Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
370 380 Size Inrunner 3000kv + Suggestions >

370 380 Size Inrunner 3000kv + Suggestions

370 380 Size Inrunner 3000kv + Suggestions

Old 04-12-2010, 04:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 370 380 Size Inrunner 3000kv + Suggestions

I need to find a source for a 360-280 size motor with the following specs.

-26mm diameter at the most. NOT 28mm
-3.17/3.2mm shaft
-Inrunner
-3000+kv

Absolutely no luck thus far. There are soo many small manufacturers in Hong Kong, but I have no idea of where to find something this specific.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Tech Regular

I would check hobby king they have 20-30, 20-40 series inrunners which is
20x30, 20x40mm or eflite 370, 400 series inrunners and great planes ammo inrunners I think they have some 24mm motors
Old 04-13-2010, 07:01 AM
Tech Champion

Yea. I checked hobby king. Nothing would work. I should have mentioned 24mm-26mm diameter. 20mm is just too small.

Cant be over 37mm in length. And I need a 3.17 shaft.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

What are you trying to put it in? There are a couple of motors that fit the bill but they are expensive, your looking for a speed 400 or s400 replacement motor, something like the stryker f27c motor.

like the arc motors from lightflight rc, there is an electifly ammo thats that size and the eflite six series. But there are some 20mm's that with the cooling fins come out to about 26mm.

your best beet for pricewise is a used ammo GPMG5155

Last edited by interplanet; 04-13-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Tech Regular

+ 1 on the ammo 24-33 3180 24x33 3180 kv 3mm shaft.
by the way whats it for? sounds kinda like an edf motor.

Last edited by xl8er; 04-13-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Champion

3.2 shaft so fits normal pinions. 3mm too small.

Its not for a plane or heli, but asked here since you guys deal with these smaller motors. Hoping know of a Hong Kong manufacturer I might have missed.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Novak three-80 micro pro fits all of your criteria. I'm not a big fan of novak though. For my money, an Aon 4900 would be the motor of choice. The k2415-4920 (4.9kv w/2mm shaft) or the k2415-4923 (4.9kv w/2.3mm shaft).

The site lists the k2415-6520 and k2415-6523 as 4.9kv (or 4900kv as the mis-informed say) but they are actually 6.5kv and will run a bit hot. The 4900 series is more than fast enough for any 1/18-1/16 scale car/truck/buggy, and paired with the newer castle ESCs, heat isn't an issue....unless there's something wrong with the car of course.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Tech Champion

The Novak does not run well in sensorless systems.

Aon does not have a 3.2 shaft, and its only 24mm and I had an AON. It ran hot and the bearings failed fast. It also is extremely overpriced for what it is.

Are there any Hong Kong or Taiwan manufacturers you can think of? Been to align, Feriego, HiModel, HobbyKing, I mean most really, but somehow I know there are more out there to search.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:45 AM
Tech Regular

you can try rc castle i dont know if they have what your looking for? i know they have innrunners at ok pricies.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Not sure if I should continue this in this forum but...

Originally Posted by oXYnary
The Novak does not run well in sensorless systems.
I wasn't aware sensorless was on of your requirements. I'll go one further and say novak does not run well in sensored systems either.

Aon does not have a 3.2 shaft,
Not sure why 3.2 shaft is a factor. It seems, any motor available with 2.0 and 2.3mm shaft would allow people to just use the motor appropriate to their application, and use the pinions supplied by their vehicles' manufacturer, rather than having to figure out/find/buy 3.2mm pinions in a 48 pitch, mod 0.6, mod 0.5, etc. A pinion sleeve is also an option if someone really wanted to run 3.2mm pinions.

and its only 24mm
Also not sure why 2mm reduction in dia. is a factor, esp. since you stated "26mm diameter at the most". You should consider power output (wattage and efficiency%) before anything else. Not that I'm trying to sell you on the aon, but I've seen 290+ watts out of an aon 4900 (Thrust series). All you need to make an rc18, for example, go really fast is ~170 watts. Whatever motor you choose, consider wattage first, then, is it too big to fit. Too small a physical size should not be a factor. You'll find several 26mm outrunners available but you'd be hard pressed to find a 26mm inrunner for the fact that ring mounts use a standard of 24mm, not 26. Add to that the 3.2mm shaft stipulation....

I think you're painting yourself into a corner with your choice of specs/limitations. JMO.

and I had an AON. It ran hot and the bearings failed fast.
Sorry to hear you had trouble with your aon. I've had 3 of them for well over 5 years, and only had one issue with one of the endbells (chassis plate slapping, huge air incident), which Steven Chao straightened out for me instantly. Currently, I have 1 in an rc18b (too much power for the lil thing really, but it's fun), one in a vendetta ST (too much power for the detta's crappy drive train), and one in a mini inferno (perfection!). Of course I have heat sinks on all of them (just how I roll), but I've never even come close to having an issue with heat, and never had a bearing failure. But I can understand your individual experience leaving you with a negative view of aon in general.

It also is extremely overpriced for what it is.
What it is, or what it is not? It's not an overly hyped "name brand". Again, not getting commissions from Cermark, and I'm not really a "brand loyalty" kinda guy, but given the choice between an aon, a Mamba (talk about overheating), or a novak (just threw up in my mouth a bit, yuck), of similar price, I'd pick the aon.

