Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
Going between Blade SR and super cub >

Going between Blade SR and super cub

Going between Blade SR and super cub

Old 07-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Going between Blade SR and super cub

Just can't figure out which one I would like to get. I have never flown a plane, but have done the simulated ones on the computers more times then I can count. I currently have a blade cx2 that I can comfortably fly. Looking for some to take outside, the blade cx2 is horrible outside even with the slightest breeze. Any thoughts? What do you guys prefer?
Old 07-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have a blade SR and I love it. Can fly it outside with a decent breeze with no problems.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I got my son an Esky Big Lama and it flys pretty well in a small breeze.

If you wanted a challenge you could go to FP instead of coaxial.

Something like the HoneyBee FP V2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HXSMURCMXQ

or the new Walkera http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFq8Frs6H78
Old 07-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well they've made some decent improvements to the blade sr over the previous cp series, but they did nothing to address the tail motor setup, which has been the main problem with the blades CPs from the beginning. I still would not recommend one to a relative beginner. I guess it depends on your wallet mostly, but if I were to start over again, and I had started with a CX2, I'd fly it till I could take off and land on a CD case in all orientations with my eyes closed. Then I'd probably go strait from that to a 400, 450, or even 500 sized heli. A larger heli with a belt driven tail (don't care for the torque tubes) is just going to be easier to learn on IMO.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by helibrian
Well they've made some decent improvements to the blade sr over the previous cp series, but they did nothing to address the tail motor setup, which has been the main problem with the blades CPs from the beginning. I still would not recommend one to a relative beginner. I guess it depends on your wallet mostly, but if I were to start over again, and I had started with a CX2, I'd fly it till I could take off and land on a CD case in all orientations with my eyes closed. Then I'd probably go strait from that to a 400, 450, or even 500 sized heli. A larger heli with a belt driven tail (don't care for the torque tubes) is just going to be easier to learn on IMO.
of course your gonna say a heli the sr is nice, I was wondering if the blades were interchangable with that of the corona lite with the folding blades?
Old 07-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by interplanet
of course your gonna say a heli the sr is nice, I was wondering if the blades were interchangable with that of the corona lite with the folding blades?
...oh....errmmm....or that plane thingy someone mentioned.
The LM corona? Naw, besides being fixed pitch, the blades are way too big for a SR and have a reversed grip kinda setup (the root comes directly off the head). It would be cool to have some kind of "fold in every which direction on impact" blades for the SR but I don't see that happening on a CP heli. Hmmmmm.....someone needs to come up with an indestructible CP.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by helibrian
Wow I'm surprised you'd recommend that.

I can fly my son's Big lama coaxial no problem, but as you know a Coaxial flys completed different than FP or CP. While coaxial may be a nice trainer for orientation, that's about it.

With the crash costs and set up time of a CP and can't believe you'd recommend going right from Coaxial to a large CP.

To each there own I guess. I'm enjoying the Honey Bee. I know this forum seems to hate them but it's cheap to fix and easy to set up. So far I've found it to be exactly what a trainer should be.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Wow I'm surprised you'd recommend that.

I can fly my son's Big lama coaxial no problem, but as you know a Coaxial flys completed different than FP or CP. While coaxial may be a nice trainer for orientation, that's about it.
Orientation is a huge HUGE HUGE part of flying a heli, so sure, IF I started out with a cx2 as the OP has, like I said, I'd use it as an orientation training tool.

With the crash costs and set up time of a CP and can't believe you'd recommend going right from Coaxial to a large CP.
I'm guessing you haven't flown a well set up CP. Again, like I said, I guess it depends on your wallet. Anyone that wants to eventually fly a CP heli is going to have to invest time to learn how to set one up, which is the other huge part of flying a heli (unless they've got an on-call mechanic). I could be wrong here, but since the OP is looking at the Blade SR, I imagine a CP is his goal. Of course, there are those that drop out of the hobby or that are satisfied with a FP, CX or whatever, and never advance beyond that, which is fine, but the vast majority of people I've observed that stay with the hobby, wind up with a large CP. But yeah, if that's not the goal, disregard my previous comments.

It would be interesting, although impossible, to see one person's time plus expenses, starting out with a CX (plus repair/maintenance costs), then a FP (plus repair/maintenance costs), then a CP (plus repair/maintenance costs) versus just going straight to a CP (with repair/maintenance costs) and winding up at the same skill level.

To each there own I guess. I'm enjoying the Honey Bee. I know this forum seems to hate them but it's cheap to fix and easy to set up. So far I've found it to be exactly what a trainer should be.
To each their own indeed. That's why I said "If I were to start over again...". As it happened, I started out with CP, so I guess I'm tainted. You're right, everyone's different. Some people will take to it as if it were second nature, others will never get it, and there are those in between.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Honey Bee. I personally don't hate them, but well...I won't go in depth about my thoughts on anything with a motor driven tail as it might come off as offensive, and that's not what I'm about.