Wiki Posts
Search

starting helis

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Adept

Default starting helis

i want to start flying helis what should i start with

Last edited by racerguy13; 09-15-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Get the E-Flite Blade MCX. Its the most docile newbie friendly chopper out there. Low cost, durable, cheap replacement parts. And after you get tired of it you can go buy the Bind and Fly Blade MSR and save $30 becuase you already have a transmitter for it.

Based on my experiences and many others recently I would steer clear of the Novus CX. It is a lot more agressive and a bit more challenging than the MCX, which means you will get tired of it a lot less sooner than the MCX, but thats only if it lasts that long.

My CX has gone through 2 servo boards, both manufacture defects...I'm done with it. Many customers have had similar and some very odd glitches with theirs as well. I'll never recommend or sell another one.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I believe your very first dollars should be spent on a simulator. A simulator, will allow you to practice, practice, practice. It will save you more money than it's worth in the long run. Plus, you will most likely never stop using it. I have been flying helis for 6+ years now, and I still use mine to fine tune, work on new moves, and to just get a little stick time on a day I can't get to the field. Once you have gotten your simulator, or are just plain ready to buy that bird, I would go with a popular heli with local part support. Budget plays a big effect on helis too. Obviously the better more stable helis cost more. I have learned two things when it comes to helis. Buying the best your budget will allow because you really can tell the difference between good airframes versus cheaper airframes, and good servos versus cheaper servos.....And Two Most importantly is the setup. An improper setup provides for a miserably expensive situation. A good proper setup provides a good learning platform, fun experience, and can save you money....Flying helis, is one of the most exciting things to do in RC. No matter how many flights you have, each one is exciting and nerve racking. I would strongly suggest taking your time, start with a simulator, do tons of research, get the best heli you can afford (they have a better resale value anyway), and ask tons of questions. If you have questions or need more help, feel free to pm me.....and then I will tell you which helis I believe are good ones to start with. I have built and flown probably close to 30 of them, so I can also tell you which ones to stay away from. Below are two forums that have a huge wealth of knowledge, and should be able to help you a ton...I still use them all the time.....Good luck, and be careful....it's addicting!!!!!

www.helifreak.com

www.runryder.com
Old 10-15-2009, 06:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'd start by selling off all of the other hobbies you own because its going to be expensive. My buddy that I work with has like 15 of everything you could imagine. Well that might be an exaggeration, but he does have 2 decked out 450's and 3 decked out 500's and was getting a little too cocky one day(i'll assume) and wadded up one of his 500 to the tune of...oddly enough...$500.

Start with the MCX, fly the hell out of it, upgrade to the MSR, fly the hell out of it, then go for like the Blade CP, fly and crash the hell out of it, and if by that point you aren't broke, upgrade to something fancy.

Stay away from Helimax shit, yes I said shit.... The hobby shop I work at has nothing but problems with their crappy Novus CX. I even bought one and after 2 bad servo boards I said screw it and just bought he MSR.

If you don't believe me about the cost...well you should. I spend 8+ hours a day cashing people out for repair parts like crack heads buying rocks...

Another thing I've noticed is that if you don't treat helis like its a money pit, you know it, and you are cool with it, you will just be frustrated in the long run. Out of all the people that come in our store the heli guys are the only ones who don't bitch about the price of stuff...and they spend the most.

Last edited by mschaffer66; 10-15-2009 at 06:01 AM. Reason: added
Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

a simulator is your best bet first, after that if you can still handle the idea of a heli crash then a 450 size is a good way to start, or a blade 400 or axe 400.
Hobby city sells a 450 size for 45 shipped and xeli sells one cheap as well. But they both need some parts to be able to fly smooth. It would be best to check out some heli forums if you are serious about flying heli's.