Just my 2¢
Old 04-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by helibrian
Not sure if I should continue this in this forum but...

I wasn't aware sensorless was on of your requirements. I'll go one further and say novak does not run well in sensored systems either.
More, that whatever is choosen can work for all. Since there is only one sensored system on the market..

Not sure why 3.2 shaft is a factor. It seems, any motor available with 2.0 and 2.3mm shaft would allow people to just use the motor appropriate to their application, and use the pinions supplied by their vehicles' manufacturer, rather than having to figure out/find/buy 3.2mm pinions in a 48 pitch, mod 0.6, mod 0.5, etc. A pinion sleeve is also an option if someone really wanted to run 3.2mm pinions.
You know where to find some? The last time I looked for those, they were meant for planes, and had an additional area for a locknut versus having a hole in the shaft so the original grub screw could go through and hit the shaft. Anyhow, that additional area made them too long, or would hit motor mounts on some vehicles.

Also not sure why 2mm reduction in dia. is a factor, esp. since you stated "26mm diameter at the most". You should consider power output (wattage and efficiency%) before anything else. Not that I'm trying to sell you on the aon, but I've seen 290+ watts out of an aon 4900 (Thrust series). All you need to make an rc18, for example, go really fast is ~170 watts. Whatever motor you choose, consider wattage first, then, is it too big to fit. Too small a physical size should not be a factor. You'll find several 26mm outrunners available but you'd be hard pressed to find a 26mm inrunner for the fact that ring mounts use a standard of 24mm, not 26. Add to that the 3.2mm shaft stipulation....

I think you're painting yourself into a corner with your choice of specs/limitations. JMO.
I haven't had any other good suggestions. How about this. No matter what it cannot have a 2mm shaft nor be a 20mm motor. Why? Have you driven Vendetta size vehicles? They weigh much more, and in fact come with 380 motors and 2.3 shafts. They also use .6 mod. Mambas DO NOT run will in Vendettas. At least for competitions sake. Look at the Nationals. The past 3 years they have had handout Mamba 20mm motors. Not a one Vendetta has made it in the top three from what I have been aware. We also have had testers come out and show just how underpowered Vendettas are with the Mamba and how they burn out.

3.2 Is much easier for all vehicles to get pinions. Xray=Regular 48 Pitch. Vendetta=Robinson Metric 48 Pitch. Rc18T=Novak .5 mod pinions. All readily available through a LHS.

2.3 Vendetta=Stock. Rc18T=Venom . Xray= none, but there is a .5mod spur available from a Asian company, so Venom.

2. Vendetta= Asian company and has been reported they wear out extremely quickly because of build quality of aluminum. RC18T=Stock, Xray=Stock. Also. 2mm, can bend. Especially in the heavier vehicles.

So as you can see 2mm shaft is the worst choice of all.

Having at least a 24 mm motor would make a middle ground between the two sizes at least from hopefully a torque standpoint. Hell, at this point, I'd look at outrunners. A 28mm motor, Is looking more and more like the only option. The issue is in some vehicles, require modification to get to fit, and changes the balance dramatically left to right/front to rear more than the vehicle was designed for.

Sorry to hear you had trouble with your aon. I've had 3 of them for well over 5 years, and only had one issue with one of the endbells (chassis plate slapping, huge air incident), which Steven Chao straightened out for me instantly. Currently, I have 1 in an rc18b (too much power for the lil thing really, but it's fun), one in a vendetta ST (too much power for the detta's crappy drive train), and one in a mini inferno (perfection!). Of course I have heat sinks on all of them (just how I roll), but I've never even come close to having an issue with heat, and never had a bearing failure. But I can understand your individual experience leaving you with a negative view of aon in general.
Unfortunately, this wasn't just personal experience. Both me and my friend own Thrust series 4900kv. We had different vehicles and different gearing. Both of us had premature bearing failure. Ever had to take the cap off to replace the bearing? For a motor that has no way to do such other than clamping? Not fun. Also, the new bearings I installed did not last long either (given, they were cheap Align that were the only ones my LHS had near the size). The cap is also fubar as well trying to get it to reclamp.

The best motors personally I have had luck with thus far are the Hyperions and Hackers. My friend with a Vendetta, the Multiplex Permax.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

Ok fellas, you guys have heard of all these brands. What about HET motors? Good or Bad? Just found this.

For pylon /EDF jets up to 1400 grams
Suitable for EDF 50mm Micro fan

-Diameter : 24 mm
-Length : 29 mm
-Shaft Dia. : 3.17 mm
-Weight : 55 grams
-No load current(lo) : 1.8
-Internal resistance: 0.056
-KV : 6000
-No. of poles: 4
-Max Current: 28 A
-Max efficiency: 87%
-Power Nominal: 300 Watts

http://www.highendrc.com/index_eprod...products_id=83
Old 04-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Tech Regular

well like any other motor on the market some swear by them and others swear at them. I have heard good things about HET in edf jets just don't know anyone that put one in an car just be sure to check how much amps it's drawing wouldn't want to swell the packs.