Wiki Posts
Search

Helicopter shopping

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Thanks, Thats what I'll do.
I did get that T-rex downloaded, looks great.

It might be awhile before I get a T-Rex.............
Gotta get this Sim down. Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by yoshgixxer
Wow!! Thats incouraging Wish I had some extra $$$.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

"400" or "450" size dosnt signify blade length like the "600" or "700" its signifies 600mm blades or 700mm blades (690-710 actually) it means brushless motor size, they can use a 400-450 size motor
And since there is no brushless motor size naming convention standard, I still don't know why they didn't call the blade 400, a 450, since the blade uses what e-flight calls a 420 motor as opposed to what align calls their 430 in the t-rex. E-flight could have just as easily named their motor 426 and rounded up.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (98%+)

i guess 450 makes it sound better? lol but true all mini helis are damn near the same size
Old 11-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sure it makes it sound better. I think they would sell more of them to the guy standing there going, hmmmm Blade 400 or t-rex 450. Instead he'd be thinking hmmmm a 450 sized heli RTF for 450 bucks or a 450 sized heli kit that I'll wind up spending 7/8 hundred bucks on to get it to RTF status.

Actually until the blade 400 came out, all the "400 sized" helis I'd ever seen, used 280mm blades (shogun, MX400, EP Caliber 400, etc.). Idunno, it just seems strange to me that they would designate it as a 400.

As far as the SA goes, I'm not sure what that stands for, but it's an economy version of the SE. The frame plates are aluminum instead of CF and there is a lot less of that pretty blue aluminum on the head and tail. Of course the SA can easily (but not cheaply) be converted to an SE. They are the exact same heli, just built with different materials. Personally I use an all aluminum head except for the blade grips. If I have to piledrive it, and somethings got to give, It's gonna be those plastic grips. I think of the grips as a sort of crumple zone. Anyone wanna buy a "never been used" set of aluminum grips?

And on dimerip87gt's question;

"I just got a sim tonight, real flight g3.5, Wow!!
Its tuff, is this really how it is........."

...oh no.......nope.
It's way way tougher.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thats kinda good to hear, this sim is so tough its almost discouraging.

Any advice on hovering?

I can fly that little helimax EZ pretty good though
Old 11-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

WHAT???

and how would sumthing that is " Hi End" break easier??? from my experience high end stuff dose not break easy....i never broke any of the aluminum parts on my 450 scratched em up but never like snapped a blade grip off like would happen on a all plastic heli like the blade 400

Align is GOOD stuff...high end would be avant, synergy, MA etc...

Trust me on this align is great and parts ARE CHEAP! way cheaper then eflite stuff...

i have pile drove my 450 a few times and it maybe at the most and im talkin, needing boom,skids, main shaft, feathering shaft,blades,flybar links etc. has cost me about 40-50 bucks,and all the parts come in packs of 2 and 3,so you got spares for the next few times!
my t-rex breaks very easily. but yet again it just might be the concrete im crashing into. but they are very good helis without a doubt.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Any advice on hovering?
well i learned how to hover by first starting to learn with the tail facing me at all times,also find the .30 size nitro heli with the training gear i think its the impala,its pretty sluggish and not very twitchy that should help,also pull the D/R (dual rate) switch down to de-sensitize it more....

all i can tell ya is tiny little stick movements, get it a foot or so off the ground and just try to keep it there...once you can keep it still forever then move the heli 90 degrees so the side is facing you,do this right and left, and then the dreaded nose in, once you get it down in all four ways start flying slow figure 8's........ but really the easiest thing to do is find some one near you who flys and get them to help you out, ill get on my sim tomorrow and host a flying session and you can join and we can fly together on the sim...go to online and click join and look for "dustins heli time fun fly"

dont be discouraged not long ago i was thinkin what your thinking, this aint never gonna happen! but it will, its all training your brain and your hands to work together with out really thinking about it
Old 11-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

my t-rex breaks very easily. but yet again it just might be the concrete im crashing into. but they are very good helis without a doubt.
that will do it has it ever really blew apart in the air from a part failure?? i doubt it?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thanks yoshgixxer, I tried that heli you sugested. Its a night and day difference. I'll join ya tomarrow for a session. I didnt know we could do that with these sims. very cool.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

and then the dreaded nose in,
the dreaded nose in... that's funny!
You're right, it's all about training the brain. To be able to split your brain into two separate halves and then be able to flip and turn each half individually. Then have your hands follow.

has it ever really blew apart in the air from a part failure?? i doubt it?
Mine has. And it was scawy....sniff... Align's plastic blades don't flex so well in below freezing weather! I still love my rex though. With the setup I've got it's just as stable as my 30.

Originally Posted by dimerip87gt
Thats kinda good to hear, this sim is so tough its almost discouraging.
I think you mighta mis-understood my answer. I shoulda made it more clearer...ly...ish. When I said it's way tougher, I meant flying an actual heli is tougher, not the sim. The sim is annoyingly easy.

