Awesome afternoon flying my fleet of helis >

Awesome afternoon flying my fleet of helis

Awesome afternoon flying my fleet of helis

Old 10-04-2009, 05:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Awesome afternoon flying my fleet of helis

Hi All,

Been flying for close to a year now I think - CP heli's anyway.
Lots of info from here plus heaps of sim time has provided smiles that just don't go away.

Since my first CP heli (JP Twister storm\Blade400) my fleet has grown to include the following:

* Gaui 100 EP Pro (with 200 boom & blades)
* T-Rex 450
* CopterX CX500

This afternoon I took them all out testing setups of the gy401 & seeing how my little Gaui went with the HI-Tech HG5000 combo as the tail servo is pretty heavy for a 200. :whistle: ... :nono:

After a back flip with the Gaui I decided to try a roll... the tail didn't hold & produced some good laughs. I tried again but it ended in a boom strike. :shifty: But a few little things & a better servo to suit & she will be rocking again.
I then went right ahead testing the T-rex & CX500 setups - the 500 tail box decided not to stay in place causing me to power down & take her back to the table for a new bolt & locktite to make sure everything was good.

After this I went back to testing my 1/10th buggie for racing & put the heli's away for flying at a better location. :deal:
When we got there we ran out of memory which suxed because I looped the T-rex & found every now & then I was getting a massive clinch in radio control. ray: (I was using my old optic 6 sport setup) this caused a pretty big crash just coming around a left bank corner - had full radio lock out causing her to be in on the head from a tail slide.
Picked up the bits & then pulled out the 500 not to be out done!

Powered her up in stunt mode - hovered around to make sure everything was locked in as i was now using my DX6i - then for the first time I put her in FFF - pulled back & did the biggest loop I have done to date - was rock solid & smooth as :wigglie:
As I was again testing 2 x 3 cell lipo's I landed shortly after with a nice auto.

So two heli's down for now, the 500 was awesome for a first time flight, the T-rex450 will live, got all the spares I need back tail shaft & boom + belt - the gaui needs a few things but I will have them both back up & early next week. But over all I have a smile that will last for an age!

Oh - I also did a funny video of the 200 with a really slow tail servo - was funny as hell - I'll post that up shortly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6XkKA4EvVA

YouTube - Gaui 200 w/HG5000 Combo

YouTube - Trex 450 + GY401 test

YouTube - CopterX CX500 GY401 Test

YouTube - CopterX CX500 - tail twist

Last edited by RaZz0R; 10-04-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Looks like fun! Hey have you used a tach to check your head speed? They all seem a bit on the low side to me...from the sound in the vids.
How do you like that copter-x ?
On the subject of the Gaui, have you seen the vid of Nick Maxwell flying his in his garage?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Freakin kid is an amazing pilot. Lands it inverted about 3/4 of the way through.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hey - Yes I have seen that video - when I have my 200 setup again I will be going for it as well - probly not that good lol but I can do a fair bit of 3D now.

you are correct - I don't have a tach & I agree - the head speed on the 200 could be higher as it was only at 80% throttle. The 500 was just in normal flight mode with 60% throttle cap from mid stick, the trex450 with the align ESC... THB I think the ESC is dodgy. So I will be changing it over soon - it just didn't have enough punch fro the motor at all.

The CopterX CX500 is a direct copy of the Trex 500 - one of the better clones. One thing that is shitting me is the tail box - its not pinned on to the boom like it should be so I will be drilling it & putting a pin in there.
Aside from that - its actually really, really good.
It is rock solid in flight & in hover - the GY401 I have on it tho I don't really like & will probly move to the Hi-tech hg5000 \ logictec 2100 - or higher end gyro & better servo. It could do with carbon tail blades - the plastic ones are ok & it does hold rock solid in stunt mode with 80 ~ 90% throttle. The thing bloody moves too - when I did that big loop yesterday it took off so fast I reckon it cleared a football field in 2 seconds and it was smooth & solid all the way around in the loop including through inverted - didn't jerk as much as the 450 does sometimes (Tho that could be me lol) Apart from that & the screws & some alu parts being on the soft side when putting it together - its actually a really good kit - the carbon seems pretty well made as well.

However - like all RC kits - get the full quality ones - they are that much better. In retro I wish I just got the Trex 500 carbon edition - but I'll work on the cx500 till its mostly align parts & just as good as a full trex 500.