Wiki Posts
Search

Parkzone Super Decathalon

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Parkzone Super Decathalon

I recently purchased a super decathalon and I am gettin ready to fly it. I have been using my 4.5 simulator for about a year and can fly most planes on there. Does anyone have any advice, tips, or suggestions that they would like to share? Thanks-Steve
Old 03-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Tech Rookie

If you do well on the sim you shouldn't have much of a problem with the Decathalon.

Fly high enough. Flying too low gives you no room to recover from a boo boo and should be left alone until you are quite comfortable with the plane. Leave yourself plenty of time to make several attempts at landing. Begin flying on the calmest days possible and keep the plane close enough you don't have problems seeing what the plane is doing.

That is about all that comes to mind. I hope you have a successful and enjoyable first flight.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'm no pro at flying but I found that even with a calm breeze of 5mph or below, the plane just floated away with the wind. Pick a VERY calm day, as this plane has NO weight and floats like a feather. I only had 3-4 flights before having to replace the prop because of a nose dive. I hope you have better luck flying than I did. For me, it was a complete waste of money.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. I will let you know how it goes, I am planning my maiden voyage this Sunday. Its supposed to be a nice day here in New England. I am going to fly in the A.M., which I have noticed it is generally calmer with the wind. I am hoping for wind under 5 m.p.h.. I will let you know what happens.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Tech Adept

I took the Decathalon out today and had so much fun today. I got three flights in. The winds were 5-10 m.p.h. I probably shouldn't have flown, but just had to get out there and try it. The first two flights were nice 5 min. flights. I got blown around a bit but it was still manageable. The third flight was going great until a tree jumped out at me and the plane went down quick! lol. Thats alright, today was a good learning experience and I cant wait to fix my plane and get out there, but just on a calmer day.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

start three mistakes high,

how comfortable did you feel with the plane? if you have that much time on a simulator, I would say fly the plane just to get used to the difference between a simulator and real life, then jump up to another plane right away.

What Kind of planes do you want to fly eventually?
Old 03-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

I feel very comfortable flying. With just the three channels, it feels as though you never have complete control of the plane. The only means of turning is the tail rudder and I think that having flaps on the wings with a 4 channel along with a little heavier plane would be better for control. I was thinking of purchasing a Trojan and sticking with electric foamies for a while. Eventually I would like to get into something gas powered, or more advanced down the road.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

More advanced yes, gas pawered, thats up to you. I have planes that have TOO MUCH performance that used to be gas powered. The t-28 is a great plane. otherwise the new parkzone extra that is coming out is more of a sport plane. I cannot say to much about it yet considering I have yet to fly it though.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by interplanet
More advanced yes, gas pawered, thats up to you. I have planes that have TOO MUCH performance that used to be gas powered. The t-28 is a great plane. otherwise the new parkzone extra that is coming out is more of a sport plane. I cannot say to much about it yet considering I have yet to fly it though.
I have to agree I would go with the parkzone T-28....one of the best flying planes out the box!
Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Also, try and find the biggest field you can. How many people can say that the only tree in the whole field, and their plane ends up in it!
For some reason that always happens.