Originally Posted by dimerip87gt
Any advice on hovering?

I can fly that little helimax EZ pretty good though
Since you can fly the EZ you might wanna use it to practice nose in. Learning to fly nose in is about the most important and hardest part about it, I think. Once you've got that, everything else seems to progress easier.

Don't get discouraged.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

The sim is annoyingly easy.
True cus you dont have to pay every time you lawn dart it! still flight characteristics are close, especially if you go in the sim and edit the models set up to mock your actuall helicopter (servo speed,pitch,head speed,cyclic pitch, etc.)

Align's plastic blades don't flex so well in below freezing weather!
and at 3200rpm head speed which im sure you had em swingin at dont help either!! thats why i always buy good blades!

broken blade+face= hospital trip
Old 11-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

honestly...the 400 is a "good deal" i guess...but the gyro sucks and the radio pretty much sucks,the esc is good, but the brushless motor dosnt have alot of power..and the stock lipo is so-so. known to puff easy,,,and if you go to any fun flys or flying fields...for every 10 align helicopters you will see you might see 1....maybe...
I guess everyone has their opinion but I have to completely disagree with these statements. I have close to 100 flights on my 100% stock Blade 400. IMO:

Helicopter flys incredibly well, does basic rolls loops, fast foward flight no problem. Gyro works perfect, radio is VERY NICE, motor is incredibly strong, will accelerate almost out of sight in a few seconds. I've heard several times the power to weight ratio is significantly better in the Blade 400 than the Trex 450 SE V2 since the V2 is so much heavier. Oh, I would agree the stock lipo is "so so". Mine puffed up too, but Horizon sent me a replacement free of charge in 2 days

I've also heard the Trex 450 is a better machine overall but you have to consider the price difference. My local hobby shop sells the Blade 400 for $375 (with radio). A new Trex 450 with everything is what, double or triple that price? I couldn't justify the difference. TRUST ME, you will LOVE the Blade 400. The quality and flight performance is amazing for the price.

Now, having said all that, if you've never flown anything, I'd start out with a CX2 or something coaxial. (my 2 cents worth)
Old 11-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Let me add something.....

DON'T get a TAIL MOTOR-DRIVEN heli!!!!

I highly advise you to find a electric heli with a belt driven tail rotor...you will be able to transition from micro to 500 and 600 size without a hiccup. A major factor is the gyroscope..... on a heli that has a motor driven tail rotor has a built-in on board mixer, so the onboard system controls the amount of pitch the tail rotor needs to counter the main rotor torque. When you switch to gas powered or advanced electric helicopters, you will need a gyroscope....something that you will have to set yourself. With RTF helis, it's all plug and go....they are indeed easy to fly, but once you want to step up to bigger or better helis, you will find that getting the proper setup frustrating.

As for hovering, follow this acronym:

Keep It Simple, Stupid.....

Trust me....you will be cursing yourself a lot when it comes to hovering!!!

Stay low to the ground.

Use small movements.

Apply small amounts of power to maneuvers such as pitch and roll. Applying power when you pitch up the heli can cause your heli to slow down, but will cause the heli to climb. As you roll (or turn) the heli, you lose lift. You are going to need to apply a little power to maintain altitude.

And no matter what you do, fly in OPEN AREAS!!! Rotor blades can do some serious damage......either gas or electric!!!

When you think you are ready to switch to scale helicopter flying, look me up. Then I will introduce you to a Governor.....which will change the way you fly forever.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

When you think you are ready to switch to scale helicopter flying, look me up. Then I will introduce you to a Governor

you should use a governor on every nitro helicopter scale or 3D.And yes governors are very nice, i like my ATG V3 works great and holds the head speed pretty damn good no matter what i through at it,and deffinatly maks the heli fly smoother

Gyro works perfect, radio is VERY NICE,
it way hold nice under low speed tricks im sure, but once you get into piro maneuvers you will quickly find it has very inconsistent piro rates. and with tail forwards flying it will bust loose and blow out.

As far as the DX6 that comes with it, yea its nice..but it dosnt have all of the features a DX-7 would have like the 5 point pitch curves and all of the mixing and set up functions...works good for now..but you will see once you get into advanced stuff you will be searching for options it dose not have.

This guy will msot likely buy used (why not) and you can STEAL Trex 450's now days for cheap and ready to fly,you can find DX-7's for 150 bucks all day long, so why not get the best you can get especially with a radio that way you dont have to go back and buy more stuff when you get to that point.

AS far as starting out with a co-axial...fun but you wont learn much, your better off on the sim, a co-axial VS. a CCPM driven tail heli...no similarities at all, fly 100% different. stick with the sim then get a good 5 channel heli

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.