I would stay away from the small helis like the mcx, its more of an indoor toy than a heli, same with the blade msr, being fixed pitch and all.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

I have some arf's for sale if you want to ad your own gear and learn while you do it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post13353271
Old 10-17-2009, 03:35 AM
Tech Rookie

The simulator is your best first, after that you can excise to fly lama v3 coxial helicopter,it's easy to fly.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

get a sim and practice it's alot cheaper than crashing, regarudless you are going to crash sooner or laterwhat go's up must come down. just don't give up.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

+ 8 on the simulator. I recommend the Reflex XTR simulator, its the most realistic heli sim and that is what its know for. Real Flight is not very realistic IMO.
I would stay away from a coax heli. Its not realistic of how a standard heli fly's. All you can do with a coax heli is hover and maneuver by skidding around, so its not realistic in that matter. Stay clear of an E-Flight Blade CP or CP Pro. They are pure junk. I hate eflight heli's but the MSR is redeaming itself to me with the e-flight heli products. I have flown one and its a good starting point. You have a tail rotor which allows you to do coordinated turns, its just as stable in a hover as a Coax heli. I have flown one and they are hands off in a hover but they are not happy in a hover below about 6 inches.
Like everyone has pointed out buy within your budget.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

I started with a axe cp found it easy to learn on way easier to fly than my freinds cp pro cheap too. I have 2 of them a blade 400 and a HK500 love them all.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Blade SR

There is soon to be another option: Eflite is about to release the new Blade SR: a collective pitch heli. I started with a Blade CX2 (coaxial) and managed to crash it several times. The good part of crashing a cheap heli is that you get to learn how all the parts go back together ! The Blade SR (due mid Feb) comes with a radio that "tames" it down and is incredibly stable. You can then upgrade to a DX6 radio and the SR is capable of full 3D.

Check out the video on YouTube. Price is about $200.00, and is RTF.

Obviously the sim (and training gear, IMHO) is an absolute. Just my 2 cents worth as a rookie myself.

Whatever way you decide to go, have fun: it's just money !!
Old 01-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I spent ALOT of time talking to my local hobby shop and to several of the guys who hang out there. They convinced me that if I really wanted to learn how to fly a heli and not just play, that I should stay clear of a coaxial heli. They all told me that the CX's are fun to fly and easy to learn, but won't go far in teaching the skills required to fly a full function CP machine.

So.... I bought RealFlight G5 to learn the basics on and an E-Flite Blade 400 to actually fly. CP's are MUCH harder to even get hover, but in the long run I'll probably learn alot more doing it this way.

Another reason to get the Blade 400 was the great Spektrum DX6i radio that it came with. It's a fully functioned computer radio for both heli's and planes and has a ton of features. Now whenever I want to get another aircraft I can just get the Bind and Fly version and use the DX6i.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by CaptCrunch
I spent ALOT of time talking to my local hobby shop and to several of the guys who hang out there. They convinced me that if I really wanted to learn how to fly a heli and not just play, that I should stay clear of a coaxial heli. They all told me that the CX's are fun to fly and easy to learn, but won't go far in teaching the skills required to fly a full function CP machine.

So.... I bought RealFlight G5 to learn the basics on and an E-Flite Blade 400 to actually fly. CP's are MUCH harder to even get hover, but in the long run I'll probably learn alot more doing it this way.

Another reason to get the Blade 400 was the great Spektrum DX6i radio that it came with. It's a fully functioned computer radio for both heli's and planes and has a ton of features. Now whenever I want to get another aircraft I can just get the Bind and Fly version and use the DX6i.
Cool ! Let me know what you think of your setup, as I am still "shopping" while waiting for the Blade SR to come out (and some reviews on it)
Old 01-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'm new to Helios but I'm enjoying my HBFP V2.

Crashed it a lot, durable and parts are dirt cheap when they need to be replaced.

So far everything I've read says FP will fly like a CP except for 3D which you wont be doing for a while.

FP is simpler, fewer parts, easier to set up and again cheaper to fix in a crash.

For $98 RTF I don't regret it a bit.

I bought some Superblade Xps and spare parts- total investment so far about $130.