What is needed for a R/C Airport.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is needed for a R/C Airport.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? What is needed for a R/C Airport.

Hello all,

First let me apologize if this is the wrong section but I'm trying to reach out to as many RC hobbyists that I can.

Do to there the great interest in RC in the town I live in, and really no facilities (that i know of) close to go to. I am going to propose to the land owners of a large plot of land used for special events that they allow a RC track to be built. Currently I know of a few people who fly RC planes and helicopters from this plot of land already but there is no landing strip.

In the design plans I want to make the RC track a multiple function track. This will include a paved oval, dirt oval, dirt short track, and with my intentions one side of the oval would double as a drag strip/ runway.

My question to the R/C aircraft operators is how wide and long does the runway need to be. Currently everything is based off a 10 foot lane except for the short course which is 8 foot lanes. The "runway" section would allow for approximately 135 feet to land on. Im assuming that 10 foot is not wide enough to land on. So I was originally thinking that 20 foot would be enough. After further research I am not sure that 20 foot would be enough either. So what is your opinion?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

I guess how wide and how long depends on who's flying what.
The "former" local field is 175' wide by 450' long. It cost about 50k to pave it IIRC. Start collecting club dues. Sometimes local hobbyshops can offer support, as a field of that type can be used to promote business.
Good luck.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Safe covered pit area, runway, grassy areas for belly landing, gate to protect vehicles, pit board, designated flying boxes, wind flags in front and behind of flying boxes, rule board, power for charging, trash cans...