Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
Wanting to begin RC Planes! >

Wanting to begin RC Planes!

Wanting to begin RC Planes!

Old 12-29-2006, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Wanting to begin RC Planes!

I'm wanting to start flying RC planes. Been racing RC cars for a while, and its getting kind of boring. What would be a good starter plane? Anything around $150 range? Would be nice to have a decent radio and everything RTF included.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Try going to www.rcgroups.com and have a look there, it is mainly rc planes.

Glenn
Old 12-30-2006, 07:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well, just like with RC cars, it depends on what you intend to do. For $150 the best you can get is a park flier. It gets you in the air, but there isn't alot you can do.

To get something you can grow with, you need to spend a little more. A good airplane radio alone is better than $150.

I asked this question to my LHS last year. It's more of an airplane shop than a car shop anyway. He pointed me toward a company called E-Flite. They make some good ARF planes. They also have Plug and Play versions where the servos, motor, and speed control are already installed. All you need is a radio. And a LiPo battery and charger.

RC Groups is a good site, but tough to navigate if you're not sure what you're looking for.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Tech Addict

I just my got brother inlaw into flying planes as he has messing with toy planes (airhogs etc.) and we set him up with a cheap 4 channel radio (JR you can them really cheap with Servos) and a GWS Slo-Stick it is really easy to assemble and will teach you a lot about flying in the process with out being too intimidating, plus it is very cheap and easy to repair once you crash (and trust me we all do at first) He is using Orion Avionics Li-Po batteries, ESC motor and charger everything can be purchased through Horizon Hobbies if you want all the part numbers on the complete set PM me.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree with the slow stick recommendation. Its a lot of fun to fly, but requires minimal wind as it has low airspeed. You can either go with the brush motor that comes with the kit, or go brushless and possibly lipo depending on how much money you want to spend. Planes are fragile, but this one is very tough and forgiving and will give you a chance to build skills with minimal frustation. I bought my slowstick in a package deal that included a GWS 4 channel radio and micro servos, battery, charger for around $130.00 usd. I still use the 2 servos,and radio on my 3D plane but now run brushless and lipo power.