Search

Traxxas DCB M41 Widebody...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Traxxas DCB M41 Widebody...

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted up in here yet. I'm holding on to hope that they offer some less intense hull color options, but the boat looks like it'll be a blast. Great bang for the buck.

https://traxxas.com/products/models/marine/DCBM41
Old 05-18-2016, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

I like the idea, but its all plastic. I had one of their vee hulls and got rid of it for that very reason. And trim tabs on a cat?? They are not needed.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
I like the idea, but its all plastic. I had one of their vee hulls and got rid of it for that very reason. And trim tabs on a cat?? They are not needed.
I agree with you on both points, but keep the targeted demographic in mind. This is a relatively inexpensive, easy way to get in to a fast boat. I've been a carbon, glass, and wood hull snob for a long time, but some of my favorite boats over the years have been ABS/some form of plastic. The ABC Cesa and Super Hawaii. The Graupner Key West and Tornado, even the Traxxas Villain (which would be awesome to see as a re-release with a flex drive, separate rudder setup). The common denominator here is that they all are a bit more scale than their glass counterparts, which helped drive sales.
I've owned some MHZ cat hulls that would run circles around the DCB, but each cost (conservatively) 3 or 4 times as much once they hit the water. Factor in Traxxas' customer support and parts support, and it's an appealing package for those that just want something that's 100% ready to hit the water.
Even as a long time racer/hobbyist, this boat appeals to me. I'll admit that I'm swaying more towards form than function in this case, but it's obviously not a slouch in performance, either. I'd likely remove the trim tabs and work on adjusting the boat's attitude with the drive and battery location. I assume Traxxas added them to prevent newer drivers from constant blow-overs.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
Have you been reading my postings on Facebook again?
For $450.00 I'd expect more than a plastic hull. The trim tabs must be a Band-Aid fix for a poor-handling hull.
With the Courtney Force inspired paint scheme it still looks like the painter dropped acid.
After the $450.00 you'd still have to buy battery packs and a charger if you don't already have them. It won't be fast enough then out comes mo' money for upgrades.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ron Olson
Have you been reading my postings on Facebook again?
For $450.00 I'd expect more than a plastic hull. The trim tabs must be a Band-Aid fix for a poor-handling hull.
With the Courtney Force inspired paint scheme it still looks like the painter dropped acid.
After the $450.00 you'd still have to buy battery packs and a charger if you don't already have them. It won't be fast enough then out comes mo' money for upgrades.
Still a fraction of what I've spent on my MHZ builds, for a pretty good percentage of the same experience. This boat obviously isn't targeted at a certain type of hobbyist. $450 doesn't feel like a lot to me, considering the boat's size and equipment. The plastic hull seems to be the main rub for most people. The trim tabs could be a band aid - or Traxxas' attempt at keeping newer boaters ugly-side-up closer to top end.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I bought this boat. I have had some fun with it. Running on 6S. Couple of things to note:

- The water cooling is USELESS out of the box. The single rudder pickup is a joke, and the electronics get very hot, very fast. It is almost criminal that Traxxas would sell this boat as it is currently setup.

- The vercro strap system for the batteries is poor. I needed to add lots of stick on velcro to get the batteries to hold.

- I love the color theme. The boat is great looking, and looks great on the water. It is a nice size, and the cockpit detailing is great.

- Very easy to work on, with the exception of getting the batteries to hold in place with the straps.

- Did I mention the cooling is USELESS. I do not know how a company the size of Traxxas can mess that up so bad. You only have the drive the boat for a few minutes to realize the electronics are not being sufficiently cooled. Also, throw away the included motor jacket. It leaks like crazy.

I have plans to add a new rudder with dual (actually functioning) pickups. I have added RC Boat Bitz trim tabs and a motor jacket. I also added a CNC prop, however the electronics overheated almost immediately, because there is very little water cooling them.

Great boat for a toy. All you need to get it setup correctly is about $300-$500 in aftermarket parts, lol.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:45 PM
Tech Addict

I've seen barely used ones going up for sale on some Facebook RC boat groups already.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the exact same issues the spartan had when it first came out.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:47 AM
Tech Regular

Good to know... Few guys i know run the Aquacraft Motley crew and love it. Fiberglass and RTR for $350.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alavigna
I bought this boat. I have had some fun with it. Running on 6S. Couple of things to note:

- The water cooling is USELESS out of the box. The single rudder pickup is a joke, and the electronics get very hot, very fast. It is almost criminal that Traxxas would sell this boat as it is currently setup.

- The vercro strap system for the batteries is poor. I needed to add lots of stick on velcro to get the batteries to hold.

- I love the color theme. The boat is great looking, and looks great on the water. It is a nice size, and the cockpit detailing is great.

- Very easy to work on, with the exception of getting the batteries to hold in place with the straps.

- Did I mention the cooling is USELESS. I do not know how a company the size of Traxxas can mess that up so bad. You only have the drive the boat for a few minutes to realize the electronics are not being sufficiently cooled. Also, throw away the included motor jacket. It leaks like crazy.

I have plans to add a new rudder with dual (actually functioning) pickups. I have added RC Boat Bitz trim tabs and a motor jacket. I also added a CNC prop, however the electronics overheated almost immediately, because there is very little water cooling them.

Great boat for a toy. All you need to get it setup correctly is about $300-$500 in aftermarket parts, lol.
this is the Traxxas business model
Old 07-02-2016, 04:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xrocket21
this is the Traxxas business model
Amen Brotha!
Old 07-09-2016, 08:40 AM
Tech Rookie

great to know for Traxxas lover
Old 07-22-2016, 07:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Water cooling not worth a S..t.

Wow boat worked great the first time. After that its been a disaster. Motor not getting enough cooling, Prop - cable drive wont stay locked in. Rudder intake is not clogged but insufficient to keep motor cool. What parts do you recommend for the dual intake and water jacker.

Originally Posted by alavigna

Old 07-22-2016, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

This conversion kit is kinda pricey, but it sounds like it'll solve all the problems inherent with a stock Traxxas boat.

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...rodID=PRB08021

Last edited by Sorcerer001; 07-23-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I believe everyone should 1st buy a good looking, under-engineered boat to learn how fiberglass/ CF reinforcement works, as well as the right way to measure and install a bigger flex shaft. Thank You Master Kyosho 888 for showing me the way ;-)