Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Planning to get a heli

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Tech Adept

Default UPDATE

Here is an update guys. After the first crash (THAT WASN'T MY FAULT), I've switched radios. It took me quite a bit of time to figure out how to set up the RDS8000 with the belt cp, but eventually I figured it out. Internet wasn't very usefull. There aren't too many people using the Airtronics radios. I still have some tweeking to do, such as tracking and rear servo positioning, but it should be done within the next couple battery charges (my spare battery is on back order, 4-5 weeks).
I got it hovering about 3 feet. I'm still getting used to the controls and still learning the radio and controlling the heli, at the same time.

For those of you who are newbies, like myself who have no idea what I'm doing nor do I have a history with r/c flight, here is the setup I used for Airtronics radios such as the RDS8000 and similar.

Receiver Setup:
Channel 1: Elevator
Channel 2: Pitch
Channel 3: Throttle
Channel 4: Rudder and Gyro
Channel 5: Spare/Gyro (Headlocking ONLY)
Channel 6: Aileron
Channel 7: Spare
Channel 8: Spare

Radio Setup:
1. Heli Mode
2. Adance settings
3. Use CP3F Swash Plate Type (this is explain why Pitch is in Channel 2 and Aileron is in Channel 6
4: Elevator - Reversed servo
5: Aileron (which is controlling Pitch) - Reversed Servo
6: Throttle - Normal
7: Rudder - Reversed servo
8: Gyro - Not applicable
9: Pitch - Normal servo
10: Channels 7 & 8 - Not applicable

This should get you guys started running. I haven't played with the other settings, such as flight modes pitch curves and throttle curves, because I don't know what to do with them yet.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ghöst
Is the crash kit the "training wheels?" Cuz I made the I made some last night and put them on today. I don't want to put the CF blades yet cuz I want the wooden ones to snap instead of messing something else up.
I checked the main shaft, it's straight. I thought I bent it but it's fine.
Oh no.....a crash kit is a kit that contains a tail rotor boom, main shaft, feather paddles, and main/ tail rotor blades. If you want a training kit, buy a purpose built one. I tried the same thing too.....it ended in disaster. Make a mental note: IF you try to make a trainer....use whiffle balls (plastic balls with holes in it) instead of TENNIS BALLS!!!!

And oh...trust me.... your shaft is bent. It may look straight, roll straight or look like it spins straight.....it isn't. Once you re-assemble the rotor head and go for throttle up, the helicopter will shake violently. You will try to re-balance the blades, but they will be fine. (BTW..... did you buy a Blade Balancer?)

Buy a crash kit. Two if you are planning to hover right away. Also, if you have Real Flight, put your settings to realistic and add 2 to 5 mph wind gust to your sim and try to hover on your simulator. But no matter what, you will always develop knock knees (fear) when you hover.....
Old 11-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GundamWZero
Oh no.....a crash kit is a kit that contains a tail rotor boom, main shaft, feather paddles, and main/ tail rotor blades. If you want a training kit, buy a purpose built one. I tried the same thing too.....it ended in disaster. Make a mental note: IF you try to make a trainer....use whiffle balls (plastic balls with holes in it) instead of TENNIS BALLS!!!!

And oh...trust me.... your shaft is bent. It may look straight, roll straight or look like it spins straight.....it isn't. Once you re-assemble the rotor head and go for throttle up, the helicopter will shake violently. You will try to re-balance the blades, but they will be fine. (BTW..... did you buy a Blade Balancer?)

Buy a crash kit. Two if you are planning to hover right away. Also, if you have Real Flight, put your settings to realistic and add 2 to 5 mph wind gust to your sim and try to hover on your simulator. But no matter what, you will always develop knock knees (fear) when you hover.....
Interesting that you mention the violent shaking. It did that when I first got it. There's still minor shaking, but only when I first start it up and when it's slowing down. Not as much when I first got it. I wanna check my feathering shaft, but I don't have right tool. I gotta pick one up. My tracking is off and I really can't do much about. I do have the pitch guage, and it shows that it's fine but the tracking is still off. I'm gonna check the main shaft, once again, but I really wanna take a look at the feathering shaft.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I got an E-flite blade cx and within a month, I could move around just find with control. I need to get a CF boom and other upgrades. Time will tell how the upgrades will change but I hope for the better. I think you junped into a good heli but maybe had too many upgrades that threw you off. Live and learn and I think you learned. Keep it
Old 11-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

Default More Problems

Why didn't you guys smack me upside the head when I first said I wanted to buy the Belt CP????

