Wiki Posts
Search

How does a trainer cord work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default How does a trainer cord work?

I'd like to teach my dad to fly my minimag rc plane. I have a famous 4ch transmitter (from a crashed ebay plane) that has a trainer port (looks like a headphone jack). My tx for my minimag has the same port on it but it's labelled as a "SIC" port. Can they be used together? And what type of cable do I need? Is it just a double sided headphone jack (aux cable)? And how do trainer setups even work? Do you need 2 sets of crystals? Does the "trainer" TX override the "trainee" one? Thanks for the help!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

How does a trainer system work?
A trainer system is a special cord which connects 2 compatible radios together, with the experienced pilot having the ability to hold a switch or button which then lets the student take control. When the student gets in trouble or has had enough, the instructor lets go of the switch and has immediate control of the aircraft. Using this training approach, thousands of pilots have learned to fly with minimal or no crash damage to their trainer models.

Both radios have to be able to control the plane, so yes the buddy radio has to have compatible crystals. I've seen some rules about transmit modes between the two radios as well, but you're going to have to establish if these are even compatible first before worrying about that. Google search on trainer compatible radios brings up a lot of info, so there info available.Try searching for your two specific radios.

Maybe best to just try it on the ground and see both systems can successfully control the plane?