying 3 years so I fly in the wind. I will 3D in wind. Just now learning to 3D took me less than a month to learn to hover. There are guys who have been flying 30+ years who refuse to fly in the wind. I say if you want to be able to fly in 15+ mph wind then start early after you have gotten down the controls really good. My bf father taught him at age 9 to fly in all kinds of conditions. Today me and my bf fly in wind, rain, and on cloudy days.

I have to say that I started out on an elctro stick(aka big stick) on the BB. Here is a link for the one I started out on but it was electric not glow http://secure.hobbyzone.com/GPMA1221.html. I have been flying bolser planes before I even flew a micro. I love foamies and micros better than I do bolser planes.

Here is a video of me flying in some wind yesterday. My first day of flying low doing some 3D without the BB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...6oHAKCFc#at=23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=9YPKjLlAXiA

Last edited by epoweredrcgirl; 11-21-2011 at 11:37 AM.