Wiki Posts
Search

Looking to Buy 1st Helicopter!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Looking to Buy 1st Helicopter!

Hi guys so I have narrowed down my choice of helicopter to the following…

- Exceed 2.4Ghz WarHawk 300 4-Channel Helicopter RTF Co-Axial AirWolf-

- Exceed 2.4Ghz Falcon 40 V2 4-Channel RC Helicopter RTF Fixed Pitch

- Double Horse 26" 9053 3 Channel Volitation Metal RC Helicopter w/Gyro

Has anyone flown any of these?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Sorry, not familiar with those.
If you do decide on a co-ax heli, get a small one to fly in your living room or large room to learn orientation and basic controls. Then you can move to a larger fixed pitch or collective pitch heli and learn inverted with the CP heli later.
Hovering is the easy part with the co-ax. The fixed pitch will teach you all basic flight characteristics, but you'll be moving a lot faster. If you just want to skip the fixed pitch heli, then go to a Collective heli and set the pitch to less extreme settings so you don't go crazy with it's quick lift abilities and panic when it drifts away too fast. Those heli's you mentioned sound like they are from xheli.com. FYI, buyer beware of that place! You're better off with support from Horizon brands like the Blade lineup or even look on clubheli.com for your first co-ax heli you can fly in your house without dealing with wind. This way, you can practice anytime you want indoors.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Ran across this post. Just wanted to say that I have a hardly flown Blade cx2 with original box, directions, spare blades, 2 lipos charger and everything for $125 shipped. If I posted in wrong place, please forgive me. Still new to this board.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Private message the OP.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you have been on a flight sim, get the Falcon 40. Great little fp heli. Not bad if you have your basic flight controls down. Stable as well, but not as stable as the other you mentioned. The Falcon 40 will let you grow a little more and then progress straight to a cp heli if you wanted.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

First time flying, huh?

I highly recommend that you invest in a software-based flight sim, like Real Flight G5. Get used to the fact that helis do not fly like planes: everything requires power when maneuvering a helicopter. Real Flight G5 will come with a control unit the simulates a real r/c control unit. Additionally, you can sync your favorite controller into the system so that you can adjust you controls to your liking.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Get something you can get parts for easily, eflite products are great..mcx,mcx2,msr,sr120,cx2,cx3 all suitable for begineers. coax's more than the fixed pitch. Also remember to get something you can find batteries for easily. Align is coming out with a trex100fp which should be interesting.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

I bought my first helicopter two weeks ago-a used MCX2. I've never flown before but with a little practice I'm hovering and flying around the room, it's a blast! Get a couple of batteries so you have more flight time.
I tried the software at the store but nothing beats actually flying.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Perry
Get something you can get parts for easily, eflite products are great..mcx,mcx2,msr,sr120,cx2,cx3 all suitable for begineers. coax's more than the fixed pitch. Also remember to get something you can find batteries for easily. Align is coming out with a trex100fp which should be interesting.
Big +1 here! I have all those helis minus the original mcx. They are really easy to get parts for at a local hobby shop. People are selling them all the time so you can find them cheap all over the RC forums out there. I looked at the cheaper helis from brands other than Blade and it's really not worth it. Not saying they aren't good helis, but Blade helis for beginners and Align helis for advanced fliers is really the best way to go. Since they're so popular, the parts are easy to find, mods are all over the internet, very easy to resell, etc. I looked at Walkera but decided to go with Blade for all the reasons I mentioned above.

Also, Blade helis use DSM2 technology and come in a BNF option (just the heli with no radio). If you ever get a Spektrum computer radio to fly them, you'll be able to resell that easily as well. It's much harder to sell a Walkera radio. Yet another reason for my choice.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tasop7
Big +1 here! I have all those helis minus the original mcx. They are really easy to get parts for at a local hobby shop. People are selling them all the time so you can find them cheap all over the RC forums out there. I looked at the cheaper helis from brands other than Blade and it's really not worth it. Not saying they aren't good helis, but Blade helis for beginners and Align helis for advanced fliers is really the best way to go. Since they're so popular, the parts are easy to find, mods are all over the internet, very easy to resell, etc. I looked at Walkera but decided to go with Blade for all the reasons I mentioned above.

Also, Blade helis use DSM2 technology and come in a BNF option (just the heli with no radio). If you ever get a Spektrum computer radio to fly them, you'll be able to resell that easily as well. It's much harder to sell a Walkera radio. Yet another reason for my choice.

Just my 2 cents.
thats all that needs to be said!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tasop7

Just my 2 cents.
MCX2 all the way. Easy to fly yet still fun after you get the basics. This is a indoor heli unless it is reallyyyy calm out.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Go Blade...

Just to add to much of waht eveyone else has said the blade is the best. I have the blade cx, mcx, mcx s300, cx3, Esky hunter (like this one also, but its an internet company so part have to be order via the net) and Novus FP and last the Esky Honey Bee 2 which is a single rotor. All great little heli's but nothing again beats the Blade line up.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I have a cheap starter RTF heli...check my thread
Old 07-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Tech Rookie

I have the blade CX3 which is similar to the CX2. if you want it then just check my thread. im selling it for $100 RTR with extras
Old 07-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Tech Rookie

dont buy any of those on your list because your gonna crash (everyone does) and getting parts is gonna suck if you wanna go the cheap route get a eflight heli . like a cx2 or a sr or a 450 id say get the cx2 first

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.