Wiki Posts
Search

Beginner fliying noobie ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Beginner fliying noobie ?'s

Hey, Ive been into r/c for sometime now and I've started to dabble into the flying part of r/c. I have 2 parkzone planes. I have a J3 cub brushed, and a P51 brushed planes. I started flying the cub and ive gotten the hang of it for the most part. I can hand lauch fly around and land it for the most part. And even when the battery cut out is hit i can bring it down for a safe landing. I like flying that plane and i want to get totally comfortable with that first before I go to my P51 with no rudder and with alerions and elvator.

Ive been out looking for info and such. Im not sure if rctech is a good site for flight r/c But Im looking for mods or tips or tricks with the parkzone planes. Ive upgraded the prop on the cub with a 9x7 with 7 pitch. Im looking for just alittle more speed out of it and a longer runtime. It has 600mah 2/3aa batteries and they are old. The replacement is alittle pricy at 28 bux. The only cell version i found with more capacity is 700 at 2/3aa size.

Reason being is that I live in maryland. And we tipically get alot of semi windy days. Around 5-10mph and i flew in that for my 2nd time and I could fly it but had to get the air speed up before making a turn so it wouldnt stall. Or i had to ride it out flat till the gust was gone. I just want a little more power out of it so i can fly thew the wind.

I dont know how powerfull the stock motor is thats in it but its a 370 size motor i belive. I have some same size motors lying around from my micro racing days(robotronics scapel). I just put that motor on there and it seems more powerfull that the orginal one. ill test it out this weekend to see if it is.

Any help for this flying noobie would be great.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

sounds like u need to set the cub with brushless motor and speedo. run a lipo also. depending on the motor and speedo, u could go to a 3s lipo. 2s is probably enough depending on the size of the plane. anything over about 15 mile wind is too much for the small planes even though a trainer high wing can take it, speed isn't really an option as their is more fight from a gas engine. i've flown 42" planes in the wind and its just too much for them. my old eagle trainer has a 60" span with a super tiger 46 engine and its like slow motion against the wind. i very seldom try doing what u r. not worth the hasle. it is cool cutting the engine to low and just gliding in the wind and then turn and gas it, its like a bullet. i prefer no more than 10 mile an hour wind to fly to make it enjoyable. check with hobbypartz.com for a setup at a reasonable price. that is where i got my setup for my decatlon that is supposed to have no bigger than i think a 10 engine in.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Thanx for the help. But I already did my homework and bought a E-flite apprentice awhile back and have been flying that well. Havent had to many issues with it other than my stupidity lol. But I feel confident with that So I ordered a T-34 mentor and waiting on that to get here.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

the T-34 is a very nice flyer for a foamy. few guys at our field have them. they are running a slightly bigger battery in them also. the run time is some where around 20-25 minutes but they don't have it full throttle all the time...
Old 04-21-2011, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GASSPRINT1
the T-34 is a very nice flyer for a foamy. few guys at our field have them. they are running a slightly bigger battery in them also. the run time is some where around 20-25 minutes but they don't have it full throttle all the time...
its not foam its balsa. Im trying to stay away from foam unless its heavy. Foam planes don't like wind. And sometimes its windy here. Not like crazy wind just a little more wind than what a foammy can take.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You might want to consider a mid wing 40 or 60 size nitro plane like the Kaos by Great Planes before you fly the P-51. A mid wing plane will give you more manuverability, & will carry more speed on landings. This will prepare you well for the P-51, which is a low winger & will carry even more manuverability & speed
Old 05-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You might want to consider a mid wing 40 or 60 size nitro plane like the Kaos by Great Planes before you fly the P-51. A mid wing plane will give you more manuverability, & will carry more speed on landings. This will prepare you well for the P-51, which is a low winger & will carry even more manuverability & speed than your piper cub.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

yea i got the T-34 mentor up and the air and its alot of fun. I took the flaps off and locked them at 0 and flew it for awhile till i got comfortable. Then i took off the droops and I am flying it very well. I can fly it upside down a little. I have installed a servo for flaps for take off's and landings.

This plane is alot of fun.

I just ordered a 4s for it