Now my esc burned out...wtf?

it turns out the 2 most common defects with this Belt CP RTF are the radio glitches and the esc burning out.
I'm calling xheli tomorrow to see what they will do. I'd rather just get a refund and buy something else. These defective components already caused me injury and damage to heli. I don't think I want deal with this belt cp anymore.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Why didn't you guys smack me upside the head when I first said I wanted to buy the Belt CP????

Now my esc burned out...wtf?

it turns out the 2 most common defects with this Belt CP RTF are the radio glitches and the esc burning out.
I'm calling xheli tomorrow to see what they will do. I'd rather just get a refund and buy something else. These defective components already caused me injury and damage to heli. I don't think I want deal with this belt cp anymore.
Well, I did indirectly offer to kick you in the nuts.
That offer is still on the table BTW.

Don't get too discouraged. This is where that patience you said you don't have, would come in handy. The same thing happened with the first t-rex I had. The Futaba gear I was using, glitched on the ground just like that, the very first time I had it powered up. And the 25 amp ESCs that shipped with the kits at the time were crap.

RC helis are kinda like Microsoft operating systems. All of them get rushed to market and it's up to the end user to find all the bugs, bitch about them and eventually they might get worked out one way or another (sometimes with, and sometimes without, the help of the manufacturer).

Definitely call the retailer, vendor, manufacturer, anyone that will listen, and see if you can at least get a replacement esc. Again, patience.

The head shaking can be caused by several different things but, if the head shakes when it spools up and down I would first check that the blades are fully extended during startup and are not too loose in the grips. You should be able to extend the blades and turn the heli on it's side with the blades horizontal to the ground and the blades should not fold under their own weight without a bit of motivation in the form of an up-n-down shake. How much shake, is hard to describe over the internet. Also that ESC does have a soft start feature, doesn't it? If it doesn't you've probably bought some old stock.

Bent shaft?.....ppppfffttt! Straighten the damned thing out! I don't know how many times I've straightened bent main shafts and feathering shafts. Of course, I usually use a lathe to hold mine and a dial indicator, but I've done several by eye, using a hand drill to hold/spin them.

Also, make sure the blades are tightened equally. Hold the heli in place, with your feet or whatever, the head should be able to turn freely. Place even pressure on both blades at the tips, toward the tail, as if you're going to fold them for storage. The head should remain in it's original position (with the flybar pointing fore and aft), and both blades should fold back at an even rate.

As far as your tracking being off, you said you can't do anything about that, and I wonder why not. I'm not sure if you're aware, that your pitch gauge will get your blade pitch fairly close, but tracking has to be done apart from that. In order to adjust your tracking, mark one blade tip with a red sharpie or something highly visible. As the head spins up, you should be able to see if the marked blade is high or low. If it's high, adjust the pitch link to decrease the amount of pitch for that blade only. If it's low, adjust the link to increase pitch for that blade. Try 1/2 turn at a time and you'll have them tracked in no time. You'll have to check track and possibly adjust, each time you change blades. Wooden blades (and all blades really), have a tendency to warp, twist, etc., over time, so you'll have to keep an eye on their track. I wouldn't go out and buy a set of CF blades right away, but a good, cheap, light weight, set of plastic blades might not be a bad idea for learning to hover.

The fact is, ANY heli you buy is going to present challenges of one kind or another.
That's why;
if patience (value≤0)
+ budget (value≤0)
then heli (value=0)

BTW, have you tried a sim yet? There are a few available for free and/or trial/demo on the net. You can even use your airtronics tx with most of them, if you do some research. Using the keyboard sucks, so you'll at least wanna use a gamepad.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Tech Adept

I called Xheli, they told me that the radio cannot glitch. They basically wanted me to spend more money to get this thing working. I would have just exchanged the radio and burned esc had they not told me that "the radio can't glitch." So I gave them more heat. I told them that their defective product caused damage to the helicopter and caused me injury, which both are true. So he told me to be careful when I use the helicopter and that the radio can't glitch. Therefore, they don't warranty crashes.

So I got pissed off cuz he said that radio can't glitch. There is a write-up in a another forum about these glitchy radios. I also know that at least 1 person that works @ xheli knows about these glitchy radios. They have their own forum and this issue has been brought up.

They also want me to absorb the cost to ship the radio, rx, and burned esc for replacement.

Xheli does not have good cutomer service. So, since I was in the heat of the moment, I told them I don't want to deal with them anymore. I want to return the item and get a full refund. He said ok, and to check my email for return instruction.

We'll see what happens. I think I'm gonna call my bank to assist me on this one. It's too bad, cuz I almost want to keep the heli. I got that thing running nearly perfect. I was able to fix the tracking. It's almost there. It's no longer shaking. It's close to a no hands hover. But then the esc burned out and customer service at Xheli is poor.

Btw, I do have FMS as a simulator. I can fly the heli upsidedown. Even on the G4 simulator, I have it hovering and inverted flight. I'm just not very good at landing it. 3D is next.

What do you guys think, should I return the heli with the new blades and main gear I purchased locally, or should I return it with only the damaged parts?

Last edited by ghöst; 11-24-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

What do you guys think, should I return the heli with the new blades and main gear I purchased locally, or should I return it with only the damaged parts?

That's a tough one. You'll probably have to get a feel for what's expected from the reps comments or from the e-mail. If it were me, I'd probably go through the trouble of restoring the thing to pristine condition, only to be told later that it wasn't necessary. I guess you could consider the cost of the parts as a heli rental fee.

As far as the seller saying the radio can't glitch, I've noticed over the years that RC people have widely varying definitions for the term "glitch". In his mind he may be thinking that it's the receiver and/or ESC that glitched in your case, and not the radio, because some people don't consider a radio malfunction to be a "glitch". I guess it depends on exactly what was said and his definition of the term.

All this really sucks because I wanted to get an in-depth review of the RDS8000 out of you.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Tech Adept

Well, to be more fair, let's call the radio glitch a malfunction or defect. There's was a write up about how to fix it. It deals with what's called "pots" inside the transmitter. More can be read here: http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=84254
One of the issues I have with Xheli, other than the "customer service" rep being a bit of a punk, is that they claim that they "'test' the products three times, prior to being shipped out." When I had the mishap, it was the first time I turned on the radio with the helicopter. After 15 seconds of throttle up, I dropped the throttle and it wouldn't turn off. I moved the throttle stick up and dropped it to 0, which finally shut off the motor. I throttle up again. After about 30 seconds, I dropped the throttle to zero so I could turn off the helicopter. As I was about to reach down for the battery leads, the helicopter throttles up on its own, while I'm hold the throttle stick at 0. I doubt they do a very good job testing the products.

As far as the RDS8000 is concerned, I do like it. It's not the best looking TXs available and it's only limited to a 10 model memory, but for the price and for it's functions (at least the functions that I know as of now), I think it's one better options for a beginner (like me) to intermediate flyers. For $230 and 2 receivers (if the special is still going on), it's a great buy. I'd recommend it to a friend. Two things I wish were different would be: #1 - it could use a backlight and #2 - the battery capacity could be better (such as the 1100mah rather than the 700mah). It should give about 2.5 hours of continuous use.
I'll let you know more about the radio as I learn more about the other functions.
Mind you, I may be a little biased. This is my first helicopter/plane radio. Although, I was considering a 6 channel futaba prior to the Airtronics.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Let me make it easier for you; get a T-Rex or go nitro.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GundamWZero
Let me make it easier for you; get a T-Rex or go nitro.
definitely no nitro. too much work.
trex is definitely on the menu.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

Default Got my Trex

I got my trex. now I just have to build it.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Let the fun begin!!!

Did Xheli give you a refund on the belt cp?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Your best investment right now would be a flight sim. Just hit reset when you crash instead of going to your LHS or waiting for ordered parts. It will help you flying the real thing.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by helibrian
Let the fun begin!!!

Did Xheli give you a refund on the belt cp?
yeah I got a refund, minus their restocking fee. I should have listened to begin with. Even though I have the plastic rotor head, this thing is so solid. To be honest, the belt cp isn't a bad heli. The only parts I don't like about it are the electronics.

Originally Posted by grahats
Your best investment right now would be a flight sim. Just hit reset when you crash instead of going to your LHS or waiting for ordered parts. It will help you flying the real thing.
I'm using FMS. I'm not much of a sim guy. It feels more like a video game to me than anything. I've tried the G4 as well. Even though graphics and functions are much better, it's still feels like a video game to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.